You can type here any text you want

Which Camshaft for almost stock hot air

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

85begalttype

just a v6
i have a unopened 85 hot air motor, with AFPR, TT chip, LT1 maf and translator.

What cam would you recommend? Im going to upgrade to the 3inch downpipe, simple porting on the intake manifold., alky and ta33c turbo in the near future
ive done lots of searching but everyone has different cam recomendations. should i stick with a stock profile? or go with the edelbrock #5487 204/214. dont think i will be able to get the Erson 208/208. What would be best for street ? i cant afford to upgrade to roller .

The cam will provide very small gains. The stock cam was designed for these motors specifically. You should only replace your cam if yours has serious issues. Otherwise, I believe stock cams have been into the low 11's with no problem.

On a hot air car combo like your plan, we use a 206/206 cam and it ran great.

Unless you are going to do mods beyond that, our experience shows that would be an excellent choice, not just a guess. :)

On a hot air car combo like your plan, we use a 206/206 cam and it ran great.

Unless you are going to do mods beyond that, our experience shows that would be an excellent choice, not just a guess. :)

Well ignore me I guess lol.

Well ignore me I guess lol.

ive been struggling with low oil pressure for a while now, going to replace the timing chain/gears and valve springs since thats way overdue. and now im getting top end ticking sound that gives a bad missfire. thought i might as well order a cam since i might need to replace that also, and need new lifters then. Im not looking for a big performance improvement, just thought over the years that there might be something better than stock.

what is a good brand? i heard bad things about comp cams. Is Edelbrock good with gm oem lifters?

^ not sure where you got your info on comp cams. i have a comp in mine with no issue.

if you want the correct cam call nick micale (vendor) @ Home

I used the 204/214 Edelbrock and really liked it, both as a hot air and IC'ed. Very smooth idle, pulled harder than the stocker and the postons 110 or whatever I tried before. Break it in correctly and used some good additive every once in a while (or all the time, depends on your opinion) to make it last. I think with your mods, you will be able to take advantage of the slightly larger cam.

I used the 204/214 Edelbrock and really liked it, both as a hot air and IC'ed. Very smooth idle, pulled harder than the stocker and the postons 110 or whatever I tried before. Break it in correctly and used some good additive every once in a while (or all the time, depends on your opinion) to make it last. I think with your mods, you will be able to take advantage of the slightly larger cam.

i was thinking the 204/214 , would i need to get the heads modified to fit or would i be able to install this cam without taking the heads off? what is max lift on stock heads? .448?

Cam should drop in without modifications. BTW, if you're serious about the Edelbrock 204/214, let me know, I have a new one w/GM lifters sitting around that I never used (built the engine up and went with a roller instead), just have to dig it out...

ive been struggling with low oil pressure for a while now, going to replace the timing chain/gears and valve springs since thats way overdue. and now im getting top end ticking sound that gives a bad missfire. thought i might as well order a cam since i might need to replace that also, and need new lifters then. Im not looking for a big performance improvement, just thought over the years that there might be something better than stock.

The low oil pressure issue, what is your plan of attack? Replace oil pump, pull motor and go through it?

Chuck

The low oil pressure issue, what is your plan of attack? Replace oil pump, pull motor and go through it?

Chuck

I dont think there is any internal damage besides noise lifters sometimes.
im going to pull the timing cover and do the earl brown mods, replace oilpump gears, inspect pickup and screen. inspect cam and lifters and rocker shaft and rockers. then decide on what needs to be done. and also replace the timeing change and gears and springs due to high mileage

Back