You can type here any text you want

Why does going fast make my windows pop out?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
That was..

my way of telling that I had passed 130mph, during the run. Same place on the track, every time.:D

Everytime I try to go fast with the Buick the windows pop out. The door windows that is.

When they do pop out you hear wind noise and it's hard to get the windows to go back up right again - the only solution is to slow down to like 45 mph and try rolling them up again.

Is something inside the door worn out? How can i fix this issue?

Thanks.

To answer your original question, "why does the window pop out at high speed?" is that the outside surface of your glass is slightly curved. When air passes over this surface at a high speed it creates a negative pressure on this side. Which is called "lift", same principle of the curved upper surface of an airplane wing. The bottom of the wing is flat, the top is curved, and air passing over it (curved surface) causes negative pressure, causing the bottom flat positive pressure to push the wing upwards, which gives airplanes their lift. Same as the window, it wants to go "out", not "in" at high speed. My advice is to slow down to under 150 mph:D

Bruce '87 Grand National

Thanx Dennis....to my knowledge the door hinges are fine as the doors both shut correctly and do not sag. I do know there's some play in the window going in and out...I believe you said you sold the parts to fix this issue?

This is the part Dennis is talking about GBodyParts.com Online I'm sure Dennis sells them as well.

To answer your original question, "why does the window pop out at high speed?" is that the outside surface of your glass is slightly curved. When air passes over this surface at a high speed it creates a negative pressure on this side. Which is called "lift", same principle of the curved upper surface of an airplane wing. The bottom of the wing is flat, the top is curved, and air passing over it (curved surface) causes negative pressure, causing the bottom flat positive pressure to push the wing upwards, which gives airplanes their lift. Same as the window, it wants to go "out", not "in" at high speed. My advice is to slow down to under 150 mph:D

Bruce '87 Grand National

Thats what I was thinking when I read this thread this morning, but I didnt have anytime to post. I smoke and I noticed when I was going around 70mph the windows would not pop back in until I slowed down a little. I normally turned the air off so I didnt put more pressure into the cabin of the car, it helps a little but I still had to slow down to get them to sit right :rolleyes::mad:.

When you can do that it means your not going fast enough, the jet wash from that mustang you are racing is causing a low pressure area near your car.

Resolution is add more boost, fuel or bigger turbo and mroe fuel.

my way of telling that I had passed 130mph, during the run. Same place on the track, every time.:D

Thats funny....i was thinking the same thing when i was reading this post...i had the same thing happen at 160+mph in my vega..same spot on the track every time..kinda scary,felt like the doors were gonna rip off....:D...LOL

Back