6 Speed Automatic Tranny - TCI?

Hot Air

E85 and S.E./Carolinas Moderator
Staff member
I keep seeing an ad for TCI's 6 speed auto tranny w/electronic control. Has anyone installed one in a TB? It would be nice to have a tranny in my GN that doesn't shift hard irregardless of the throttle position! 6 speeds would make it much easier to pick a good torque converter. Anyone?
Conrad Carter
Hot Air

I have a customer who just put one behind is sbc regal. Feel free to call for details

Cal,
What aare your thoughts on installing this tranny behind a 109 in a Regal? Can it be linked to FAST? Floorboard mods required? Obviously driveshaft will have to be shortened. Did it require a different bellhousing, flywheel, torque converter, etc?

As usual, thanks in advance for your sharing your experience with all of us.

Conrad

I spoke with the customer and I was suprised to find out it was behind a turbo Buick. He said they didn't have to modify the tunnel at all. They did modify the crossmember and used the appropriate bellhousing. He used a TCI controller linked to the XFI. It uses a new billet convertor and stock flywheel.

It would be awesome if he were to post pics of the mods on this forum or do they have another place where they have posted about the swap?? I drive a diesel truck with one of these new Allison transmissions. The only thing I dislike about how it works is that when I have it in neutral and revv up the engine some to build boost, the transmission does not engage until RPM have gone down to normal. Could one program the shift points at will(being computer controlled) as opposed to the old and tried mechanical governor on these new beasts??

I have been thinking of going with this set up myself. The manumatic with paddle shift would be awesome and I think would work alot better than a manual transmission would with our turbos.:cool: