Would I be ok to use Royal Purple in my built 200-4R and how many of you run it?

2kSSLS1

I run it in my LS1 and rear end and I was wondering if it would be ok to run it in my tranny? Ive heard lots of opinions from both sides, but then again, that was from 4L60E users. I didnt know how much those trannys related to these. Let me know, thanks.

Does anyone else have any opinions, thoughts, suggestions. etc.? Id like to run Royal Purple, would I be risking anything or shortening the life of my tranny? My builder stated that he runs that in all his trannys. I just wanted to get lots of opinions and then make my own. Thanks.

its a shame that most of the transmission shops refuse to participate in this forum sometimes.cmon/

In all the trannies I build and in my own personal cars I just use regular 99 cents a quart Dexron and change it often. If I know I got the trans hot the fluid gets serviced as soon as I can.
I like synthetics in most cases but I'm not really sold on the synthetic ATF. Seems just the base stock is synthetic and the additives are not, and ATF has a lot of additives. Hard to justify that kind of money on something that is semi-synthetic, especially in something that should be serviced quite often.

I personally also typically use regular ole Dexron..

Some users like the tractor fluid.

Royal Purple makes a good oil product.

I'm sure it will work fine in your trans but so will all the cheaper options...

Originally posted by chris718
imo ford type f and thats the end of the discussion as far as im concerned.

Chris, would be interested in why you like Type F and what you notice different between a tranny running Dex Vs Type F.

Type F as well..I can't give you to many specifics as to why other then that being around the race track it's what most people use in their tranny.I'm talking about race cars with powerglides or 400's.I run type F in my 200 with no issues.From what I have been told the type F has less foaming agents in it...(i.e less foam).I wish I could give you more technical data,but I never was good in chemistry.I just run it.

Type F tranny fluid in a GM 2004R??? Either you're nuts or i am misinformed; My buddy at work put a few quarts of type f in his cadillac and a few trips later it dropped on him; both shops he took it to said "you used the wrong fluid".

type f has friction modifiers which shorten the amount of slip time between the drive and driven members of the clutch pack during application resulting in quicker and firmer gear changes with less heat generated from start to finish.and yes i am nuts.tractor fluid ?toilet paper is to wipe your ass and napkins are to wipe your mouth.get the point?

I use dexron III w/ mercon ATF fluid per recommendation of my tranny builder Vince Janis...the guy is a mastermind 200-4R tranny builder so I would think he knows what fluid is good to use...

I use dexron III w/ mercon ATF fluid per recommendation of my tranny builder Vince Janis...the guy is a mastermind 200-4R tranny builder so I would think he knows what fluid is good to use...

I agree, I put in a new tranny from TCI and Greg Friend with TCI strictly recommended the dexron III.

Well...I went ahead and put Royal Purple in because my builder (Mike Kurtz) suggested using it. We'll see how it goes. If its his personal favorite, I dont see why I would run into problems.