You can type here any text you want

109 block

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tom87GNX

I just have a few questions about physical aspect of the 86-87 109 blocks. I've seen in photos that the later production turbo motors have nicely machined oils drain holes in the lifter valley and photos of hot air blocks with as cast seemingly jagged return holes. I'm just curious if anyone has seen this before? I'm asking cause my block has the jagged holes but is no doubt an 86-87 block ( has webbing above timing cover and machined boss for turbo oil drain. Plus it's original to this car (car has been in family since new and all numbers match.) I'm sure that it could just be incorrect info in relation to the pics but just curious if anyone else ever saw this. Thanks

I've never seen a 109 with the rough casting. I have had many engine blocks. It is possible I guess. One of these guys will know much more than myself.

image-836030989.jpg

From your message, it sounds like you do not have the original block for the car. Is there a partial VIN stamped on the block? The last 8 digits of your vehicle VIN should be part of the number stamped on the block. Look at the driver's side of the engine block. The attached photo will show you where to find the partial VIN

109 block partial VIN.JPG

I will have to double check the numbers again, I checked them a few years back and I remember them being correct. As stated the block does have the boss and is machine with the oil drain do the turbo, and if I'm not mistaken the 84-85 blocks didn't even have the boss or the extra webbing on the outer wall of the lifter valley above the timing cover area, which my block also has, which can be clearly seen in the pics. I'm very confused.

Tom,

The lifter valley in your picture appears to be that of an earlier block casting. Check the casting # on the drivers side of the block. If the casting # is 25526109 it's the first one I've seen that looks like that.

Neal

You have an 84-85 EGR control on the driver's valve cover? This looks like an 84-85 and earlier block. Does it have the 109 casting number on it?

Your picture alone proves that's it's an early block. Look closely at the picture, even though the turbo drain line in fitted to the block, the raised boss is NOT there. The drain back line is screwed directly into the front web.

Look very closely at your picture. You can see that the large brass nut is screwed directly into the web and is right up against the web, there's no boss there like the one shown here....

DSC_0003.JPG
DSC_0004.JPG

Very easy to verify. Since your engine is on a stand, rotate it 90 degrees to put the passenger side down, and the casting number and vin stamp will be plainly visible.

Looks like you guys are right, the block casting is 25524140. All the info I see states it's an 84-85 block. But I've never saw one with the webbing outside the lifter valley. Other than casting differences are there any differences with internal components?

So how did this engine block find a home in your car? Your car is intercooled correct? It must be a interesting story.

Yea, the car is intercooled. I'm sure it's a very very interesting story however I don't think I'll ever figure it out since it was my dads car and he passed 6 years ago :(

The threads for the head bolts are counter sunk in the block and require diffrent head bolts than the 86-87 blocks which the threads go up to the top of the deck surface.

If you need a 109 block standard bore I have one here in CT

The threads for the head bolts are counter sunk in the block and require diffrent head bolts than the 86-87 blocks which the threads go up to the top of the deck surface.

If you need a 109 block standard bore I have one here in CT

You have that backwards, 109's have the counter sunk threads.

From your message, it sounds like you do not have the original block for the car. Is there a partial VIN stamped on the block? The last 8 digits of your vehicle VIN should be part of the number stamped on the block. Look at the driver's side of the engine block. The attached photo will show you where to find the partial VIN

View attachment 182645
Hey Dave, is this a block you built up? Was that block painted and did you do the painting. Still waiting on my billet center mains and ARP main studs from Full Throttle, as soon as I get them I will get my block to you.

Charles,

That is one that I cleaned and machined. The block is clean and unpainted in this picture.........Yup, NO PAINT!!

I paint them just after final assembly then I install the brass freeze plugs. They turn out quite nice that way

I use a thermal cleaning and shot blasting process that leaves the part nice and clean. It also stress relieves the block.

Wow, that is awesome. Nothing I love more than a clean engine and bay. When you're finished, I will have one beautiful engine. Hopefully you can send me pictures during progress, so I can document.

Back