1987 pro-touring grand national, from the ground up

Or you could just add some speed holes, they do make the car go faster:

[video=youtube_share;XVV_COOey0E]http://youtu.be/XVV_COOey0E[/video]

Were you able to use the stock cat hanger with the Gforce crossmember? I'm installing mine this week but it doesn't look like its going to fit.

I'm actually going to try and fit some TTA hood vents, they are in the mail as we speak. The headlights are both for cooling and a "cool factor", I doubt seriously it will hurt and its very easy to change back.

opening up the two inner headlights will do nothing to help with cooling once the car is moving- in fact, it may hurt it a bit.. you want to get the air pressure in the engine bay side of the radiator as low as possible to help air flow thru it, but the open headlight holes will just add air pressure in the engine bay. it will also add more aero drag and front end lift to the car at higher speeds due to the extra air that you are dragging around under the hood.
if you want better cooling and a little help with the aero on the car, then hood and fender vents are the way to go.. the Lumina Z34 hood vents look good on a G body and actually work according to that one guy that runs his GP 2+2 in top speed events.

Were you able to use the stock cat hanger with the Gforce crossmember? I'm installing mine this week but it doesn't look like its going to fit.

No, you cant use stock anything. It was all fabricated up to use that crossmember. As members have pointed out, its for a dual exhaust car like a monte SS, not our cars with a single exhaust. The downpipe doesnt even really line up.

The front and rear brace are done, heading off to powdercoat then a final install. With them being installed the underside of the car is 100% done!

IMG_0710.jpg
IMG_0711.jpg
IMG_0712.jpg
IMG_0713.jpg
IMG_0714.jpg

They remade the SC&C front brace to fit with the slic pte intercooler. The rear is some thick walled dom tubing bent as close as possible to the body with some wiggle room. It will disappear with the bumper on

Looks Tight!..Theres a brace for the front that looks like that back one,(green in the photo below)it goes under the raditors suport,the one i bought doesn't fit my car becuase my front mount intercooler tubes run that way so'll it'll have to be worked some like yours
Brace diagram1Pro-tour Frame Mod GN.jpg

I'm try an locate the mid-windshield to fender corner braces,if you have them,where'd you get them?
One thing...Might want to put the battery in trunk. hard left cornering/bumps lower your ride height with it there.

Enjoy!

I have those from Scot W but they are not installed. I may try and exchange them with carbon fiber ones depending on when the car is out of the body shop. And The ones that go from the front to the windshield cowl just look horrible in my opinion so I'm going to pass on those.

hello; I see your front under area pics with the SCC brace. I know you said it was a pc.of cake mod and now that's it's in does that still hold true?
And have you fitted the hood yet as I (this summer) put in a PT SLIC and my top pipe hits the liner a bit? just curious
IBBY

Hello jlat; It wasnt hard. Had to cut out the cross brace and move it behind the inter-cooler, nothing crazy, I would think any muffler shop could do it. No hood yet, still being shipped but the pte intercooler is nowhere near the hood. They had to modify the bracket, it was way off and clock the turbo a bit to get it lined up right. Now it is square and everything lines up. I know pte was making poor quality brackets for awhile but supposedly their new ones are better

Back seats are coming together, this is the fitting, I love the way they look. They will be solid black with perforated inserts to match the front seats and door panels & inserts.

IMG_0742.jpg
IMG_0743.jpg

I posed in the audio forum but no answers. Any suggestions on a stereo, head unit, amp, speakers, subs etc?

Looks great. For stereo. I am partial to Alpine head units. Speakers, i have tried many. From cheap to midrange, but im betting you dont do much half assed. Amps i have always like Hifonics. For a little more money, i would find some Soundstream amps and Boston Acoustics. But im not a huge audiophile and dont need the top name brands.

This damn g force crossmember is giving me a hard time! About ready to give up on it. How many exhaust mods did you have to do to get it to work? It's not even close on my car.

This damn g force crossmember is giving me a hard time! About ready to give up on it. How many exhaust mods did you have to do to get it to work? It's not even close on my car.

Mod to the test pipe then about 75% custom from there back. It fits like sh*t, honestly I would have sent it back and had one fabbed if I didn't already powder coat it silver vein. I specifically asked the guy at gforce if it would fit a grand national because of the double exhaust humps and was told it would fit without any modifications.

The first problem is the down pipe points right at the cross member and not the exhaust hump, so a custom test pipe from the down pipe to the cat back had to be made, then everything from the mufflers back had to be remade to fit the new location. I really cant recommend them for anything grand national related, then to blatantly misrepresent to customers, yeah so good luck making it fit, sorry

Was curious, what's the Hour Count on this car so far,an how many total hours is expected until completion ? My cars finally ready for the frame-off paint an body job with the rear custom frame mods for re-enforcement.I've been told anywhere from 60 hours to 600 hours....I'd like a more defendant answer if at all possible.this build would be great example,but on the Higher End of things...8^)

Thanks

HelloBozos;2911641I've been told anywhere from 60 hours to 600 hours....I'd like a more defendant answer if at all possible.this build would be great example said:
HelloBozos, That is a really loaded question. I have done a few frame-offs for people and myself. And to quote it."It really is a blank check type of deal or nothing." I'm sure dsapper will have some Close hr.#s. But the running changes, the custom fits, or have to make the part. Just can not be figured in. The shipping and expedited shipping alone will boggle most. The last one I did we had over 3k in extra fittings and nitrous stuff left over. Most the items have to be built/ fitted/ removed tweeked /refitted/ removed/ sent to plater/coater and hope it all still fits or works as intended.

dsapper, just went through this thread, WOW beautiful build.

The problem is the "while we are at it" mentality. I probably have 250 hours in it all and all. After paint the interior and stereo will be by me so not sure on that time. Its impossible to guess depending on what level of quality you want and how creative you get. Its very easy to get carried away

The problem is the "while we are at it" mentality. I probably have 250 hours in it all and all. After paint the interior and stereo will be by me so not sure on that time. Its impossible to guess depending on what level of quality you want and how creative you get. Its very easy to get carried away

Not to mention the condition of the vehicle. Once you take the frame and interior out it can completely change the plan. It doesn't even have to have a lot of miles on it. It's completely subjective and as I tell people when doing electrical work, it may take me 5 minutes or 5 days, and I charge by the hour so sometimes it can get outrages.:)

Not to mention the condition of the vehicle. Once you take the frame and interior out it can completely change the plan. It doesn't even have to have a lot of miles on it. It's completely subjective and as I tell people when doing electrical work, it may take me 5 minutes or 5 days, and I charge by the hour so sometimes it can get outrages.:)

Your right, I got very lucky with no issues besides one slightly rusty body mount on the frame.

Good Deal,Thanks for the reply ..I have couple shops here in Orlando,FL I've scouted an couple outa state.I've got $45 to $65 an hour from them. My cars fully functional just has all the miles an weathering whoas,my car has the factory rock guard 1/4 way up the body an the undercoating job so it's in pretty good shape less anything rubber (the body mounts),I know when its apart we might find some corrosion (like the door ding guards i saw in this post) but should be minimal. i'm only going to re-enforce the rear a-arm mounts an black epoxy everything out,all my a-arms are custom an coated already, then last,a 6 point cage an Paint it with GNX kit,I'm leaving the interior as stock as possible only have to fix the famous mid upper dash split an two front seat tears.only electricail i need is new powerwindow motors put in with the fast rize kit, I'm modeling my car like 'Sledgehammer' but leaving the A/C..8^)..all my bumper fillers,flares an hood are unpainted fibroglass still

shop side.jpg

converted into this below...(but no fuel PSI gauge on the hood an stock steel bumpers)
6.jpg

Hood came in from Hartline today, great fit and finish on the hood.

Mods started today with the two tta vents and the areocatch hood pins. I can't say enough about how cool these hood pins are, they work like a charm and are locking. Either way this is the first trial fit, some trimming is still needed but you get the idea.

IMG_0752.jpg
IMG_0753.jpg
IMG_0754.jpg
IMG_0755.jpg