white stuff in radiator?

matt87

guys i have a problem in my radiator. i installed a re-cored unit in my car about 4 months ago. i replaced it cause of white junk on the coolant passages. i figured it was original and the car was running hot. i run water and two bottles of water wetter in the summer and a little anit freeze for lube. i run the same setup in both cars. i winterized both cars yesterday and noticed my new radiator was coated in white chalky stuff. wtf! its brand new! the other car has had the same re-cored radiator in it for 4 years now and it looks new inside still. any ideas whats causing this? the only difference in the cars is one has aluminum heads and one has iron. bad grounds cause this??? i'm miffed.

Silica Dropout

Matt,
That white stuff is called silica dropout. When using any silicated antifreeze, you will have this problem. (BTW, our cars require this type of antifreeze if antifreeze is used at all.) The silica drops out of suspension when it's effectiveness is used up. Add to that the dissimilar metals in the engine and you get electrolysis. The charged particles are attracted to the metal surface and BAM! White deposits on the ends of the tubes again. It's like your very own turbocharged electroplating process, just it ain't gold, and you get no brownie points from the signifigant other for it either. :D Water Wetter has no provision for solving this problem. You need to switch to RMI-25 to solve this problem. RMI-25 encapsulates the silica to prevent it from being able to adhere to the metal surfaces of the radiator. It also helps minimize the electrolysis that causes the harmful deposits to stick in the first place. Doing this pretty much eliminates the problems you're having. Also, in summer (read: NON-freezing temps) you can run water and RMI-25 alone, no need for antifreeze, as the RMI has all the same protection as antifreeze does, EXCEPT for freezing protection. Also, this will allow the engine to run cooler as water disipates heat far better than antifreeze, and you now have water in place of the antifreeze. Nice bonus for the warm months. :D In winter months where temps will go below freezing, you simply use a 50/50 mix and add 8oz of RMI-25 to the mix and the RMI will prevent the problems while the 50/50 mix is in the radiator. Soon as all threats of freezing are over, switch back to water and RMI again. If you don't have the threat of freezing temps, you never need to run antifreeze again.
Where do you get this RMI-25 stuff? Ask your favorite Buick vendor if they have it. If not, give us a call, we carry it. (412) 655-8787

Dan McCann
O.G.S. Distributing
Pittsburgh, PA

thanks for the tips Dan, just find it weird that one radiator is coated after 4 months while the other is clean after 4 years. maybe the aluminum speads up the process?

Originally posted by matt87
thanks for the tips Dan, just find it weird that one radiator is coated after 4 months while the other is clean after 4 years. maybe the aluminum speads up the process?

I am sure Dan can elaborate on the problem you get with dis-similar metals in solution - it is called electrolysis and will put the sacrifical metal into solution. RMI is also a safeguard against this.

The aluminum radiator I put in my Riv 10 years ago looks like new as it always runs with RMI, and flushed twice a year.

Dan, could you please be a little more specific when you answer a question!:D Just kiddin':D

Jacob

Thanks for bringing that up Chuck. Regarding the distilled water...I'm sorry I didn't elaborate on the water point. I'll do so now. :eek: Always, if at all possible, use distilled water. If you can't use distilled water (from north and no still :cool: ) then use a Brita water filter to filter the water. It will remove impurities to a degree and help balance the PH levels of the water. The purer the H2O, the better.

As far as the requirement for a silicated antifreeze, that is due to the type of solder joints in our systems. Oue solder joints are lead based solder joints. OAT (Organic Acid Technology) based antifreeze does not provide any protection for lead based solder joints. Among antifreeze, only silicated antifreeze will provide this protection. RMI also provides protection for lead solder joints, and hence the ability to run just RMI and Distilled water in the summer months.

Trust Nick when he talks about radiators, he knows his cooling systems, being in sunny but cool Arizona.

OK, enough for now...

Dan McCann
O.G.S. Distributing
Pittsburgh, PA