You can type here any text you want

Yes Or No???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbov6joe

Signal 1 J-12
Do the heads need to come off and pistons removed to replace the cam bearings, or just the crank? Is there a special tool to R&R the cam bearings or do they just push in and out?

On a chevy the cam bearings are pressed in...and I am not sure this can be done with the engine together...that would be a question for the machinists or better qualified personnel than I:D

Valvecovers, intake, pushrods & lifters, timing cover etc. will have to come off. I don't know the circumstances surrounding the need to replace the bearings, but you may be better off just pulling the motor and smoking over the other bearings as well. By the time you get all of the stuff off to replace the cam bearings, you'll be pretty close anyway. JMO

Last time I had the motor out I had a TERRIBLE time getting the motor mounts to line up. Me and a buddy literly spent 5 hours fighting the things before they finally gave in and lined up. Unfortunately this go around I need to yank it no matter how I feel about the motor mounts. I need to get a GOOD look in there and see what damage if any, has taken place. When the motor was shut down for the last time, I had really good hot oil pressure, so I feel fairly good about the bearings not being wasted....but want to be 100% for sure for piece of mind.

One major problem when trying to install cam bearings in the car or with the crank still in is making sure the oil holes are lined up properly. Since they feed oil to the crank, it is rather important they be aligned!:)

Joe, when K&M did my cam bearings in my GN, I sent them the block with heads on, crank out, and pistons/rods pushed to the top of the cylinders. HTH

Originally posted by turbov6joe
Last time I had the motor out I had a TERRIBLE time getting the motor mounts to line up. Me and a buddy literly spent 5 hours fighting the things before they finally gave in and lined up. Unfortunately this go around I need to yank it no matter how I feel about the motor mounts. I need to get a GOOD look in there and see what damage if any, has taken place. When the motor was shut down for the last time, I had really good hot oil pressure, so I feel fairly good about the bearings not being wasted....but want to be 100% for sure for piece of mind.

I hate to sound like a smartazz but you do know there is a left and right motor mount. They look the same and are easy to get mixed up.

Eric Fisher

Replacing the cam bearings is a job for a machine shop or at least someone who has a lot of experience installing them.

Originally posted by turbofish38
I hate to sound like a smartazz but you do know there is a left and right motor mount. They look the same and are easy to get mixed up.

Eric Fisher

Hes had a few motors out and back in in his day ;)

Eric,
Are they marked? Thanks for the words Neil, but Eric might have stumbled onto something here. Me and Bryan looked them over to make sure they were going on the correct side, but who knows, maybe after a 30 pack of Bush Light we may have swapped them out inadvertantly??? That might be the reason why since the R&R last winter, my THDP has knocked ever since!

who knows, maybe after a 30 pack of Bush Light we may have swapped them out inadvertantly???
After a 30-pack of Bud Light, I usually just wind up brazing the block right to the rails, Monster Garage-style.

Back