which scanmaster to buy?

jdaniel1983

I was wondering if the scanmaster that turbo tweak offers for 249 is the one I should buy? I want a new one.

IMO- Forget the Scanmaster and get the Powerlogger for about the same price. Get a used laptop cheap. Tuning with a scanmaster is like pissing up a rope. Wasted time and effort. Powerlogger tells you where you are at with a simple graph. Good luck- Brad

IMO- Forget the Scanmaster and get the Powerlogger for about the same price. Get a used laptop cheap. Tuning with a scanmaster is like pissing up a rope. Wasted time and effort. Powerlogger tells you where you are at with a simple graph. Good luck- Brad

get best of both world a powerlogger and a snanmaster. that way you dont need a laptop and you can monitor your info on the scanmaster

get best of both world a powerlogger and a snanmaster. that way you dont need a laptop and you can monitor your info on the scanmaster

I didn't know the powerlogger worked just with a scan master? Do you get the same info without the laptop?

Good point Brent- I actually have the updated Scan. and only use the powerlogger for real tuning issues which a Scan can't help. Brad

Good point Brent- I actually have the updated Scan. and only use the powerlogger for real tuning issues which a Scan can't help. Brad

cant answer if you can get everything but i think you can. all the important info i know you can get.

so , would you suggest to get both??? what exactly can you do with the power logger??? do you need a scanner to be able to use the power logger?

You don't NEED a Scanmaster to use the Power Logger.
I've had a Scanmaster on my past two Regals but have longed for some sort of logger for troubleshooting the vast array of issues our beloved cars have. :rolleyes: :mad:

I'd recommend having both if you can afford it.
The Scanmaster is right there in front of you while you're driving or tinkering.

Here's a link to Full Throttle's ad and description of the Power Logger:
FULL THROTTLE SPEED - Item Description Page

You don't NEED a Scanmaster to use the Power Logger.
I've had a Scanmaster on my past two Regals but have longed for some sort of logger for troubleshooting the vast array of issues our beloved cars have. :rolleyes: :mad:

I'd recommend having both if you can afford it.
The Scanmaster is right there in front of you while you're driving or tinkering.

Here's a link to Full Throttle's ad and description of the Power Logger:
FULL THROTTLE SPEED - Item Description Page
................................... ah, so can you maybe give me a quick over view of what exactly you can do with the power logger???? thanks, sorry for all the questions, and sorry for high jacking the board......:biggrin:

so , would you suggest to get both??? what exactly can you do with the power logger??? do you need a scanner to be able to use the power logger?

K guys here is the scoop. Power logger is meant to record information in real time, just as directscan, fast, etc. You do not need both. Power logger let you graph your engine performance while monitoring everything that the scanmaster does. Now in order to tune it you need one of two things. Along with the power logger you need either a laptop or a scanmaster. If you get a laptop you can log 25 frames per second witha scanmaster you can log 5 frames per second. So overall powerlogger and laptop would be best. Now you can do a search for powerlogger here and download the actual program so you can look at it and research it.

I plan to get Power Logger as soon as the funds allow BUT....
Not to push the Scanmaster or flame logging but......
Logging/Laptops aren't front-and-center on the dash as a Scanmaster is for on-the-spot tuning.
You can't babysit BLM's from a laptop on the passenger seat...or watch your knock or O2 readings, etc..
Am I thinking wrong here?

Some sort of logging is a MUST nowadays.....especially when you hit a brick wall on trying to figure out a problem.
You NEED to be able to pull up a specific frame to illustrate your problem(s).
But for on-the-spot tuning, isn't an on-the-dash-in-line-of-sight item a must-have?

I know, I know....it sounds like a lot of money but, take it from me, if these two items will save me from chasing my tail trying to figure out a problem they're worth their weight in GOLD!

K guys here is the scoop. Power logger is meant to record information in real time, just as directscan, fast, etc. You do not need both. Power logger let you graph your engine performance while monitoring everything that the scanmaster does. Now in order to tune it you need one of two things. Along with the power logger you need either a laptop or a scanmaster. If you get a laptop you can log 25 frames per second witha scanmaster you can log 5 frames per second. So overall powerlogger and laptop would be best. Now you can do a search for powerlogger here and download the actual program so you can look at it and research it.
ok, so the power logger lets you see more than the scan master... but what tunnig can you do with it???? i meen, can you do any adjustments with the power logger and a lab-top? is if so, what adjustments can you do???? thanks...... just a little confused.....:confused::biggrin:

ok, so the power logger lets you see more than the scan master... but what tunnig can you do with it???? i meen, can you do any adjustments with the power logger and a lab-top? is if so, what adjustments can you do???? thanks...... just a little confused.....:confused::biggrin:

No powerlogger just logs how your car is acting. You need an item such as max effort chip, turbo tweak chip, etc. something able to adjust fuel settings. The scanmaster is good for monitoring your knock, etc. However once your finished with the run you can go into the laptop and replay your run, seeing where your car actually went lean and adjust fuel from your chip etc. at that point. The Power logger is mainly a more intense scan tool that lets you replay your run and see actually where your issues of fuel and air mixture are.

No powerlogger just logs how your car is acting. You need an item such as max effort chip, turbo tweak chip, etc. something able to adjust fuel settings. The scanmaster is good for monitoring your knock, etc. However once your finished with the run you can go into the laptop and replay your run, seeing where your car actually went lean and adjust fuel from your chip etc. at that point. The Power logger is mainly a more intense scan tool that lets you replay your run and see actually where your issues of fuel and air mixture are.
aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh, i see said the blind man....:biggrin: ..... so its just more of an intense tool, that gets more indepth......... cool.... whats up with the diffrent scanmaster, 2.0, 2.1 ech... what is the diffrence between them... if any one knows....:confused:
:biggrin: ..... you know, i learn something new every day about are cars in this site.......

i see said the blind man....:biggrin:

Get a wideband o2 sensor and a powerlogger -learn how to use these tools and the mystery and foolish guessing is over. The only way to tune our cars is with a computer log. Only a fool tunes with a Scanmaster and drives at the same time. My 2 cents and I will move on. Brad

i see said the blind man....:biggrin:

Get a wideband o2 sensor and a powerlogger -learn how to use these tools and the mystery and foolish guessing is over. The only way to tune our cars is with a computer log. Only a fool tunes with a Scanmaster and drives at the same time. My 2 cents and I will move on. Brad
what is the diffrence between the wide band o2 and a hot o2?????

My two cents is don't waste your money. You do not need a wide band. Others will tell you the same like Steve Yacklin the designer of the Max Effort chips

i will disagree with you till the day i die about that. Buying a Wideband is the best damn thing i have ever done to my car. no you dont need it but if you want to tune your car to its potential you need a WB. tunning with a NB is just asking for blown head gaskets or a blown motor.