Will a distributor fit with stock setup?

Do you think a distributer on a 9-10 second car will ....

• Reduce hp compared to wastespark?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Increase hp over wastespark?

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Do nothing, just a waste of time/money?

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Drive Bruce over the Edge.

Votes: 10 52.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

norbs

Classic fast, XFI, SPortsman & MS3 programming
Hi due to the wastespark causing 50-70 hp loss, i plan on going to distributor. WIll this fit with the factory alt bracket/ ac? What are the options here?

How does waste spark cause such a HP loss? All it does is fire the companion cylinder w/o fuel as well as the cylinder WITH fuel. ??????

Thats what the rumor is. The gen 7 has some features i want to use that requires a distributor. I am still finding out more info on the HP gain/loss

waste spark does not lose any hp. All it does is fire the opposite cylender on the exhuast stroke.

Distributor will fit yes, look in the TSM forum and somebody has a picture of thiers with one. Though I don't see why a waste spark kills power, only if your ignition system isn't up to the amperage requirements of letting 2 loose though the requirements for the waste cylinder would be much less with no booste. Hmmm... thinking of my own logic here, would the waste cylinder have the path of least resistance and get more power?

Now I have turned this into a why discussion with some root cause stuff.

Convince me and ill sell you my dis stuff :) What if there is unburned fuel during the exhasust stroke and it trys to ignite at the wrong time?

norbs said:
Ask Dutweiller, he would not lie.

The quote attributed to him that I heard was dignifigantly less, and it was on an extremely high HP engine. While someone might find 30 HP on a 1,200 HP engine that doesn't mean an automatic 15 on a 600 HP engine.

where would it be coming from Bruce, I could understand it if its robbing igintion power power or like norbs pointed out, getting exhauste ignition. However the idea of having any fuel and air in a mixture capable of lighting off during exhauste stroke is rather low. I'm thinking its stealing amps, though with your setup, dont' see how that would make enough of a difference to take power.

I can;t find those pics your talking about. Ihave looked at it tonight on my car and looks like its never going to fit :confused:

hmmm.... neither can I. Maybe it got lost in the hack. I'm not sure where it is now but I know it was a TSM motor with a distirbutor and he was saying he was going to run either a FAST or XFI setup with it. Monster Taylor black wires on it.

CTX-SLPR said:
where would it be coming from Bruce, I could understand it if its robbing igintion power power or like norbs pointed out, getting exhauste ignition. However the idea of having any fuel and air in a mixture capable of lighting off during exhauste stroke is rather low. I'm thinking its stealing amps, though with your setup, dont' see how that would make enough of a difference to take power.

An extreme engine is in another realm. If you want to see the ultimate in extreme engines, look no further then a Fueler. Twin magnetos, twin plugs, and the plugs erode to nothing in less then 5 secs continous WOT.

The spark cascades an event already in progress. For the spark to occur there must be an ion trail. As the chamber pressures raise, and fuel particles get larger, it takes more and more potential voltage to generate that ion trail. If you remember back to the Honda F1 days, they drastically heated the fuel, ie to make smaller droplets out of a fuel that didn't like to evaporate.

Lighting the plug on a cylinder during overlap, would take having alot of fuel so as to lower the firing voltage low enough to steal from the compression side plug.

If the DIS sparks on the waste cycle and burn some unburbed fuel off, Would you tune be on the money? or look leaner than actual?

Wouldn't your tune be all messed up if you were burning fuel in the exhauste stroke? Besides your exhauste backpressure should blow back into the cylinder further diluting the possible mixture. I honestly don't think you'd get any burn. I'd be the stealing of power by the second spark that would cost the power.

It will not fit with factory bracket and AC, you will need to run the Champion AC delete bracket.

HTH

what?

Hi,
This discussion is going into the stratosphere! The bottom line with C3i systems is that there is NO spark on the waste cycle cylinder. I guess all bets are off if you are running a top fueler or even some measly twin turbo mo fo with outrageous horsepower.Then, you are dumping so much fuel that it MIGHT be a problem, but it seems to me that misfire would be the result. I could be wrong, but jeez, guys, how?

WHITE T said:
It will not fit with factory bracket and AC, you will need to run the Champion AC delete bracket.

HTH
Sure can fit, ask Tony Gomes,Although you must use a certain distributor,
and modify the heck out of your as bracket and tensioner

norbs said:
Will this fit with the factory alt bracket/ ac? What are the options here?
With the alternator relocater piece, there are still a few other things to change. Without the relocater, you have to be quite inventive as Tony G was with his install.

The other changes with the relocater include:
  1. New belt
  2. Fuel rail end will not accept a straight fuel pressure line fitting.
  3. Bypass hose will no longer fit. :-O
  4. Coolant temp sensor (horizontal mount on front of manifold) can not be used.

From what I have seen and can remember, that's a good starting point. Shirley you'll have other issues arise ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.