You can type here any text you want

Air Compressor's for house/garage?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87chrisss

BLUBYU
I have to be honest buying a Air compressor is harder than talking to a women about a turbo buick. So many options oil/ oiless wtf? what do you guy's use around the garage/house i see a few good and cheap ones on Harbor Freight .com but i dont want to buy something that's going to chit on me after a week? Found a nice Dewalt Emglo compressor on local Craigslist looks old but Dewalt is a good quality brand well not sure what to do yet. Any Good compressor's / good price you guys might want to share your experience let me know what you have! I need to buy one by tomorrow!!

I BOUGHT A OIL LESS CRAFTSMAN 30 GALLON ABOUT 5 HP AND HAVE PROBABLY STRIPPED 250 OR MORE CARS WITH IT.I HAVE HAD IT ABOUT 10 YEARS NOW GIVE OR TAKE. I USE MY AIR CHISEL AND IMPACT GUN AND THATS ABOUT I DO WITH IT. YES SOMETIMES I NEED TO WAIT FOR IT TO CATCH UP. IT WAS ONLY ABOUT $225 NEW/USED BACK THEN. IF IT BLEW UP TODAY I WOULD BUY ANOTHER. ITS 110 VOLT AND CAN USE IT ANYWHERE AND ITS PORTABLE

oil less compressors are loud and not as efficient as an oiled compressor...

get the biggest compressor with the highest ratings that you can afford, wire in a good plug for it, and put it as far away from the house as you can get it- some people build a little sound proof "shed" off the side of their garage to better isolate the noise...
just check the filter, drain the water, and keep the oil level up and a good one will last forever.

I got a little $99 Husky 8 gal oiled for the house just to air tires, dry stuff, kids toys etc. I take it to the track too since its little and has enough reserve to not need to be plugged in if I need to adjust tire pressures.

d5bb5d39-631d-42ab-adaa-f9d70958da88_300.jpg

i have used all types of compressors, the oil-less/direct drive stuff is home owner junk. Fill up a basketball and occasional car tire.
Id go belt driven any day of the year.
I just got a new 30 Gallon Craftman Professional and it works great and its pretty quiet.

Wow that husky one is nice didn't see that one, really just need something to fill tires blow air and be a little all around compressor.. im also going to use it to change my valve springs to fill the cylinder i just want something decent and portable not huge.

I got a little $99 Husky 8 gal oiled for the house just to air tires, dry stuff, kids toys etc. I take it to the track too since its little and has enough reserve to not need to be plugged in if I need to adjust tire pressures.

d5bb5d39-631d-42ab-adaa-f9d70958da88_300.jpg

Home depot?? Sears?

I Have the harbor frieght 5 hp 100 gallon or so unit, payed 6 for it new about 5 years ago......... has been a excellent trooper since then. never had a problem with it.

No one has ever regretted buying an air compressor that's too large. I killed an oilless craftsman trying to spray, run a blaster and various other things. (Blew 3 headgaskets)

I then bought this. THe biggest thing I could get that didn't run on 3 phase.

ShopAir_20090114_002.jpg

Get a oiled compressor as big as you can afford.

I used a 13 gallon compressor for about 10 years, then upgraded to an Ingersoll Rand 80 gallon 2-stage compressor and love it. One of the best investments I've made in the garage. I never wait for air, even when I use the DA. TSC sells them pretty reasonably, plus you can catch them with a 10-15% off sale every so often.

I have a 30 gallon kobalt that has done pretty good. I put it through hell too.

Attachments

• image-805037545.jpg
    image-805037545.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 99
Don't buy an oilless regardless of how cheap it is. Pay a little extra for the oiled version. I have a craftsman professional 33 gallon oilless in the shed and hated it from day one. Should've returned it. I now have a huge 80 gallon 7hp 2 stage 175 psi one that is way more than I need, but I wouldn't trade it for anything else in my shop.

4thsies on "don't buy an oil-less compressor". VERY loud and always trying to keep up with air tools, blast cab, etc. Go with a Single phase, 2 stage compressor, with as big as tank as you can afford. I'd try and aim for 5-7.5hp and 15+cfm at 90psi for a good all around do-it-all compressor. I'm in the process of upgrading compressors now also. I'm going to buy a Ingersoll Rand from Tractor Supply Co. when I find a coupon or they go on sale. It will last me the rest of my wrenching life and then some. Good luck!

I got a Crapsman vertical compressor its good for turning nuts and bolts. But you need to go big if your thing about using it for body work. Grinding, sanding, or Painting. It has worked fine for the past 3yrs Ive owned it. the only thing I recomend on any comressor is that you go out and replace the drain valve ASAP. the ones that come with the compressors are garbage. Get some brass connectors and a ball valve it will last the life of the compressor.

Craftsmen gets my vote. (maybe the Craftsmen of old anyway).My 2.hp. 20 gallon Craftsmen has been in service to me and my family since 1986.. Quality that was? Or is?

Do lots of research first!! But I totally agree with the above - spend more and don't get an oil-less, go big as you can, and make sure it will provide enough cfm for what tools you are wanting to run. I spent a bunch on mine a few months back but it should last forever

Attachments

• comp1.JPG
    comp1.JPG
    242.5 KB · Views: 102
And when comparing CFM look at the pressure. 10 CFM at 150 PSI is not the same as 10 CFM at 90 PSI

Dont get an oil-less compressor. I have a black max 7 hp 60gallon from sams club that I got in 92 and it still is going .It started leaking a little oil this last year. We used a rotary Atlas-copco at Carmax and let me tell you.That thing is quiet. has a built in drier.
Its 40hp and has a 300 gallon tank . I was going to get one but the guy said they are all three phase and they are like 25k so I wont be getting one of those

Back