You can type here any text you want

1 cylinder is tappered...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

NOTSOFAST

machine shop called and stated that 1 cylinder is tappered, and smaller on top ,bigger on bottom. said something about being 7thousenths off. should I have them hone the one or go 30 over and put new pistons in it? this is on a 4.1 block..

don't recall if pistons start at 10 or 20 over? and i don't want to install hypertectic pistons .

Depends on the brand. The one's I'm finishing up start out and .001 over and in increments of .001"

You can get anything made for the right money. Off the shelf is just cheaper. The machine shop is ordering .004 over for my build. Based on an off the shelf design just in a custom diameter.

Depends on the brand. The one's I'm finishing up start out and .001 over and in increments of .001"
Will selective ring sets be available for these?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Well 4.1 is already 30 over, so I'll need to go 40 over. Should I get forged or stay with hypers?

Well waiting on price for 40 over forged pistons from Nick. Hope it don't hurt to bad! Ouch! :-()

Will selective ring sets be available for these?

Oddly enough the rings are the trick. I've got almost more time tied up in ring brainstorming than I have piston designing. The way I've got the print set up, it's easy to interchange between 1.5mm and 1/16 ring packs. That way it's easier to stay cheep with shelf rings and still be able to get quality units. Couple in the marketing by ring manufacturers by using stuff like 'file fit' with no specs for printing stuff like '3.830 +.003" instead of just saying they are 3.083". Fortunately we're dealing with power adders so it helps that we need gaps that are a little more loose. That helps when it comes to honing to 2or3 more than a 'normal' size.

If it wasn't for having to work around rings, I'd say you can get these slugs in any size you want down to a few microns. :D

Oddly enough the rings are the trick. I've got almost more time tied up in ring brainstorming than I have piston designing. The way I've got the print set up, it's easy to interchange between 1.5mm and 1/16 ring packs. That way it's easier to stay cheep with shelf rings and still be able to get quality units. Couple in the marketing by ring manufacturers by using stuff like 'file fit' with no specs for printing stuff like '3.830 +.003" instead of just saying they are 3.083". Fortunately we're dealing with power adders so it helps that we need gaps that are a little more loose. That helps when it comes to honing to 2or3 more than a 'normal' size.

If it wasn't for having to work around rings, I'd say you can get these slugs in any size you want down to a few microns. :D
Yup. Trying to get a ring that will work with some sizes is a no go. There's a crap load of options around 4". Not so many around 3.8"

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Got my price from Nick, looks like the kids won't be getting Xmas this year. :-) will wait until I'm off wensday, to take a closer look at block before ordering.

Before you get anything, think about it. I've been working on vehicles for 30+ years now and have never heard or seen a cylinder worn more on the bottom than the top.:rolleyes: Are you sure that's what they said?;)

They may have said .0007 taper. Like Charlie said, the area of ring travel is always larger than the bottom of the bore. The only rings for a 4.1 I have been able to find in 1/16 are 3.965, 3.965+.005, and 4" ,or 4" +.005. The JE website says they can have custom rings made, but they have only been able to supply me with these sizes.

Back