You can type here any text you want

14 bolt 4.1 block but 20 bolt gn pan???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Black Power

Ok I will bite. How do you get the 4.1 block to work in a gn?

It has the 14 bolt pan but the gn has a 20 and it doesn't look like the timing cover is going to like a 14 bolt pan.

How do I make this work?

4884 block going in an 87 gn.

you get a 14 bolt oil pan and a 14bolt timing cover like from a hot air turbo regal

You will need a 14 bolt oil pan. If you want/need to use a new timing cover the aftermarket timing covers are drilled & tapped to work with both 14 & 20 bolt pans.

Cool. I have a 14 bolt pan already. Where can I find this aftermarket timing cover? I suppose ebay or someone on here would have a hotair timing cover...:biggrin:

Autozone carries them. Your best bet is to contact Earl Brown to see if he still has any. He does all the work for you and provides you with a front cover ready to rock and roll.

The timing cover will still work w/ the 14 bolt pan. I assume you already drilled the from of the 4.1 block for the turbo oil drain line?

Right now im building a hotair 84 motor, you guys are right about the cover and pan. Can you believe parts america had a cork 14 bolt pan gasket for 5.99? I also highly suggest the felpro timing kit with the neoprime seal, they tried to pawn off a rope seal kit, GLAD i opened the box before i purchased.

Today i drove the gator across the street and got the block drilled for the oil return, nice having a machine shop right across the street, plus it was free:eek:

BW

The timing cover will still work w/ the 14 bolt pan. I assume you already drilled the from of the 4.1 block for the turbo oil drain line?

Yep it is drilled and tapped for the return. I am itching for this 4.1 to get into the Buick.

Yep it is drilled and tapped for the return. I am itching for this 4.1 to get into the Buick.

Id step it up to at least a 63 turbo.

My 4.1 .040 and 66mm turbo spooled up faster than a stock turbo and convertor.

Are you going to run the 51 turbo with the 4.1?
BW

Id step it up to at least a 63 turbo.

My 4.1 .040 and 66mm turbo spooled up faster than a stock turbo and convertor.

Are you going to run the 51 turbo with the 4.1?
BW

No sir, I just got this lil puppy in.

IMG_1510.jpg

If it doesn't like getting up and out of the hole I will spray it. I might spray it even if it does come out of the hole hard :tongue:

By any chance do you still have your broken hotair cover that needs to be welded and how much are you wanting for it? I am not in a huge hurry, my motor is still in Texas...

where are you guys drilling your oil drain back hole in your 4.1L? stock front block (3.8L) location? is it 1" hole? and what threads? my block is at machine shop now and ready to drill hole but i need to know exactly where. my 4.1L block (291?) has two casting ribs in the front area where (stock type) drainback hole is sorta suppose to go. ( i dont remember my 3.8L having those ribs)so, i guess im asking for advise here :confused:

We drilled and tapped a 4.1 a few months ago. I can't remember the size but it goes between the ribs and 1.5 inches center line down from the lip of the block. Hope this helps.

where are you guys drilling your oil drain back hole in your 4.1L? stock front block (3.8L) location? is it 1" hole? and what threads? my block is at machine shop now and ready to drill hole but i need to know exactly where. my 4.1L block (291?) has two casting ribs in the front area where (stock type) drainback hole is sorta suppose to go. ( i dont remember my 3.8L having those ribs)so, i guess im asking for advise here :confused:

Is everyone here using the 4.1 Hyper pistons too? Do you use different head bolts or the same ARP bolts for the 3.8?

Is everyone here using the 4.1 Hyper pistons too? Do you use different head bolts or the same ARP bolts for the 3.8?

The hardware is a little different. Go to Turbobuicks.com and look in the tech section. There is a sticky there with the 'how to build your 4.1' article in it. It lists the the ARP part number for the 4.1 head studs.

i think your suppose to use the bolts (or studs) that go with the year of the block. summitt had '86 '87 head bolts as one part number and '85 and older as another part number. i was told the '86 up blocks have the holes chamfered which requires an ever so slightly different bolt. i'm not so sure it matters. But then again i'm no machinist. :eek:

1/2 pipe thread last i checked, i just had some drain tubes made to fit the same day.

VortechWS6- what broken hotair cover??

Let me know

BW

1/2 pipe thread last i checked, i just had some drain tubes made to fit the same day.

VortechWS6- what broken hotair cover??

Let me know

BW

Yeah you are right, it's a 1/2 pipe thread.

Maybe it wasn't you, somebody was selling some hotair parts and I asked if they had a timing cover....there was on where someone had used a bolt that was too long and something needed to be tig welded. Must have been someone else I was talking to instead of you... :(

Here ya go!!!!

The drill bit is 23/32 and the tap is 1/2 - 14 npt

Where in IL are you ? I do have the tap and bit.

HTH
Prasad

i live in springfield, thanks for the offer, but my machinist is gonna drill it while he's got it. just needed dimensions. dont you hang around with Brer Rabbit? he was telling me a story about you and a driveshaft on the L or a bus. (if that was you) :eek:

Back