You can type here any text you want

Which posi and whos gears???

• Thread starter Thread starter coach
  • Start date Start date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
C

coach

Well Wednesday night at the track I watched KevinW25465 blow his stock gears to bits with a good trans brake launch. His car is in the 11 flat area with alot more to go. Well its time to swap out the unit on his car and mine. What are you 10 second guys running for posi's and whos gears??? My car doesnt need it yet, but my next engine is a stroker with a 45a on it. We already have Moser axles.

Thanks
Coach

Convert it over to a 9 inch and you should be ok. A little more than rebuilding one but it is one of the better options.

Don't mess with it unless you need to...Plenty of cars have been low 10's with stock stuff, you can't judge by one isolated incident.

Dont feel like going that route with this car. My next car will be a caged T, and then I will 9 inch it. I am keeping the GN's rear. Just want to upgrade the posi and gears before dropping in a stroker. Already got the tranny and axles and drag radials.

:biggrin:

Don't mess with it unless you need to...Plenty of cars have been low 10's with stock stuff, you can't judge by one isolated incident.

Not really judging off one incident. I have blown up 7 GM rear ends over 20 years. I have brittle tested the steel several times ( I am an engineer)and came to one conclusion...if you have one and big HP, your living on borrowed time. I drive my car to the track so I dont trailer. It would cost me the price of a posi unit to get it towed home from there.

Side question. Did you know your GM posi gears were once possibly a bathtube in the 1950's?...thats good steel. Im not joking.

Well if you just have to spend your money then I say Eaton Posi because it's a proven piece...No idea what gears as I was always told that GM had the best gears on the market.

I used the Locker, Moser axles, [NOT a choice I'd make a second time], Motive Gear, and a MW 1350 yoke... Never a problem in the 9's at 142.....

I am keeping the GN's rear. Just want to upgrade the posi and gears before dropping in a stroker. Already got the tranny and axles and drag radials.

I have some Moser spool and axles into my car's original 10 bolt housing along with the stock GM 3:42 gears in it :eek: and it has always held up to date. :wink:

Claude. :smile:

Not really judging off one incident. I have blown up 7 GM rear ends over 20 years. I have brittle tested the steel several times ( I am an engineer)and came to one conclusion...if you have one and big HP, your living on borrowed time. I drive my car to the track so I dont trailer. It would cost me the price of a posi unit to get it towed home from there.

Side question. Did you know your GM posi gears were once possibly a bathtube in the 1950's?...thats good steel. Im not joking.

If I were you I would change the rear end WHEN you do the stroker. And in that I mean just axles. These 8.5" rears are strong. For a guy who races, a 9" is the way to go. Crawl under all the fast cars and most run 9" Fords.

BTW, where did you get your engineering degree from? What field?

Jason

If I were you I would change the rear end WHEN you do the stroker. And in that I mean just axles. These 8.5" rears are strong. For a guy who races, a 9" is the way to go. Crawl under all the fast cars and most run 9" Fords.

BTW, where did you get your engineering degree from? What field?

Jason

I already have axles. I also know all about the 9 inch Fords. My Pro Steet car has a Pro Mod 9 in it with 4:86 gears and 35 spline axles. The GM ring and pipnion gears I have never tested, but the spider gears are junk and have been for years. I am pulling the rear out this winter to get it powdercoated and my friend who sets up gears for Bair's Corvettes is the best there is for doing installs. While its out it getting done.

My degree is in Tool and Mold design. The metallurgy degree was obtained from Seco Warrick Corp. I went through a 4 year apprenticeship to become a toolmaker and then went to Gannon and Penn St to get the design part finished. Both colleges work for the state apprenticeship program. Meadville Pa is the tooling capitol of the world. Been doing it for 19 years.

If you were closer I'd trade my 9" full floater for the 8.5. That would solve both of our problems.:biggrin:

I already have axles. I also know all about the 9 inch Fords. My Pro Steet car has a Pro Mod 9 in it with 4:86 gears and 35 spline axles. The GM ring and pipnion gears I have never tested, but the spider gears are junk and have been for years. I am pulling the rear out this winter to get it powdercoated and my friend who sets up gears for Bair's Corvettes is the best there is for doing installs. While its out it getting done.

My degree is in Tool and Mold design. The metallurgy degree was obtained from Seco Warrick Corp. I went through a 4 year apprenticeship to become a toolmaker and then went to Gannon and Penn St to get the design part finished. Both colleges work for the state apprenticeship program. Meadville Pa is the tooling capitol of the world. Been doing it for 19 years.

Very few rears fail though...just remember that. And if he is the best, write him a check and let him do his thing!

I have read that is Meadville's claim to fame!

Jason

Coach, I just did this after breaking an axle in half lauching off the trans break. After about a month of searching and comparing here is what I went with. So far no problems at all. Eaton 30 spline posi, moser 30 spline axles, richmond 3.42 gear set, and a TA rear end cover. Here is the link I posted on here with pics of it. Costed me about 1500 total with paying for setting it up. Thats cheap for these cars lol. Daniel Ray
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/turbo-lounge/316726-finally-new-rear-end-going-together.html

I am going with the Eaton Detroit Locker. I already have new Moser axles, and a TA rear girdle. Im just thinking C-clip elims now. I will use the GM ring and pinion.

Attachments

• U.R.TOAST1.JPG
    U.R.TOAST1.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 198
I used the Locker, Moser axles, [NOT a choice I'd make a second time], Motive Gear, and a MW 1350 yoke... Never a problem in the 9's at 142.....

What was the issues with the axles? I'm going to get a new carrier and don't want an issue with axles. What kind would you get if not Moser?

am going with the Eaton Detroit Locker. I already have new Moser axles, and a TA rear girdle. Im just thinking C-clip elims now. I will use the GM ring and pinion.

How are you liking the Locker? I don't drive my GN much and don't want to ever have an issue with the posi, leaning towards the locker.

What was the issues with the axles? I'm going to get a new carrier and don't want an issue with axles. What kind would you get if not Moser?

How are you liking the Locker? I don't drive my GN much and don't want to ever have an issue with the posi, leaning towards the locker.

I havent done anything to my car yet. It has been trapped at the tranny shop since Oct. I am getting it back real soon, so upgrades will start ASAP.

Back