You can type here any text you want

Why does going fast make my windows pop out?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

"Turbo-T"

V6 on steroids
Everytime I try to go fast with the Buick the windows pop out. The door windows that is.

When they do pop out you hear wind noise and it's hard to get the windows to go back up right again - the only solution is to slow down to like 45 mph and try rolling them up again.

Is something inside the door worn out? How can i fix this issue?

Thanks.

There are supposed to be some window ''blow out'' clips mounted outside on the door post pillar to prevent this from happening...Maybe you're missing them?

Claude. :)

How's the condition of the pop out clips at the upper front of the a-pillar? Windows going up all the way? Window have a lot of movement when doors are open?There is a nylon bracket that is riveted to the glass at the back part of the door that usually dries up and breaks (Especially if anyone has pulled glass out to break in). The nylon on the glass fits around a metal pin that is bolted to the top of the door (under door panel). You have to cut the old rivets out, when I replaced mine I just used small bolts with aircraft nuts to hold the new one to the glass.

I had the same problem when I first got my GN, I replaced all the seals around the doors and windows. And did the window rattle kit from kirban, The Blow out clip was fine, but I replaced it anyways. It might seem like a little over kill, but that's what I had done to fix that problem.

I think it still has the blow out clip. There is a tab looking like thing where the A pillar top and the drip moulding area meet. Not sure if this it and if so how good mine is.

How much play are the windows allowed to have? They do move a little inwards/outwards.

Yes the windows go up all the way.

Anyone have a pic of either the blow out clip or the nylon bracket that is riveted to the glass at the back part of the door?

Mine got progressively worse as my door hinges got worn. Since the door was sagging down a bit it would not let the door glass fit up snug to that blow out clip. As soon as I got up to speed the pressure would pop out the glass. Once I replaced the door hinges, problem solved:D

kirbans 2 cents worth

The advice above from other members is pretty much dead on. You do not mention if you have a solid roof car or a T-Top car. T-Top car could be a little more work to solve the issues.

The blow out clip the above members refer to has a hard rubber like coating on it. Sometimes that comes off and you may just have a small metal tab up in the front corner of your a pillar.

If you have bad door hinges that problem has to be fixed first so the door seats properly. If they do shut the door with the window in the full up position and see if it tucks under the blow out clip. The purpose of that clip is to keep the window from popping out.

If it continues to pop out it will put additional wear on the door internal parts and by making a little play at the base of the window translates into a lot of window play near the top.

We have a booklet for window rattle problems and we sell window rattle kits like have been mentioned above.

It is a major problem with these cars especially T-Top examples when you put that much power to the street.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Past owner of many many turbo regals

My car is a hard top car.

Those blow out clips look like a black rubber coating is on them.

I don't think my door hinges are bad. How can I tell? The doors dont sag or anything.

Hmmm, sounds to me like you approaching ridiculous speed, be carefull ludachris speed aint much farther.

kirbans 2 cents worth

The advice above from other members is pretty much dead on. You do not mention if you have a solid roof car or a T-Top car. T-Top car could be a little more work to solve the issues.

The blow out clip the above members refer to has a hard rubber like coating on it. Sometimes that comes off and you may just have a small metal tab up in the front corner of your a pillar.

If you have bad door hinges that problem has to be fixed first so the door seats properly. If they do shut the door with the window in the full up position and see if it tucks under the blow out clip. The purpose of that clip is to keep the window from popping out.

If it continues to pop out it will put additional wear on the door internal parts and by making a little play at the base of the window translates into a lot of window play near the top.

We have a booklet for window rattle problems and we sell window rattle kits like have been mentioned above.

It is a major problem with these cars especially T-Top examples when you put that much power to the street.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Past owner of many many turbo regals

Dennis.... I have seen you chime in helping guys lately..... I just wanted to say thanks.

A man of your knowledge can always be used for helping the less knowledgable... like me.

Thanks for taking the time.

kirban 2 cents worth

You got hardtop and hinges don't sag and your blow out clips have the rubber insulation on them. You are ahead of the game.

I assume your windows are going the full distance when closed? That leaves two areas of concern. I also assume you have power windows. For some reason don't ask me why because my mechanical skills are very poor, power window set ups seem to put harder wear against the window door guide parts over crank windows.

Assuming all your weather strips are in good shape including the outside door sill ones that narrows it down to the internals in the door. The main one being the plastic guide that a pin seats in the back corner. (Hard to explain). The felt wears on the brackets that press against the door glass over 22-23 plus years of use.

The end result is your door glass probably has a good bit of movement front to back and outward and inward. If that is the case you need the window rattle kit we developed, to correct the problem. We sell a complete kit to do one door window.

I can assure you if you are popping the windows your car is not air tight causing that to happen. Buicks back then were far far down the list of quality control.
Ironically that has changed and now they rank number one alongside Jaguar another shocker to the industry.

That is my intelligent answer/guess

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Owned a few perfer crank windows any time over power windows in a Turbo Regal

Yes I have power windows.

Weather strips could use a replacement. They're starting to show their age. Can't spray the side of the car with a water wand w/o a little trickling down inside the window.

The glass is movable inward/outward...maybe 1/4 inch to 1/2 an inch...guesstimate.

Hmmm, sounds to me like you approaching ridiculous speed, be carefull ludachris speed aint much farther.

Yeah it must be too much power flexin them windows. Guess I should just turn down the boost some so it can be a turd like every other car built in the last 30 years. :rolleyes:

kirbans 2 cents worth

from the answers you state above you need new weatherstrips and window rattle kits to correct the problems also the booklet we sell that shows you how to do the project.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

owned a few over the years

Well I found out today what's happening is the windows will come outwards and will hit the window retaining clips and get stuck there.

Well I found out today what's happening is the windows will come outwards and will hit the window retaining clips and get stuck there.

kirban 2 cents worth

My thinking on your problem...is the plastic window guide which controls movement in and out is worn....and possibly door alignment or bad hinge would also contribute to the problem....

Problem is the entire GM format for the window set up was weak from day one especially the power window set up...I am sure they saw the issue but with the rear wheel drive platform ending...issues were never addressed.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

That's why they put sunroofs in some of the cars, when mine pop out, I just open the sunroof and close the window! lol

kirban 2 cents worth

My thinking on your problem...is the plastic window guide which controls movement in and out is worn....and possibly door alignment or bad hinge would also contribute to the problem....

Problem is the entire GM format for the window set up was weak from day one especially the power window set up...I am sure they saw the issue but with the rear wheel drive platform ending...issues were never addressed.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Thanx Dennis....to my knowledge the door hinges are fine as the doors both shut correctly and do not sag. I do know there's some play in the window going in and out...I believe you said you sold the parts to fix this issue?

Back