You can type here any text you want

Advancement of fuel delivery?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Do you have them sharing a common ground or power source?

Both. I'm thinking of running the ground for the line loc and shunt device directly to the ground post of the battery.

What software are you using for tuning?)

I'm using the Electromotive TEC3r.

Are there no plug ins for most of these operations you're using on you NO2? (delay, progressive controller, even though, from what I can tell from reading, it seems to be a reverse progressive)

There are no timer delays built into the TEC3r.

I do still have some unused GPOs on the TEC3r. One, or better, a combination of two general purpose outputs (GPOs) could be used as a progressive controller to control the nitrous system chemical and the nitrous system fuel side separately through varying duty cycle of each solenoid over a period of rpm versus map. The only advantage I could see to progressively controlling my nitrous system, as it pertains to the effect I'm looking for, would be at the shut down of the system. It would take quite a bit of time to come up with the perfect ramp downs of duty cycle for each side of the system inorder to maintain a proper mixture throughout the complete ramp down event. The way I am doing it seemed to be the quickest way to come up with the desired result, which was to mainly shut down the nitrous without any lean spikes. All I needed to do was play with the delay of the off time for the fuel side of the system until any lean spike caused by the accumulating effect of the nitrous chemical side was gone.

The effect I'm looking for from my nitrous system is for it to initially hit hard during the countdown of the tree to get the boost level to a certain point before the transbrake is released. On the turn off side, it would be nice to have it progressively come off so that the transition of the engine being on some boost and nitrous to climbing boost only is unnoticeable. The launch of the last run I did yesterday felt smooth, I had to ask someone that saw the launch whether they saw any nose down of the car in the 60 foot. I couldn't tell and they couldn't remember noticing anything like that. Mission accomplished without having to mess with two intertwined progression ramps.

I also noticed you said you have it on a WOT switch.....why a WOT and not a Hobb?

-Will

A WOT switch is the most basic safety feature that any nitrous system should have in place. In fact, I have four devices that must be met before nitrous can flow.

1) Nitrous bottle valve must be open.
2) Master arming switch must be closed.
3) WOT switch must be closed.
4) One of the GPOs of the TEC3r controls a relay that must be closed. The two conditions that must be met for the TEC3r to close this relay are:
1) Engine rpm must be 2440 rpm and above.
2) Manifold pressure must be 94 kPa and above.

The TEC unit is basically doing the job of both a rpm switch and Hobbs switch.

I now have the Shogun device on the line loc solenoid and a 20 amp filter on the main power lead to the 5 circuit delay box and the box is still shutting down and re-powering up whenever it feels like during a run. On one recent run it re-powered up right after releasing the transbrake. This caused the transbrake solenoid to re-energize and lock the trans up. I thought something had snapped in the trans until I looked at the LEDs on the delay box and realized it had re-powered up. This is my first experience with a MSD product and it's not turning out to be a good one. I've heard of the nightmares that some have gone through with MSD ignition boxes. I'm starting to feel their pain.

The next plan is to better isolate the delay box and all leads of the box to eliminate any chance of EMI.

Don do you have all these devices powered from a central power distribution block? Might be time to give the MSD and the line loc their own isloated power feeds to the battery.

TurboTR

Don do you have all these devices powered from a central power distribution block? Might be time to give the MSD and the line loc their own isloated power feeds to the battery.

TurboTR
Yes. I'm going to separate and carry the power feeds to the master kill switch.

Upgrade in progress.

I've decided it's time to upgrade the turbocharger. The T76 has always been a limiting factor of the horsepower potential of my combination. The plan is to make the cylinder heads the limiting factor. The new target is 1170 to 1230 hp at a manifold pressure of 42 to 45 psi. The new turbo is a FI91X from Forced Inductions. It has a 91mm inducer Borg Warner ETT compressor wheel. The turbine housing is a T6 style with a 1.1 a/r ratio. Turbine wheel configuration unknown. Top Secret :tongue: . The 91X comp wheel puts out a max 165 lbs/min. From the numbers I was given, I can only imagine that the compressor map is enormous. Max usable PR is 5.5 @ 125 lbs/min. Holy cow :eek: . From what I've learned about the BW setups, it should spool like a much smaller turbo. We'll see. My 195 hp shot of port injected nitrous will be put to the real test with this one.

A new Weldon fuel pump is on order. My old pump was at the limit of its capability. With my 1 to 1 referenced fuel regulator I was crossing the finish line with 45 psi fuel rail pressure. Taking into account the delta across the electronic injectors and mechanical nozzles with 28 to 32 psi boost, I'm amazed the engine performed as well as it did. New fuel nozzles may be in the wings too, but we're going to install the new pump first and make some runs with it to get some new data for simpler calculations for future nozzle choices.

New tires are coming. I'll be needing to notch the frame rails for the new rears. Anti-roll bar and boost controller also on order.

Donnie,
Congrats on the new, bigger turbo. Let me get this straight...you have not yet touched the frame rails for bigger tires? What size wheel/tires are you running now?
Conrad C.

Rear tires were 28/10.5-15 M/T on 10" wide rims. Sectional width is 12".
New tires will be 29.5/10.5-15W on the same 10" rim. Sectional width is 13.6".
Old tread width was 10". New will be 11.2".

As it is with the old tires, there was 1/2" clearance to the frame rails, with tire rubbing evidence marks on the left side. That is what was probably steering the car to the left on hard launches while in the air.

Donnie,

Have you rolled the rear fender lip? Are you running air bags? What is the back spacing on the rear wheels? I thought that a 9.5" wide rim was really pushing the available room. Sounds like you got it right (as usual)!

Thanks for the info.

Conrad C.

I can never keep track of wheel back spacing. I'll have to dig in my notes for that one. They're Aluma Stars 2.0. I believe 5" on the bs.

The fender inner lip is cut and partially rolled. The tire does not fit into the wheel well. It's about even with the outer body skin with the old tire. It will protrude a bit with the new.

I use an air bag on the right side only. Latest pressure has been 32 psi.

Got the new AMS-1000 in the mail yesterday. Read the instructions. Seems easy enough. This is going to be different dealing with a boost controller that doesn't use manifold pressure feedback for control.

did somebody say "match race" in the near future? ;) :D
That's a monster of a turbo!

Scott Wle

did somebody say "match race" in the near future? ;) :D
That's a monster of a turbo!

Scott Wle

Who said that?! Who said that?!

Crymany. I'd have to do something serious about tire to hope to keep up with you. Not to mention, grow some to use the nitrous the whole pass. ;)

I've heard it through the grapevine that you've finally picked out a new turbo. Yipes! I guess it's top secret stuff though, right? :cool:

Who said that?! Who said that?!

Crymany. I'd have to do something serious about tire to hope to keep up with you. Not to mention, grow some to use the nitrous the whole pass. ;)

I've heard it through the grapevine that you've finally picked out a new turbo. Yipes! I guess it's top secret stuff though, right? :cool:

You wouldn't have tire problems if you didn't make so much HP!:eek: Yes, I picked out a new turbo. I figured if the 3 bolt 70mm did 130 in the 1/8, what will a t-4 80mm do.. 140?:confused: Nemesis, no. Just a fellow racer would enjoys pushing the envelope a little;) Can't wait to see that 91x on a pro tree;)

Scott Wile

gonna MAKE it fit Don?

Attachments

• new_turbo1.jpg
    new_turbo1.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 423
Holy Freaking Crop Duster!!!:eek: (jaw laying on the floor between my bare feet)

I think I'll be making it fit, Ummm.... HALFWAY THROUGH THE RADIATOR!!! OOOMMMGGG!!!

that's actually a pic of a FI-X 98mm, but i bet yours uses the same housing:biggrin:

Attachments

• new_turbo2.jpg
    new_turbo2.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 425
I think you're right. :(

Those wouldn't happen to be those new half cans of soda?

Now that's a real TURBO!
Conrad C.

Tim (the Tool Man) Taylor would be impressed.

Back