You can type here any text you want

249 Stage 2, 70bbHPQ, 215/220 roller, L/U trans ----- What Converter?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jdpolzin

Well, I have been doing some thinking here guys and need a few different opinions on which converter would be the "BEST" for me. My car is primarily a street car but will see some track time. I have heard many different opinons on which to run. I currently have a PTS Billet 9/11 3200 L/U which I purchased new from Bruce and have literally driven 10 street miles on. Here's my set up:

249" Stage 2 motor GN1 ported heads
70bbHPQ turbo
3.5" DP BigWoodRacing
Full Billet Full Rollerized PTS trans L/U (Everything Bruce could throw at it)
26" tire street 27" tire track
215/220 Hydraulic Roller Cam
160lb inj
FAST XFI
E85

What do you guys think???? --------Jeremy

Id convert to NL and rin a PTC 9.5". check PM

I have about the same setup

Street driven is the key word. I have a Precision Industries multi disc (5)--# 6 pump which is around 3600 stall. I like the way it works for me. I tried an Art Carr N/L a few years ago and did not like it. I could not get used to the slipping when cruising. (guess I was to used to a L/U). Also lost .3 et and 4 MPH. My convertor has been very reliable and durable.

Ptc 9.5" N.L all the way with 16 vane configuration, very streetable, you wont be dissapointed. The vigilantie makes noise your car will sound like a clunker.

PTC converter from Dusty and I would also look into a 28"x10.5" tire over the 27". IMO you need a taller roll out for a good sixty foot.

PTC converter from Dusty and I would also look into a 28"x10.5" tire over the 27". IMO you need a taller roll out for a good sixty foot.

I hear ya on the tire size. My problem is, this car is lowered 1.5" in the rear with a heavily modded suspension all the way around. I'm hoping to be able to fit a taller tire but i dont think it's going to happen. This being a street car, I'm not too worried about dialing it in for optimal track performance as much as I am a combined Street/Strip combo. I have been talking with M+H and trying to get a good Strip tire that is 27x12.5-13.5. For the street, I have a set of 315/30R18's on 10" rims. The strip tires will be mounted on a set of 15x10's so I may be limited to a 12.5" wide tire do to rim width.

With a 27" tall tire, what is a good gear ratio for my combo? The 315's are 26" tall.

Call Dusty on hte PTC 9.5,With a 70HPQ i dont think hell go 16 stator,but being BB maybe.
He will know what to do

How much boost

and what are you going to buzz the engine to? Now i'm not going to speek for dusty, but this is what i would suspect: If your going to buzz the engine to the moon and boost the guts out of it, the 16 blade stator would be a good choice. I think though the best choice between street boost and kill boost would be the 17 blade stator.

The original question was which lock up converter. I'd say a multi-disc vig with a 6 pump and an 082 stator. The vig is usually set up with a 6 pump and a 086 stator. The 086 stator is a slippery mess with a 6 pump unless your really spinning the rpm's.

Hey Jeremy,

Yet another vote for a PTC non-lock. 16 or 17 blade. The street manners are perfectly fine.

I can get something very streetable in the non lock if you choose to go the non lock route. We would need to talk about rpm range/shift points and your target power level before finalizing the stall speed. PM me if your interested in going non lock.

Back