2-step launch control

Both the XFI and Accel Gen 7 do, too. The MSD is the only one I would use on a CCCI ignition.

msd dis -4 does a two step off rpm adjustable in 250 rpm increments

MSBC-1 boost controller offers a two step off boost which i feel is more consistent than just going when you hit an rpm

i tried the msd and it will randomly drop a cylinder to hold the rpm but it could also kill the motor if two get dropped in a row , when it drops a cylinder it doesnt stop the fuel it just kills the spark , this leads to a blast of cold fuel being sent to he headers and ive replaced a few because of cracks due to this.
i still run the msd but gave up on the two step portion and upgraded my boost controller to the msbc-1, now i leave consistent on a preset boost that wont move above what is set even with my foot to the floor , and i have much more control over what boost i run.

The MSBC has a launch boost stage.....not really a 2 step. When activated it will control boost to the preset level. It immediately goes to stage 1 (of 5) when you release the t-brake or whatever switch arrangement you prefer to use.

BS3 2 step works just fine with C3I ignition. It drops injector pulses not coil output.

i disagree , the purpose of a two step is to hold a preset rpm before launching so as to increase consistency for launch , important for bracket racing
my boost controller does just that only more consistently than rpm alone since its based based on boost but rpm holds as well , at 4 psi i'm at 3750 rpm and no more , i can hold the boost and that rpm indefinately on the tbrake with foot to the floor , the release for the launch stage is tied to the tbrake release , upon release it goes to the next stage at whatever boost level is preset in that stage and advances to the next stages on adjustable timers
ive launced up to 12 psi and it works the same as boost increases so does the rpm but its consistent , where on the msd its possible to reach your preset rpm but not have the boost there yet

Paul hit the nail on the head, the MSBC just plain works when it comes to consistancy. I've been using one for the last 5 years with excellent results. I have mine activated off the transbrake or the e-brake for classes that dont allow brakes(which is what I mostly run).

I understand what you are saying and won't argue the fact that the MSBC holds consistent boost in the launch stage (or any boost stage). Its a great device and can be used in conjunction with a 2-step.

The question was about 2-steps. 2-steps are RPM limiters that act directly on engine controls (ignition or injectors) to limit RPM. 2-steps act independant of manifold pressure.

The MSBC manages manifold pressure without regard to engine RPM. Your torque converter is the RPM limiting device if you rely only on the MSBC. If you loosen up your torque converter, your launch boost will stay the same and launch RPM will go up. Right?

Boost control is argueably a better way to manage engine output on the starting line, but the MSBC is not a 2-step.

After reading all the comments. .now i really dont know which way to go as far as launches rite now im using my E Brake. But would like some sort of better launches. .HELP .as i am new to this and only want to spend good money 1 time correctly if possible

old thread . couple of new options since then
the msbc-1 is not available except if you can score one used , closest is the ams 1000, ams500 or the elash boost but you need a good wastegate setup like an external which isnt for budget minded
msd isnt available either as they no longer sell the coil adapter

bailey 2-step .. http://fullthrottlespeed.com/itemdesc.asp+ic+0502step+eq++Tp+
or the tr6 ignition which replaces the stock CCI ignition module setup using newer coil pak (or individual CNP coils) and has a 2-step built in .. http://www.tr6.bailey-eng.com/

Last edited:
If you can afford it TR6 ignition. Take the old module out of the tuning equation, spark cut rev, limiter 2 step with the ability to pull timing, built in diagnostic.
I had a 2 step for the stock module and it worked but I had trouble with the after market modules.
Now I just stage mash the brake and the throttle and leave when I see the last yellow light

Ok thanks ima look into the Tr6 setup .. with this setup well I still need the power longer and ScanMaster

What do most use as a switch when using the foot brake and not trans brake? I assume the brake switch is nowhere near fast enough. Is everybody installing switches in their brake pedal?

Claud I might be interested in your msd set up. Please pm me. You come up as do not exist. Thanks.

What do most use as a switch when using the foot brake and not trans brake? I assume the brake switch is nowhere near fast enough. Is everybody installing switches in their brake pedal?
I plan on installing the 2-step switch in the brake pedal with a 12v supply arming switch so I'm not activating the 2-step during everyday driving . Installing 2 LED's one for arming switch on ( power to foot switch ) & the other for when 2-step is active . I'd hate to pull up the line and forget to arm the 2-step ! :banghead: Sam

That is exactly what I did. Momentary switch on the lower left corner of the pedal. Ad long as you don't drive 2 footed normally, you won't ever activate the switch. My Boost Leash takes care of the launch boost From the same switch. Creep into the staging hot and when you get the second bulb , masj the gas pedal to the floor. As soon as I let off of the brake, the 2 step stops and the launch boost lets go...
So far I have been able to cut a 1.46 60 at 5 psi. When I get the tune dialed in to where the Alky isn't coming on so hard at 6 psi , I will see how it launches at 10 psi.

Bryan