zddp, do i need it?

berserker6

Assistant to the regional manager
re-newb here. ive been reading on the board about the benefits of this additive for stock cams. i have a roller, are there other reasons other than the cam to use this. like the bearings? thanks

Wouldn't really wory about using ZDDP with a roller cam.
FWIW,Delo 15W40 still has the required 1200 ppm of ZDDP for flat tappet camshafts

thanks for the fast response. just surprised that its meant to protect the surfaces of the cam and nothing else in the motor like bearings?

Hi,
I think the Zinc and Phosphorus in ZDDP are primarily to ensure that flat tappet cams get sufficient lubrication. It used to be a main part of the oil additive package,but over the years,the need has diminished. Catalytic converters don't like it,and o2 sensors probably function better without it.Since you are running a roller cam,you don't need it.

I would consult ARICH2000 i believe he told me that it also protects the wrist pins. He is the expert on this subject.

i would run it regardless of what cam is in the car. it provides better protection for your high dollar motor.

i would run it regardless of what cam is in the car. it provides better protection for your high dollar motor.

fact is according to decades of industry tests 1200 is a marginal level-------1800-2000 is a safer target and thats why high quality racing oils target that level--------even so ZDDP depletes from use so if you start at 1200 you will certainly be at definite unsafe levels sooner than you think--------we now sell it to 5 cam companies (under private label) and actually sell more to performance engine builders that use it on roller motors than we do to shops that build flat tappet engines (after all they are a dying breed)-------several of the builders that competed in the engine masters challenge this year used our product because they had cam failures last year in the final rounds-------ZPlus does not help with alloy crank/cam bearings-------it only works where there is ferrous metal against ferrous metal or where there is no hydrodynamic film of oil -----ie where parts scrape or rub-----(such as wrist pins, pushrods, rockers, gears, chains, small contact points of roller bearings)---------lots of high performance engine builders have started to have roller lifter and rocker failures with ultra aggresive cam profiles and heavy duty springs-------lots of them have started to realize the extra margin of safety that ZPlus provides--------and once again diesel oil is a really poor choice for a small turbo powered engine-------while some of them might have 1200 PPM of zddp they have extra amounts of detergent that minimize the effectiveness of the zddp since it directly competes against the zddp for space on the wear surfaces--------thats the very reason racing oils have greatly decreased amounts of detergent------simple fact is detergent is not a lubricant--------its not opinion------its the data supported by decades of industry research-----yes, zddp is hard on cats but only when the engine wears excessively and starts to lose oil in the exhaust due to increased blowby------by then you don't have a performance car anyway-------who races a car with worn rings anyhow???---------the reduction of this important ingredient in our oil is the result of our helpful govt hard at work to help us out because they care for us and they like our sport---------NOT............RC