You can type here any text you want

Wild cam

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

coreyhayman

Ok guys im new to the whole gn scene, i recently sold my supercharged c6 corvette and picked up a 87 gn with 103k miles on it. High miles i know but i plan on changing the whole drive train anyways, Ok so down to business i wanna build a nasty nasty motor for this car but still keep it a 6. Im thining
gn1 se heads, ta aluminum block, stroker kit yada yada but to go along with this i want a nasty lumpy cam for the little 6. Iv searched for videos of cammed grand nationals and come up with nothing, anybody have any videos? whats a nasty lumpy cam with excellent gains for these cars?

You wont find lumpy cams in 99.99% of Buicks you find since the owners bought them to be a quick street car with excellent driving manners. Those types of cams will destroy a combo so bad that there is no solution but to throw it away. There is so much more involved in choosing a proper cam that most could realize. If your using more than 225*@ 0.50 and making less than 800hp you have a serious tuning issue or the cam is wrong for the combo. The fastest of the fast are under 250*@.050. The turbo will extend the rpm band a lot more than most would think. If you are serious about building a nasty TA/S2 blocked larger cube V6 PM me with more details. Plenty of talent here in CT and we could easily get you what you need. Give details about the application such as if its going to be a race car or a street car. Transmission preferrence, etc. Big differences in the parts selected. You will also need to have the proper safety equipment and certs if you want to be able to use this type of power on a drag strip. We have you covered there too.

These motors don't wake up like the ls motors with just a cam. All my ls friends are throwing 248+ cams and valve springs on a stock motor and making big power. There are really fast V6 cars running 206/206 and 212/212 cams.

I run a 224/224 custom comp roller cam in my GN,it's street driven with a stroked 109 block.I also wanted a slight rough idle so I set the idle at 850rpm and it has a slight lumpy idle.Still nothing like a v8!

got any videos of how it sounds? im not only looking for the performance gain but i also want to have a nasty idling v6

If youre going to build an engine with all those high dollar parts, why would you put a used cam in it?

If you really want to hear what a nasty cam in a BUICK V6 sounds like, go to youtube and do a search for user DonW21G. Or, go straight to this link:
YouTube - DRW / Buick V6 Alky v3.2 20L video test

If you were to go with most of the suggestions made in this thread, you'd end up with a stocker sounding engine.

Yea.. not really streetable, but... if you wanna hear a big cam V6...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bktB_4NJzU[/YOUTUBE]

got any videos of how it sounds? im not only looking for the performance gain but i also want to have a nasty idling v6

I used to have a Reed 223/223 502/502 before I went with the roller cam, I never ran across another Buick with that cam. It sounded pretty radical I would have people come up to me at car shows and swear I had put a SBC in the car. I have a small video clip but I would have to convert it and save it on the computer which I can do if you are interested.

When that cam wiped a lobe I did more research and found that you do not need a lot of cam for a wicked fast car.....I was also looking at the roller cams which idle more docile even large cams. I have the 210/215 roller cam now, the car does have a noticeable lope but nothing like it did...I still would not go back much more power and not have to sweat about wiping a lobe again.

Really sit and think about what you want these are no where in the same category as the LS cars you can have a very nasty street buick without having to pop money for a stage motor. Decide on if you want a street car or a race car and how fast you want to go...there are a lot of guys on this board with very fast cars and willing to help.

Good luck!

I used to have a Reed 223/223 502/502 before I went with the roller cam, I never ran across another Buick with that cam. It sounded pretty radical I would have people come up to me at car shows and swear I had put a SBC in the car. I have a small video clip but I would have to convert it and save it on the computer which I can do if you are interested.

When that cam wiped a lobe I did more research and found that you do not need a lot of cam for a wicked fast car.....I was also looking at the roller cams which idle more docile even large cams. I have the 210/215 roller cam now, the car does have a noticeable lope but nothing like it did...I still would not go back much more power and not have to sweat about wiping a lobe again.

Really sit and think about what you want these are no where in the same category as the LS cars you can have a very nasty street buick without having to pop money for a stage motor. Decide on if you want a street car or a race car and how fast you want to go...there are a lot of guys on this board with very fast cars and willing to help.

Good luck!
i'd really love to hear how that sounded, my car will mostly see track use but occasional cruises and shows, i dont mind driving something with a lumpy cam. I want a really mean sounding gn that i can run 9's on in street trim on 94 octane pump gas and alky and beable to possibly go into the 8's if i want on race gas.

Back