where is the best place to purchase a new ignition module and coil pack?

What Dennis said, plus the modules are hit or miss at best.

There is a very simple reason for this especially in performance builds that must have a very strong spark at high RPM and boost.

A couple years ago after weeks of frustration and MANY new modules and coils from various brands, John Spina of Casper's gave me the reason these new parts, from the USA or off-shore, all used many substitute components from those used 30 years ago, so they cannot duplicate the part, or obviously the performance of the original part.

Fortunately Bob Bailey has solved this issue for me and many of my customers by his all newly engineered and hand-built TR6!

The current stock replacement parts seem to work on fairly stock TR's, at least hit or miss like Mike stated, but not in most performance builds we have done?

Has the TR6 changed in any way since Bob Bailey started making it? At the east coast Buick event in sept there was at least one case where a TR6 unit stopped working and reinstalling the stock module allowed the car to run. One other person locally has had two bad TR6 units.

Has the TR6 changed in any way since Bob Bailey started making it? At the east coast Buick event in sept there was at least one case where a TR6 unit stopped working and reinstalling the stock module allowed the car to run. One other person locally has had two bad TR6 units.

We have installed many TR6 units and they all are still working.

I have a GN here that I installed a fresh engine, and then it would not start with the TR6?

Removed the the TR6 and have tested it on 4 other cars, and worked on all of them. Installed his original coil pack/module and it runs fine.

So is there a possibility that your local persons have a wiring issue, and not a TR6 unit?

Of course you have verified that the 3 "bad" TR6 units have been tried on other GN's to verify that both were bad or defective or not set properly, and would not work on another turbo car before you posted this information?

I cannot tell you how many factory modules/coil packs are in my scrap pile as the are not working at all.

Partial information is bad information, especially on the internet where it can and does affect someone and/or their product. The least you could have posted information that these "bad" units would not work on other TR's.

Odds are that a TR6 will fail sometime like most all man-made parts, but what are the odds that 3 units are bad in your local area when this is the first time I have heard of any TR6 failure other than minor issues in the first field test units?

I have found the tr6 to be very sensitive to cam sensor adjustment. It seems to have a lower tolerance for a slightly misadjusted cam sensor in order to start. That may have been the reason for the stock coil pack to work when the tr6 didn't.

We have installed many TR6 units and they all are still working.

I have a GN here that I installed a fresh engine, and then it would not start with the TR6?

Removed the the TR6 and have tested it on 4 other cars, and worked on all of them. Installed his original coil pack/module and it runs fine.

So is there a possibility that your local persons have a wiring issue, and not a TR6 unit?

Of course you have verified that the 3 "bad" TR6 units have been tried on other GN's to verify that both were bad or defective or not set properly, and would not work on another turbo car before you posted this information?

I cannot tell you how many factory modules/coil packs are in my scrap pile as the are not working at all.

Partial information is bad information, especially on the internet where it can and does affect someone and/or their product. The least you could have posted information that these "bad" units would not work on other TR's.

Odds are that a TR6 will fail sometime like most all man-made parts, but what are the odds that 3 units are bad in your local area when this is the first time I have heard of any TR6 failure other than minor issues in the first field test units?
The local person owns multiple TRs and the "bad" units were on two different seen, but I guess and tested on others. The car at the track was using LS coils and XIM along with the TR6. Maybe that had something to do with it. Odds of 3 cars having wiring issues vs odds of 3 non working TR6 units? Like mentioned above, maybe they are just overly sensitive to cam sensor position compared to a stock module and that is the issue. Not sure. My personal car went through two newer modules, one being bad out of the box. Currently using a NAPA Gold module that was new in box from 1992. At some point the TR6 may become our only option if the quality of replacement stock modules doesn't improve. Anyway, just sharing what I've seen, but compared to your experience I guess it's irrelevant :rolleyes:

Last edited:
where is the best place to purchase a new ignition module and coil pack?

Since you asked here is a link with my .03 worth about what works best for me as far as the ignition module. The coil pack i use the BWD brand i bought it at O'Reilly auto parts it is far better than the brands autozone sells. Both have a lifetime warranty so i only pay once,then they replace it if something happens to them. I like to save money and always look for the best deal i can find on anything i buy. Here is a link also for the O'Reilly auto parts BWD coil pack.

http://www.autozone.com/ignition-tu...erByKeyWord=ignition+module&fromString=search

http://www.autozone.com/ignition-tu...ylinders-7-3-8l-sfi-ohv-turbo/367490_90768_0/

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...ition+coils_5000098_-1&keyword=ignition+coils

Last edited:
The TR6 expects the cam sensor to be adjusted to factory specs. The stock modules will sync to any cam signal timing (not necessarily a good thing). Some of the aftermarket modules are like the TR6 and want a stock timed cam signal.

Its certainly possible to program the TR6 to accept bad cam sensor timing, but is that the direction we want to go?

Bob

[QUOTE="TurboBob, post: 3604814, member: 350".......................Its certainly possible to program the TR6 to accept bad cam sensor timing, but is that the direction we want to go?

Bob[/QUOTE]

I do not want bad cam sensor timing, but I would like to be able adjust the cam timing to advance the start of the sequential signal when we go to larger duration and lift cams, as we want fuel earlier in the cycle.

It is not unusual to advance the cam sensor in a high performance engine setting and see that the idle and response is much better.

Advancing the cam sensor to affect the injection timing is folklore as far as I have been able to discern. There may be other effects with timing chain slack and cam sensor clearances that people are compensating for.

The TR6 expects the cam sensor to be at basically stock timing, and will work fine when advanced a bit. I can open up the sync window in the advanced direction if you want to experiment.

Bob