60 Series Turbo's & my plan

Raven

Here - watch THIS!
Ok, I've narrowed it down to a 60 Series turbo that I'm going to go with - the problem is now which one? I like the numbers I've seen on the 60, but - I talked to PTE today and they told me about a (I think this is the right number) a CT-61 (does that sound right?) that sounds pretty trick. Then, I talked with Limit (John Craig's shop) and the guy I talked with said with stock heads I should not go higher than a -62. But - I've seen some combo's on here with -63's and stock heads and I like the idea of a Big Shaft Turbo. Hmmm... so, which should it be?

I want to be comfortable running mid 11's with the stock heads but still have enough 'oomph' left in the turbo to be able to handle either a port/polish of my stockers OR a new set of Champions or similar next spring. I also want to get those mid 11's with proper tuning using ~20 psi of boost.

My first inclination is to go with the -63 and be done with it, along with the new 57# injectors, cold air (such as the Big Mouth), a 3000 stall, a stretch stock location intercooler, 3" dp, and a VERY low restriction exhaust, perhaps a straight shot or even no muffler at all - just 3" pipe all the way out the back. I've already got the basics covered (adj f/p regulator, hotwired Walbro 340m, Scanmaster II, etc). I will also be running a 28" tall tire, most likely a solid DR for the street and slicks at the track.

Is this a good plan? Other suggestions?

3000 Stall?

Ball bearing CPT66 (cottons) or else a TA-TE61.

I have the TA62 with the 3200 Protorque and it's okay but not like a stocker. ;)

Get the 3200 stall and a 63 might work. 3400-3500 is more normal I think.

Stock heads suck with a big turbo for sure.

You won't see mid 11's at 20 psi. without aluminum heads in MHO.

Just stuff gathered from reading not racing. :D

My goals are still high 11's on pump gas with alky. and DR's.

Never gonna see them but I can dream. My car is a piggy.

Start by ripping out some stuff on the car as you will need to lighten it up.

You have to hit the 11's berfore you can hit the mid 11's. :cool:

I think 25-26psi. will do it with stock heads and a race chip assuming normal weight GN.

Craig guy was on the money for the 3000 stall. :)

my father is also thinking of getting a turbo in the future, but hasn't maxed his current setup. i told him to max it out first then think about spending more $$ or get his heads done.

his combo:
turbonetics stage 4 (comparable to a 60-1)
50#inj.
rjc power plate
3200 stall
stock heads
?mystery cam?
terry houston "jersey style" 3"dp (dump open 24/7)
kb exhaust sys.
j.testa street chip-@19-20 psi on pump gas

if and when my father decides,what turbo would compliment his converter w/o being too much for the stock heads?

i think PTE was talking to you about the PT61 which has the new GT series 61mm wheel that is very very efficient and is pretty much a replacement for the older 60-1 wheel buts its lighter and more efficient so spool is faster and makes more power

I THINK YOU WANT A TURBO I HAVE A TE63-1 FOR SALE JUST REBUILT BY PTE OVER 500.00 DOLLARS TO REBUILD WILL SALE WITH PAPERS FOR 650.00 HEAVY DUTY WATEGATE ACUTOR TO GO WITH IT.TOM.-1-708-466-6536.