WOT shift RPM too high....advice please?

cathan

I have recently had my trans rebuilt for the second time by Detroit Transmission in denver, a shop pretty experienced in TR's.

The internals contain all the goodies like a 10 vane pump and super servo. This time I had them install a TCS 2800 stall converter. The motor and turbo are stock.

The problem: When I really give it WOT it is shifting as high as 5650 RPM!!!!:eek:

This occurrs on both the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. From other TR owners I have talked to this is way out of the powerband.....and it should shift at 4800-5200.
The owner of Detroit trans says there is a spring in the valve body which controls the shift RPM points, and he is willing to "cut some off the spring" to bring down the RPM.

Can you all tell me exactly the name of this spring and is there a less "crude" way of dealing with this, IE a proper replacement.

All due credit to Detrot Transmission....the owner is willing to do this for free, but I am a bit worried about the accuracy of "cutting down" a spring. He says he ahs done this before and it is not "experimental"

Advice is appreciated...

Chris

it may be possible that the original valve body wasnt installed or that the tv limit valve or circuits and valves after it are not functioning properly.a loss of drive oil at the governor cover gasket(loose bolts) or a broken or leaking seal ring on the end of the governor shaft can also cause this.someone may have trimmed the secondary governor weightcross leaks into the tv upshift valve regulating circuit can also increase downshift force at the valves causing the later upshifts at wot.you should be able to adjust this out with the cable without loosing full tv pressure,as well as by installing a heavyier governor spring on the secondary weight.

Chris,

Thanks for your advice. I'll have to forward the info to the owner of the tranny shop and see what he comes up with.

I do recall him mentioning changing the valve body.....so I need to ask him about that.....tactfully.

I may contact you with more questions if that is OK.

Hey, I think we share some heritage, too....my father was born in Athens.

Christos Athanasoulis