A little overview of how our weekend went

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoneguy's Son

After trying to leave Sunday morning, and both of our trailers we had lined up to borrow breaking, we end up buying a trailer tuesday afternoon, putting us leaving wednesday at 6:30am. The 15 hour drive went well, with the exception of the truck just not quite having the cojones to pull a 4000lb car and trailer through the mountains. In any case, I think we took everyone's bad luck, and horded it for ourselves. Here's an overview of the weekend.

--Car comes off trailer
--Coolant "S" hose was pinched and leaking
--Fixed "S" hose
--Coolant bypass/throttle body heater was leaking
--Fixed by bypassing the throttle body
--Vacuum leak at EGR Blockoff
--Fixed with Copper gasket maker
--Car finally goes to Dyno
----Attempt to move fuel pressure gauge onto windshield
----'Dale' tries to untwist braided line
----'Dale' arcs braided line against alternator post
----'Dale' blows a 5-8ft orange fireball in my face
------TurboBuick.com members now call me Human Torch
----Fix by capping off FPG hole with schraeder valve + cap
--Car gets back on rollers
--After 2 25% rolls, car starts knocking
----Very evident that it isn't the motor
----We assume torque converter bolts
--Find source of "knock"
----All pressure plate/flywheel bolts are finger tight
------EPIC FAIL.
--Pull car onto lift, get tranny down in 10 minutes thanks to Richard Clark and his ridiculous selection of tools, both Snap-On and custom made
----Tighten everything, and Loc-Tite everything
--Change oil for safe measures
----Drain
----Pull Filter
----Replace Filter
----Fill
--Pour 5qts Castrol GTX on shop floor.
----Spend 1 hour cleaning up 5 qts Castrol GTX
-------EPIC FAIL.
--Raise car back up on lift
----Remove old oil filter gasket that got pushed out
----Replace oil filter
----Refill oil
--Car runs great now, no knocking
--Put car back on Dyno
--Make 2-3 50% throttle runs
--Make 56% throttle run
++++make 489whp @ 15-21psi
++++++WOOT!!
--Make WOT run
----at roughly 1second of WOT, eject cylinder 2 fuel injector and spray 10-12ft of pressurized gasoline
--Get disheartened
--Pull car off rollers
--Fix injector next day
--No more time for Dyno
--Find out B&M Pro Ratchet shifter linkage is off by a hair
----Spend 2 hours adjusting
--Fix shifter
++++WOOT!!
--Drive car around premises
--Find that boost gauge is no longer working
--Have son (me) blow in vacuum lines
----Son creates 3psi of boost
------Make jokes
--Give up and put car back on trailer, with no finalized Dyno numbers, no finalized tune, and no track numbers.
--Start 15 hour drive home at 6pm
--Make it roughly one hour out of town.
--Find auto parts store
--Buy parts to replace faulty O2 sensor and MAF sensor on truck
----Try for over an hour to get rusted O2 sensor out
----Fail
--Make it roughly another 45 minutes out of town
--Front driver side brake on truck locks up
--Decide to do brake job in Advance Auto Parts parking lot
----Find that everything is rusted, and lower slide bolt wont slide after repeatedly striking with hammer
----Decide "**** IT"
--Find out trailer brake lights are no longer working
----Find that pin on truck's connector is corroded and broken, only the pin that provides power to the brakes themselves
------Mess with connector for 45minutes
------Guy at Advance suggest "DUH, make a jumper and fix it later, as it's now 1am"
----Take Mr. Parts Guy's advice, wondering why we didn't think of that to begin with.
--Finally get on with 15 hour return trip @ 1:45am
--Decide to stop for food, as last meal eaten was roughly 9am.
----Type in "Taco Bell" on GPS'
----GPS takes us 45 minutes back tracking, only to find we cannot make it through the drive through
----Try every other drive through we can find
------EPIC FAIL.
----Decide, once again, "**** IT"
----Go looking for truck stop with attached fast food restaurant
--While driving down highway, music playing, conversation being had, hear "CLANK CLank clank"
----Say "WTF WAS THAT?!"
------Pull over, figure out we lost a trailer ramp
----Double back on ourselves almost 8miles
----Find ramp
------Thank Jesus that it's still straight.
--Finally find McDonalds 10 miles later.
----Eat
--Co-pilot (me) passes out.

Big thanks go out to Mr. Clark, who was a great person to meet, and a phenomenally hospitable host. Thank you from both my father and myself for everything you provided for us, including your help and wisdom.

To everyone I met--Dale, Dale's wife who's name I never caught, Michael, Gary, Pete, Bob, XRay, Julio, Cal, Dave Fiscus, and I'm sure several people who's names I either never caught or forgot (I'm terrible with names)--it was a pleasure to meet you! Except you, Dale *grumbles about fire*.:biggrin:

WOW!! I will never complain about my problems at track again. Glad you finally made it back home. Bet you will never forget that trip , and you will have plenty of laughs over cold ones in the future. WOW Mike:cool:

I talked to your dad this morning............

Your description pretty much sums up the conversation....:frown:

If it is any solace almost anyone who does enough of this kind of thing for any length of time has a trip or experience like this.

The trip from hellllllll....:biggrin: You guy's will have to get it the bugs lined out and make a few local appearances.

I feel your pain. You are not the only one that had troubles though...lol. I got dumped about 3 miles from Richards shop. It only dumps me after 150 miles of driving...so far it's done it 3 times. Richard and I diagnosed that it was the fuel pump failing so I replaced the pump. While replacing the pump I found out I had a RF coil spring broken....that was Thursday.

Friday night some friends and I went out to eat. I filled up the fuel tank full on the way...no biggie...right? Well, while we were in the resturant, the waiter comes over and asks if anyone owns a yellow mid 70's Malibu and that the fire truck and police were waiting for me to go out there. My thoughts were that the car burned up in the parking lot. However, the fuel cap had leaked out from pressure pushing it out since I didn't tighten it all the way. While we were all standing around (with red and blue flashing lights) the cop says my windows were too dark. But since I was from out of town he let me slide.

Saturday went fine without incident...thank God...and the car made the 200 mile trip back home just fine.

Dang..................sorry to hear about the problems. :frown:.......anywho........did anyone take a bunch of pics or any videos? I for one would like to see them. :biggrin:

Phoneguy's son--------absolutely well written! I hate to say I laughed my ass off reading that.

At least you guys made it to the nationals. I have two broken Buicks that couldn't out of the driveway by Thursday in time to drive 800 miles there, despite working on them all weekend and all week after work.

very sorry for a problematic trip, but I was laughing so hard I had tears, only because it reminds me of a few bad trips I have been on. so I was not laughing at you, I was laughing with you. :D

holy crap ! sorry for your problems. I thought I had it bad until I read this !
My trip home was fine until about 30 miles out, the hummer tranny decided to take a rest. So, I unloaded the car on the side of the interstate at 2am and drove it home. Needless to say, I made it home a little faster ! :biggrin:

I feel your pain. You are not the only one that had troubles though...lol. I got dumped about 3 miles from Richards shop. It only dumps me after 150 miles of driving...so far it's done it 3 times. Richard and I diagnosed that it was the fuel pump failing so I replaced the pump. While replacing the pump I found out I had a RF coil spring broken....that was Thursday.

Friday night some friends and I went out to eat. I filled up the fuel tank full on the way...no biggie...right? Well, while we were in the resturant, the waiter comes over and asks if anyone owns a yellow mid 70's Malibu and that the fire truck and police were waiting for me to go out there. My thoughts were that the car burned up in the parking lot. However, the fuel cap had leaked out from pressure pushing it out since I didn't tighten it all the way. While we were all standing around (with red and blue flashing lights) the cop says my windows were too dark. But since I was from out of town he let me slide.

Saturday went fine without incident...thank God...and the car made the 200 mile trip back home just fine.

I was the car next to you installing the double pumper while you were replacing your fuel pump. When the coil spring popped it scared the crap out of my son!
Glad the cop let you off.

Bryan

holy crap ! sorry for your problems. I thought I had it bad until I read this !
My trip home was fine until about 30 miles out, the hummer tranny decided to take a rest. So, I unloaded the car on the side of the interstate at 2am and drove it home. Needless to say, I made it home a little faster ! :biggrin:

Damn that sucks!
It was good meeting you Derrick, hope to see you at BG. Maybe my car will cooperate and actually go down the track. Congrats on your win.

Bryan

After trying to leave Sunday morning, and both of our trailers we had lined up to borrow breaking, we end up buying a trailer tuesday afternoon, putting us leaving wednesday at 6:30am. The 15 hour drive went well, with the exception of the truck just not quite having the cojones to pull a 4000lb car and trailer through the mountains. In any case, I think we took everyone's bad luck, and horded it for ourselves. Here's an overview of the weekend.

--Car comes off trailer
--Coolant "S" hose was pinched and leaking
--Fixed "S" hose
--Coolant bypass/throttle body heater was leaking
--Fixed by bypassing the throttle body
--Vacuum leak at EGR Blockoff
--Fixed with Copper gasket maker
--Car finally goes to Dyno
----Attempt to move fuel pressure gauge onto windshield
----'Dale' tries to untwist braided line
----'Dale' arcs braided line against alternator post
----'Dale' blows a 5-8ft orange fireball in my face
------TurboBuick.com members now call me Human Torch
----Fix by capping off FPG hole with schraeder valve + cap
--Car gets back on rollers
--After 2 25% rolls, car starts knocking
----Very evident that it isn't the motor
----We assume torque converter bolts
--Find source of "knock"
----All pressure plate/flywheel bolts are finger tight
------EPIC FAIL.
--Pull car onto lift, get tranny down in 10 minutes thanks to Richard Clark and his ridiculous selection of tools, both Snap-On and custom made
----Tighten everything, and Loc-Tite everything
--Change oil for safe measures
----Drain
----Pull Filter
----Replace Filter
----Fill
--Pour 5qts Castrol GTX on shop floor.
----Spend 1 hour cleaning up 5 qts Castrol GTX
-------EPIC FAIL.
--Raise car back up on lift
----Remove old oil filter gasket that got pushed out
----Replace oil filter
----Refill oil
--Car runs great now, no knocking
--Put car back on Dyno
--Make 2-3 50% throttle runs
--Make 56% throttle run
++++make 489whp @ 15-21psi
++++++WOOT!!
--Make WOT run
----at roughly 1second of WOT, eject cylinder 2 fuel injector and spray 10-12ft of pressurized gasoline
--Get disheartened
--Pull car off rollers
--Fix injector next day
--No more time for Dyno
--Find out B&M Pro Ratchet shifter linkage is off by a hair
----Spend 2 hours adjusting
--Fix shifter
++++WOOT!!
--Drive car around premises
--Find that boost gauge is no longer working
--Have son (me) blow in vacuum lines
----Son creates 3psi of boost
------Make jokes
--Give up and put car back on trailer, with no finalized Dyno numbers, no finalized tune, and no track numbers.
--Start 15 hour drive home at 6pm
--Make it roughly one hour out of town.
--Find auto parts store
--Buy parts to replace faulty O2 sensor and MAF sensor on truck
----Try for over an hour to get rusted O2 sensor out
----Fail
--Make it roughly another 45 minutes out of town
--Front driver side brake on truck locks up
--Decide to do brake job in Advance Auto Parts parking lot
----Find that everything is rusted, and lower slide bolt wont slide after repeatedly striking with hammer
----Decide "**** IT"
--Find out trailer brake lights are no longer working
----Find that pin on truck's connector is corroded and broken, only the pin that provides power to the brakes themselves
------Mess with connector for 45minutes
------Guy at Advance suggest "DUH, make a jumper and fix it later, as it's now 1am"
----Take Mr. Parts Guy's advice, wondering why we didn't think of that to begin with.
--Finally get on with 15 hour return trip @ 1:45am
--Decide to stop for food, as last meal eaten was roughly 9am.
----Type in "Taco Bell" on GPS'
----GPS takes us 45 minutes back tracking, only to find we cannot make it through the drive through
----Try every other drive through we can find
------EPIC FAIL.
----Decide, once again, "**** IT"
----Go looking for truck stop with attached fast food restaurant
--While driving down highway, music playing, conversation being had, hear "CLANK CLank clank"
----Say "WTF WAS THAT?!"
------Pull over, figure out we lost a trailer ramp
----Double back on ourselves almost 8miles
----Find ramp
------Thank Jesus that it's still straight.
--Finally find McDonalds 10 miles later.
----Eat
--Co-pilot (me) passes out.

Big thanks go out to Mr. Clark, who was a great person to meet, and a phenomenally hospitable host. Thank you from both my father and myself for everything you provided for us, including your help and wisdom.

To everyone I met--Dale, Dale's wife who's name I never caught, Michael, Gary, Pete, Bob, XRay, Julio, Cal, Dave Fiscus, and I'm sure several people who's names I either never caught or forgot (I'm terrible with names)--it was a pleasure to meet you! Except you, Dale *grumbles about fire*.:biggrin:

Glad im not the only guy that has these problems. Seems as though its always something. Glad you made it home ok.

I talked to your dad this morning............

Your description pretty much sums up the conversation....:frown:

If it is any solace almost anyone who does enough of this kind of thing for any length of time has a trip or experience like this.

The trip from hellllllll....:biggrin: You guy's will have to get it the bugs lined out and make a few local appearances.

Ronnie, good talking to you. The bad part is I know he left some stuff out! The second problem we had was actually the brake light coming on. I removed the accumulator ball and handed it to the professional ( Richard Clark ) for testing...0% good. I asked him if he knew of anyone at the Nationals that had a ball I could purchase, he turned around and grabbed what appeared to be a new Kirbans ball and said " you can use this till Saturday to get you going". Richards hospitality is second to NONE!
Richard if you are reading this , THANK YOU for ALL you do, you are one in a ZILLION.
For those that have never seen Richards "shop", it is incredible! Richard owns more tools than I have ever seen. He even makes his own specialty tools. He has more GM parts for our cars than GM has. He is a very humble person that doesn't act like he has money or that he is better than you. He even helped remove the transmission from my car instead of going to the track where he was heading too. I am already looking forward to next year!

Bryan

WOW, I didn't expect this much activity from the newb's thread! :D

Turbo1dr That was on badass Malibuick!!!

I like how I get no "special thanks" in pop's signature...lol. All the bull$*# I put up with...and NOTHIN haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.