12.6 to fuel pump or 13.9 hotwired????

Madmustard

Trying to track down the short from hell and cant figure it out.Drains the battery when car and key off.All started when changed this fuel pump to walbro.Dont believe its that because unplugged the wiring harness to pump and took hotwire kit off and still a short and draw..Short took the battery and alternator out but still has a drwa on system.

Checked volts to pump with stock wiring at idle its 12.6.With hotwire kit its 13.9 at idle..sounds pretty high to me what should I use stock or hotwire and with load will the 12.6 drop at wot???

13.9 is fine, that is what your alternator is putting out and what you want to go to the pump, hence the hot wire.

dont know if this will apply to your problem but just yesterday I was talking to Dan at GN Northwest and he said he had issues with a circuit board in the dash that has the charge light on it corroding and it draining the battery. I thought this very strange. He said these cars will boggle your mind. You may want to check this out though.

Maybe he will chime in here....

ok will stay with the hotwire kit.the short and draw is somewhere in the domelight circuit.pulled the fuse for now and no draw:D

dont know if this will apply to your problem but just yesterday I was talking to Dan at GN Northwest and he said he had issues with a circuit board in the dash that has the charge light on it corroding and it draining the battery. I thought this very strange. He said these cars will boggle your mind. You may want to check this out though.

Maybe he will chime in here....

Just FYI, the corroded charge light circuit in the dash won't 'drain' the battery, but will cause the alternator to not charge, as that circuit supplies the exciter voltage to the alt.... no exciter voltage, no charge.... and yes, these cars can indeed boggle the mind!! ;)

Trying to track down the short from hell and cant figure it out.

Make sure the fan delay relay (large, rear-most of the 3 on the DS fenderwell) is disconnected... when degraded, it commonly causes the fan to mysteriously come on in the middle of the nite and drain the battery...

If you are seeing a drain with the ohmeter connected between the (disconnected) battery cable and battery terminal, then start pulling fuses, one by one, until the drain disappears.... that will narrow the culprit down.

Another common drain source is the trunk light not shutting off when you close the trunk.... kind of hard to see with the trunk closed, too! :wink:
One more common one that I can think of offhand is the factory stereo clock/light not shutting off at key-off.... is yours??

EDIT: just saw you found the circuit..... check the clock, hood, and trunk lites!!! :)

Just FYI, the corroded charge light circuit in the dash won't 'drain' the battery, but will cause the alternator to not charge, as that circuit supplies the exciter voltage to the alt.... no exciter voltage, no charge.... and yes, these cars can indeed boggle the mind!! ;)

Yeah thats what it was.................:wink:

I was close. Glad I could remember as much of that convesation as I did.