6pt Roll Bar from JW Racing-Fab...

thrlskr

Joe at JW in CT sent me some pics of the finished roll bar with swing outs. The fit looks great and you can't deal with a better guy than Joe.

Bill

Attachments

• Rollbar3.jpg
    Rollbar3.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,066
  • Rollbar5.jpg
    Rollbar5.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 986
  • Rollbar7.jpg
    Rollbar7.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 1,265
  • Rollbar6.jpg
    Rollbar6.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 935
  • Rollbar8.jpg
    Rollbar8.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 866
How far will a 6 point take you? (NHRA rules)

on a unmodified body like the GN if its done per NHRA specs you're good to 10.00 and slower than 135mph
and actually you only need 5 points , the passenger side door bar isn't required
some nhra classes require a full cageto go this fast so if running nhra class is your thing you should be looking at the rules for your class

and a roll bar doesnt need to be certified but is subject to local tech inspection for compliance with nhra specs for full frame car w/ roll bar , that means it points must be welded to the frame (swingouts allowed but must meet nhra specs) and must be min 1 3/4 diameter with no grinding of the welds , and rear cross bar must be welded in ... if they feel its not to spec they can treat it as if you didnt have a roll bar and limit you to 11.50

youll also need all the other safety equipment required by NHRA to go to 10.00 as well like good dated 3" 5point harness properly installed and other stuff (check the rules ) to be legal to run to 10.00

Nice work.. the main hoop looks a little far forward and the rear bars could have been tighter but getting them tighter than he did takes extra work.

Joe at JW in CT sent me some pics of the finished roll bar with swing outs. The fit looks great and you can't deal with a better guy than Joe.

Bill

Really nice install. Can you post some pics of the package shelf and trunk area. Thanks! I'm getting one done in a few weeks, but want to avoid the speaker holes. Although, I suppose if I'm going through all this trouble I might as well have the guy fab a new shelf with relocated speakers if that's easier than bending the rear bars.

Really nice install. Can you post some pics of the package shelf and trunk area. Thanks! I'm getting one done in a few weeks, but want to avoid the speaker holes. Although, I suppose if I'm going through all this trouble I might as well have the guy fab a new shelf with relocated speakers if that's easier than bending the rear bars.

There is room between the speakers and the side to fit a bar in there. No need to redo the shelf.

Joe (JW Racing) does awesome work. I wish he did my cage. :frown:

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

I do not have rear speakers so running through the package shelf was not an issue for me. Also..with a 6pt the bar is 1 3/4 which makes it more difficult to run through the hinges/side of the car.

I've also heard that landing the bars directly above the shocks/axle mounts may be better structurally...but just an opinion.

Billy - Thanks for the comparison pics - Joe did a great job.

Attachments

• Rollbar4.jpg
    Rollbar4.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 619
Nice work.. the main hoop looks a little far forward and the rear bars could have been tighter but getting them tighter than he did takes extra work.

Being a chassis guy, the main hoop should be directly above the sockets where the lower control arms attach. The rear bars should be straight ( I understand why they are this way for the backseat ) and attach directly over the upper shock mounts. I have modded several cages this way for cars that are both racecars / street machines. Very nice swing-outs.

How fast are you looking to go with this?

Thanks
Coach

That looks absolutely perfect and does not interfere with the seat belt like others do. It is a street car. That thing fits like a glove. He bends that bar perfectly so ur arm rest doesn't get crushed when u close the door. Look at those welds.

Joe is probably one of the most talented people I have ever met. Incredible welder, fabricator, race car builder, etc... He does it all and is at the top of his game in this field. Ever see one of his tube chassis builds?

He has a 3 month waiting list. Not many shops can say that.

That looks absolutely perfect and does not interfere with the seat belt like others do. It is a street car.

Joe is probably one of the most talented people I have ever met. Incredible welder, fabricator, race car builder, etc... He does it all and is at the top of his game in this field. Ever see one of his tube chassis builds?

He has a 3 month waiting list. Not many shops can say that.
and when he brings your car in,he gets right to it,finishes it and you pick it up.
He will not take on a job till he can get right to it.
no leaving your car at the chassis shop for 6 months for 3 days of work.

I hope it is several years before this becomes an issue for me, but just wondering, how much does something like this cost? I'm assuming it is cheaper and easier for the fabricator if the car was dropped off at a shop with the interior already stripped out.

I am looking to go 10.50-10.70s with the car in the spring without leaning on it too much with the stock bottom end.

The cost of the 6 pt bar in chrome moly (All Tig welded) starts around $1500 and goes up if you want swing-outs.

Are you painting the cage or covering it with fabric? I have done both and either way is a pain in the azz. Paint always seems to get scratched getting in and out when working in the car. I have covered the last few I did with fabric. When done right it looks better than paint. It is a little time consuming, but you do not have to gut it and paint it. PM me if you want some ideas. I did a few ISCA cars years ago.

Just offering,
Coach

Are you painting the cage or covering it with fabric? I have done both and either way is a pain in the azz. Paint always seems to get scratched getting in and out when working in the car. I have covered the last few I did with fabric. When done right it looks better than paint. It is a little time consuming, but you do not have to gut it and paint it. PM me if you want some ideas. I did a few ISCA cars years ago.

Just offering,
Coach
Whats a ball park price on something like that? Materials and labor?

Whats a ball park price on something like that? Materials and labor?

I haven't done one in years but if it is velcroed seam it is cheaper than a hand sewn seam. You would have to see what a shop in your area is charging and what material would be. For a good Lord of the Rings fan, it would be cheaper...LOL

Rough guess today, 500-700 hand sewn w/ material.

Coach