Your Dream 109 Bullet proof motor?

SAMBALLS1

What do think it would cost u to build a bullet proof solid 8.30-8.50' motor. From intake to oil pan?
Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

A shitload of money,an understanding wife/gf oh did I.mention a shit load of money.. lol sometimes the wife/gf is more the problem.than the $. If so godbless. Me I have both problems lol

Would 10k, 12k, 15k be enough?

15k would be a good start... I think Jason White has pushed the 109 to the limits though. He has a very consistent motor/tune. I am not sure the 109 will ever make an 8.30 run let alone survive it as bulletproof

Bryan

15k would be a good start... I think Jason White has pushed the 109 to the limits though. He has a very consistent motor/tune. I am not sure the 109 will ever make an 8.30 run let alone survive it as bulletproof

Bryan

Yep, I would think the only way would be in a tin can that weighs ~2000 lbs or so

Here's the second part? What would u expect in that motor?

If that kind of money is on the table to build a motor for mid to low 8's, I would think one would use a staged short block as a starting point. More of a safety issue then a dollars and cents issue in my opinion. But if I had to put a dollar figure on a price to build that grenade, it would be around 20k.

If that kind of money is on the table to build a motor for mid to low 8's, I would think one would use a staged short block as a starting point. More of a safety issue then a dollars and cents issue in my opinion. But if I had to put a dollar figure on a price to build that grenade, it would be around 20k.

We have built $20K+ engines like the one in my signature and the most runs at the 9.0 level has been 20 passes. :eek:

A 109 block will not survive at 1000+ HP and you will need more than that to run low 8's in a GN.

I have experienced many stage II block that have failed at the 1000 HP level?

I agree. ... things fail..... stage or not....

So, the questions once again arises--will the 3800 (with pistons, etc.) perform at that level?

Jay J

Look pretty much it's all about tune.... If the motor is built right and has the "right" tune it will perform..., (Jason White - perfect example) Bare minimum is going to be a forged crank, good billet rods, good pistons, and definitely a girdle. Bare minimum to even consider it... But yes... the 3.8 can handle it... I can remember when they said it would never go past 10's, then break 9's, then never hit 9.50's then never break low sub sub 9's..... Now where is it at? Looks like people are setting the bar... I'm a firm believer in... "if they can do it... So can I"... So now I want to "play"

There is no such thing as a bullet proof engine.

There's no shame in having a super low 10 second V6 that will survive tons of abuse, but a bullet proof, 8 second, stock block Buick is reaching for the stars.

AND it will take bigger than SAMBALLS has. :p

Just my opinion......

Good luck

So, the questions once again arises--will the 3800 (with pistons, etc.) perform at that level?

Jay J

No, not for long, but you're welcome to try and be the first.

There are plenty of folks out there that are willing to take your money and prove me right. Most here will tell you "No Thanks" because this board is about real expectations and real results.

You should spend some time here........

Even stage blocks have failed at those power levels... The fact of the matter is.... it's going to break.... just don't know how long it's going to take... In racing...sh*t happens.. So.... I would rather be 15k into it than 20-25 and have the same outcome.... the best I can hope for is to be able to salvage some parts....lol...

put it in car that weighs <3000lbs

OK,

So if there are no limits, and this isn't a 109 in a TR, then yes, my son's bicycle will go low 8's with a pretty much stock 109 bolted to it all day long....... I'll let Nick "peddle" it, he just has such a touch off the line.........

C'mon guys, let's keep this fantasy "somewhat" real..............

The motor would have to be built around high rpm. Keeping the same torque and increasing the operating range will net you more horsepower and it will be easier on parts. You can spend 5k in the heads/valve train alone. Parts? You can probably piece the long block together for around 10-12k. Keeping it together will be determined by how well it's built and tuned.

I don't even wanna get into what the rest of the car needs to keep up.