12" or 13" Front Brakes and S-10 Cylinders

salvageV6

Daily Driver
Anyone running the Baer brake systems or a good 12" or 13" disk system along with drum S-10 cylinders and soft shoes out back?

Wondering if an added proportional control is necessary or would they be complementary due to both ends having greatly increased holding power. :)

Daily driven street car usage information preferred.

Hey Salvage,
I think I did mine before Baer was available...88-89?

I went with Hotchkis upper CA's, 12 inch fronts, with GNX (Kirban) wheels, S-10 rear pistons. I later changed over to vacuum brakes.

As you thought, you don't need a porportioning valve; the fronts really take over. I had the S-10's before the front brakes and the rear wanted to come around under heavy braking with minimal turn-in with the steering.

I used Hotchkis's recommended parts. I imagine Global West has a similar sheet with all of the recommended spindles, rotors, and calipers. I don't have the sheet anymore. I'm sure they would send you one.

There are no downsides that I've come across...oh yeah...I also have just soft/normal shoes...non-metallic. I'm not sure if metallic or an agressive compound is available. I use carbon fiber up front.

The braking is comparable to a Vette or Porsche. You'll love it.

I think I may go with the 12" Baer kit with modified G body spindles so I can run my T wheels (I think) on the car.

Have to get the templates and pick the options, slots and zinc washed perhaps. :)

S-10 cyliders and line lock to be added at the same time.

Hopefully it will work out.

I really would like to have the 13" system but I don't really want to run 17" wheels and have no street traction.

Thanks for the info.

The T wheels will work, not a problem with the 12" brakes! They worked on mine 'til I got the GNX wheels. I imagine Baer is the same.

The GN wheels won't work with the 12's!

I think 13" brakes would be great for road course driving. I rode in one of ours with 17" wheels...you feel every notch, bump, whatever in the road. Anything lower than a 50 profile, begins to require more shock and spring tuning than I care to deal with.

I have the 12" B-body set-up w/ Global West arms in front and s-10 wheel cylinders w/ all large soft shoes in rear and the braking bias is wonderfull. I do still have the Power master and it works great.

Thanks, I will be keeping the powermonster in the car after the install unless it becomes horrendous for some reason.

Gotta price that 12" system out soon. :)