Which route should I go

You ran the trans without cooler lines? had you filled the trans before you attempted to start it?

How many times have you started and stopped the engine?

A.j.

yes just to see if the motor would run since this wasmy first build....im thinkin it may be the starter...i started and stopped it maybe about 5 times but the 5th time i was in the process of breaking it in but it started to overheat and i shut it off the next day went out to start it....it started right up butwouldn't stay running then i moved the disb to the left then it started making the noise a little so i turned itback to the right.....then it started then all of a sudden i started getting a loud grindin noise when the starter engages..

Ok, I bet the timing went a little tooo far advanced - and it kicked back on the starter, damaging the gear.

Pull your starter and look at it, while your under the car in that area, atleast make a loop of High Pressure rubber oil line for the cooler ports on the trans - and fill it up with fluid. that will save the trans.

When you get the starter out, look at its gear and the teeth on the flexplate.. if it looks OK... IE no missing, ground, chewed up teeth then the starter may have just moved a bit and needs to be shimmed.

Were gonna get you boosted.........one way or another.

A.j.

I think you're right Aj. It sounds like you may have chewed up the flex plate or starter. Since it's you first build take your time Lorenzo. We've been helping you because we want to see you suceed and have a fun car. If you get frustraited it's normal, don't sweat it. Take a break and do something else for a while. As far as the timing do what I said about putting the timing mark back in place and check the teeth in the distributor again. See how far off they are. You may have advanced them way to far and if you have you can just back it down some.

Don't feel bad Lorenzo, I haven't driven my car in a year and a half. You have way more "drive" to get your car done than I do. I work on mine about 2hrs a week. I don't think it will get done this year;)

And I'm still gathering parts for mine so don't feel bad. By the way, have you introduced your self in your state section yet? You might find some help there to.

I too highly recommend doing that. THat's how I got hooked up with jeremy, keith, and a few others. If it wasn't for jeremy and a few others that are within driving distance I'd still be lost on half my parts

ok i will i got a chance to climb under the car today and seen the starter was cracked...im still trying to get some help routing my water hoses

When you put the new one on use a 1/8" allen wrench and make sure you can put it between the flexplate and the shaft coming out of the starter. This will give you the correct spacing for the clearance. Glad to see you took a break and it's not as good as you thought.

bad starter is much better than a bad flexplate or some other stupid nonsense!

So were still in the run, OK...... which waterlines are the problems?

:cool: A.j.

i just dont know where to run the coolant port on the intake manifold....and i dont know where to run the coolant port on the water pump...i know one of the coolant ports on the water pump runs to the thermostat housing

coolant line on the intake is water coming out put that on the plenum in (front)and the coolant line coming out the out on the plenum put to the heater core in skinny side. The other side out of heater core connects to pump water returning,and the other hookup on the pump goes to water neck just on back of pump

ok thanks thats how ive been had it...maybei jusst need to add some anti freeze and a t stat when i get it back running

well im back in business put on another starter and she fired right up...now im trying to put the down pipe on ...i tthink the bottom of the heater core maybe in the way

well im back in business put on another starter and she fired right up...now im trying to put the down pipe on ...i tthink the bottom of the heater core maybe in the way

Good answer. The downpipe will probibly have to be modified to clear. We'll be waiting. :biggrin:

damn i figured that. Its going to be hard as hell modifiying the downpipe...i actually had the engine running a while today it didn't over heat by the factory gauge it was around maybe 190-220...on mygauge when it hits 260 thats when its in the red..also if i was to go to another carb that would be comp controlled so i can use my disb what are my options?

got the down pipe on...so nothing on top wont catch on fire the motor still runs alright but sounds like a firecracker pop...i wonder is the carb causing this? or whats causing this