Advancement of fuel delivery?

The delay box is almost in. One more wire to hook up. It's the wire that will control the nitrous system delay. Then some dry testing to check the delay functions.

The delay box controls up to 5 circuits. I'll be using two. One for the nitrous system activation and one for the transbrake release. The delay timer will start on the release of the transbrake button at the first sign of the first amber. The nitrous will be delayed until some point after the second amber, then the transbrake will release around the third amber. The fun will be playing with the delay settings for each circuit to get the perfect launch attitude and reaction time.

Don, have you ever looked into the 7531 MSD ignition? It has numerous outputs, timing controls and timers for nitrous use. It's a bit overwhelming when you first look at the software because it can do so much. The timers work around the transbrake release as well.

If I were running a distributor, it might have been something to consider. I appreciate the suggestion though.

There's no way you can go that fast without a distributor!! :confused: :wink:

Scott Wile

Sorry. Must have missed that memo.

Delay box is in and functional. I'm going to program in my delay as being .218. The cars rollout at .240 seconds and the time the nitrous is on before the transbrake releases at .400 seconds. I think this should turn out to be a tame launch.:confused: :tongue:

Donnie,
You kill me...timing things to 1/1,000 of a second! LOL!!
Conrad

Import Drags at Barona

This Friday night their having import drags at Barona. I'm taking the car up to show them what good ol' American iron can do. I hope no Toyota trucks show up. :(

Any cars are welcome.

I hear there's going to be hoochie mamas too. How come Buick events don't have hoochie mamas? Could bring attendance up.:cool:

Because most of the women you see driving Buicks are more likely to be considered hoochie grandmamas.

You know, I was thinking the same thing when I made the post. I asked myself, where would you find the girls to participate in something like that? Someones grandchild? That just doesn't seem right. "Hey Bufford. Your grand daughter sure is looking mighty fine up there on stage. Hubba, hubba." It just doesn't work, does it.

An interesting issue came up with the delay box. Whenever I would activate the line loc solenoid, either purposely or by accident, on deactivation of the line loc solenoid, the delay box would reset. The reset wire lead to the delay box is not connected. I really have no need for it so I left it wound up, off to the side and out of the way. I can only figure that EMI from the collapsing of the magnetic field of the line loc solenoid is causing a surge in the delay box, causing it to reset without direct command from me. The components and electrical circuits are well spaced from each other. Hmmm.

I'm going to double check the configuration of the reset circuit and try connecting it to a ground source, instead of leaving it open.

The way I have this delay box configured, whenever it is powered up or the 'launch in' wire is activated, the transbrake solenoid activates. It made things interesting when I down shifted to 1st while rolling up to the staging lights after the burnout. Not the kind of thing you want happening if you accidently tap the line loc switch in the middle of a run. Especially when the delay box also partially controls the N20 system.

I just checked on that lead that I thought was a reset lead. It's actually a pause or advance (depending on how the user has it configured) command lead. I doubt that's the problem. I'm going to monitor the main 12V feed lead to the delay unit to look for voltage spikes from the line loc solenoid. I may need to install a filter.

Other than that problem, the results of using the delay box are very promising. The last time span of nitrous activation to transbrake release tested was .460 of a second. The launch was dreamy. Not too soft. Not to hard. Just right. The car left nice and flat. I'll be increasing the time span .01 of a second at a time to see what's out there.

My reaction time delay setting was a different matter. I could not get used to releasing on that first amber. Practice, practice, practice.

Monitored the power feed to the delay box and found voltage spiking upwards of 70 volts on the release of the line loc solenoid. The spike was shutting down and restarting the delay box. Installed a Shogun 'Stop It' close to the line loc solenoid and the problem is solved. Testing to continue this Saturday.

The only way I was able to capture the voltage spike was with a scope meter. The min/max feature of a Fluke 87 volt/ohm meter was not fast enough to catch it.

In fact solenoids in general need clamp or snubber circuits across them to deal properly with this kick back. Unfortunately most automotive after market stuff ignores this fact. In the days of points ignitions a condenser (snubber) was used to prevent points from quickly burning out from the arc produced from inductive kick back.

However this statement from the Shogun "Tech Tips" is wrong. Either they are intentionally trying to mislead to help sell the product, or the author doesn't understand. Guess let's hope for the latter:

"Problem: The longer a switch is held closed (electrical flow) by either the momentary trans brake button or a timer function, the higher the dc current becomes. The higher the current, the slower the release time of the solenoid. Depending on the length of time held, we have seen a typical 12 volts increase to as high as 875 volts."

No, the DC voltage doesn't increase to as much as 875V as you hold the button down longer. Just the facts ma'am.

The meter is an excellent tool but is an integrating A/D and thus does not have a lot of bandwidth or a fast sampling speed (by design). You might eventually catch the voltage spike near it's peak though, assuming you wanted to try long enough ;)

BTW Don the Min/Max function is not a peak detector, it just holds the lowest/highest sample taken. Thus if you don't happen to sample on the peak, you won't see it.

TurboTR

All good stuff Todd. I read that on their site too and was a little taken back. I could understand it if they were referring to the collapse of the e/m field of the solenoid coil. I figured someone just worded things wrong. Regardless, their product works.

Do you have them sharing a common ground or power source?

I have a similar separate NO2 fuel setup, that I'm putting on my turbo LS1 car I'm putting together, hadn't thought about doing so on my GN.....but its stock, and I've never known what the stock lines/rails were good for.

At any rate...

What software are you using for tuning? Are there no plug ins for most of these operations you're using on you NO2? (delay, progressive controller, even though, from what I can tell from reading, it seems to be a reverse progressive)

I also noticed you said you have it on a WOT switch.....why a WOT and not a Hobb?

-Will