9-inch rear: drum-to-drum g-body kits (Strange, Moser, etc...) fit w/o fabbing?

GN SBS

Hi folks,

I'm needing to get rid of my c-clips and do some strengthening to the rear this winter. Will be launching off a brake this spring and want to built one rear to last me deep into the 9s.

I'm finding that selling my current rear drum-to-drum and installing a pre-built 9-inch from one of the big vendors (Strange, Mosier, Currie) doesn't end up costing much more than doing ford ends and can save me some time (a precious thing given an infant in the house).

• A question on the pre-built 9" rear setups: do the g-body kits setups really fit or will I be looking at a bunch of fabrication or parts swaps (control arms or other stuff) to get the rear in?

• Anything else to think about regarding a 9-inch swap? I'm pretty set on selling the current rear and don't want to do a 12-bolt.

Thanks folks,
Scott

You're exactly right ! I thought the same thing. I sold my 8.5 for $850 and got a complet 9" with Wilwood disk brakes, Strange center, and 35 spline axles, ready to bolt in for $2400 to my door. It would of costed more to upgrade the posi, axles, and Ford ends on my 8.5
Get in touch with Quick Performance out of Iowa. They're the cheapest and do an amazing job. I have a spool in mine, If you want to go limited slip or locker, it will be a couple hundred more.
I'll see if I can find you some pics. Good Luck. Scott

contact http://www.quickperformance.com/contact.htm

can do some great deals,
they have package deals, and can customize for your application,
I had them narrow the 9in rear, 3 in overall, for my T type, it makes for eazy fit of any rims, ( I notched the frame also)

Here ya go.

Attachments

• 062.jpg
    062.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 4,131
I had a Currie rear end in my last T.. it was a straight drop in.

Currie rear in mine. For some reason the original owner put it in the car when it had less than 1000 miles on it! Didn't get the original when I bought it. :mad:

You MAY also need to change the driveshaft length or at least the rear u-joint to mate with the Ford rear. Not quite sure since it was already in the car.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

• Scott, did she drop right in?

• Jay, Scott: did you run a spool or locker (or posi) in your rear?

Other folks, do chime in with your own experiences.

You MAY also need to change the driveshaft length or at least the rear u-joint to mate with the Ford rear. Not quite sure since it was already in the car.

I'm going to be swapping my 200 for a 4L80E at the same time and will need a custom driveshaft for that-- two birds one stone. Thanks for flagging this for other folks though; there was a surprising lack of good stuff on 9-inch rears in the archives.

Good point Mark. You will need driveshaft work. I had a brand new 3.5" steel shaft made. 1350 joint in the rear. Conversion joint in the front. Other than that is was cake. Quick Performance also sold me a braided brake line kit for something like $75.

Couple more pics. Another thing. If you have a HR parts sway bar. I had to put 1/4" spacers under the mounts to give me clearance under the drain plug.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 3,156
  • 061.jpg
    061.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 3,233
I bought a Currie 9 inch a long time ago for my junk.
We ended up putting it in Chow's car.
I had it with a 1350 u joint so I needed a drive shaft too, since we run a 400 and PG we had to do one anyay.
It was bolt in and went 8.3s with the locker and 7.9s with the spool.
Dusty also has a bolt in 9 inch and has gone 7.7s with it.
I don't remember who did his though...

I have a direct bolt in chris alston fab 9 in my car,fits perfect and no c-clip eliminators to leak....

A frind of mine bouhgt everything from Cottons Performance center last year. Jack gave him a reeally good deal on everything. I assembled it for him. The housing, axles, center section (already set up with the spool ,ring & pinion in it), and disc brakes all came in seperate boxes. I think it saved him money on shipping getting it this way.

It installed with no surprises. Get a hold of Jack he is a Moser dealer and can get you set up with exactly what you need.

Thanks to everyone who posted with their experiences. You've given me plenty of evidence that the g-body nine-inch packages fit without hassles.

To those who posted with good suggestions see my new separate post here for some questions about what parts to build the rear with.

Thanks again,
Scott

When I beefed up my 10 bolt.......

Ford ends
Ford drum brakes
Moser 33 spline axles and spool
all new bearings

1000.00 $ including the labor to cut and weld the ends.......nowhere close to 2400.00 $

1000.00 $ including the labor to cut and weld the ends.......nowhere close to 2400.00 $

The cost estimate that I did ended up over $1k, but even so if you sell the stock rear for $1k and just drop the new one in it is close. $400 for a new rear and brake setup after the old is sold.

The cost estimate that I did ended up over $1k, but even so if you sell the stock rear for $1k and just drop the new one in it is close. $400 for a new rear and brake setup after the old is sold.

That is exactly what i did.....Sold the stock setup and had to add a few dollars to get the new setup but was well worth it!!!

When I beefed up my 10 bolt.......

Ford ends
Ford drum brakes
Moser 33 spline axles and spool
all new bearings

Dwayne at a certain performance level I am not sure the 8.5 gears will live.
Most of us won't get there though!