will a 7.5 take 500hp

BandAid

Keyboard Bully
I have a peg leg in the regal,turboing a 5.3 motor,i can get a 7.5 posi for about $200 shipped,this is 100% street duty so their wont be any hard launches at all,just wondering if this is just a street driven 550 hp car ,do i really need to blow a grand on a gn rear if i can run this,,this is a budget build in all the sense's

I dont see why not. I would at least run it till it pops. I cant believe what they get for those 8 1/2 gn rear ends. I was a fool. I sold the last one I had for $600. Lots of camaros out there running hard with the 7.5. If I come across one cheap I will let you know.

thanks buddy..:D damn i wish you sold it to me for $600;)

The opinion is going to depend on who you talk to. I blew mine apart last weekend with under 400 WHP and a tight converter. I also ran a mini spool, drag radials and raced it on a preped track so that increased the stress, but from my experience I can say... If you want to put power through it don't put a sticky tire on it or shock it hard and it should be ok. Even with street tires I would highly suggest an aluminum girtle cover to give the carrier bearings some extra support.

TA, strange and I think moser all make one.

I wrecked most of the parts in the center section, the carrier was the weak link which ended up coming apart to wreck the mini-spool and the gear set. The axles are a moser replacement so they didn't break but the one end seems to be bent.

Not trying to scare you by any means but I suggesting not thinking the diff is super strong because it's not.

Arthur

if the tires are spinning it wont break.As soon as you start getting it to ook just a little bit like 1.7s even 1.8s BOOM!!!

My buddy had an 86 Grand Prix with a Pontiac 455 and TH400 combo, ran mid 13's on bald radials. It broke one 7.5" after another.... pop crack snap boom! Finally scored a GN 8.5 and it held up fine.

Breaking the cheap rear end isn't a problem, but over revving the engine and trans when the rear end pops is a concern....

no drag radials and your fine. will last I have had several onte running low 12's on stock rear. as soon as you slap rth 275 dr's on bang done.

I had 2 different ones in my old 85 grand prix. It had a 350 with about 300hp and some 285's in the back. They never lasted over half a year each. Put a ford 9" and of course, never had a problem again.

There's lots of oppinions here but I will tell you that it can survive if done right. The center section needs some bracing and you can change the spider gears so you can run a 28 spline axle. That's about all you need to make it strong enough to hold up. If you want to see the bracing I'm talking about go to the B4Black section and look up "Finaly got some time" and you can see what I mean.:biggrin:

get a 9" for it and don't look back.. it's more money up front, but less aggravation and expense down the road when it doesn't blow and you don't break axles and take out the quater panels when the tire leaves the car..