Alky Control Or E85?

One was still on stock fuel lines, the other two were not.

Mine still has stock fuel lines!

well what are your "goals" as far as times or are you goin to be one that drives around with 10#s of boost to be xtra safe :p:biggrin:

Actually your 100% correct as of now!!:biggrin:

No I'm working on it, just put a 9" in the car and a Denny's 3.5" Nitrous shaft, next is the fuel system. The stock lines and a Walboro 340 just wont cut it with the 160's and 249ci!!!:eek:

The one other guy with a Stage motor and stock lines is running a 274ci off center, GN1 heads, 70mm turbo, double pumper and 96lb injectors at 18psi
and is already seeing 89% duty cycles. I told him it's time to feed that beast of a motor with new fuel lines! Nice guy to talk with. I beleive his name is Roger.

Here's the guys thread from the E85 section with no intercooler, seems crazy but the E85 and Alky combo works!
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/e8...ched-fmic-e85-pre-post-alky-setup-inside.html

I'm kinda partial to my automatic switching dual fuel system I made for my car. It simply works.

Ya ya ya...alcohol provides cooling for better horsepower....well....all I have to do is turn the boost up on my C16 and now I've equaled my HP gain to your HP gain....now, how are alky guys gonna beat that when you can't turn yours up anymore due to detonation? :p

Here we go again...

Alky simply works.

Do the alky kit and be done with it!

I remember it like yesterday....

Got off work at 2:30, made it home at 3. Nice size brown box waiting for me in the corner of the porch. Go to the garage, lay it all out, skim throught the photos and instructions. Install all the parts wire it all up and put the instructions on the front seat.

Go back in the house, grab my book bag and some water. 10 minutes to spare, great, drive to the Menards a mile away and grab a gallon of denatured alcohol from the paint department. Pop the hood in the parking lot pour it all in.

5pm...heading to class, skimming through the tuning tips and screwing on the boost knob at every light. By now I had made it into the Chicago O' Hare Airport roads and can do some WOT 3rd gear hits. 25psi no knock. Pull into the parking lot of the school, park and walk to class a bit early grinning ear to ear.

YEP! That Simple for some of us, 4 years, and one alky pump later....still loving my Methanol injetion kit from Razor, and Turbo Tweak chip.

Dual fuel system...Total cost...Total labor time...:wink::eek:
E85 injector swap cost... fuel pump cost.... fuel line cost...install time...:wink::eek:

Looks like the only faster and cheaper option would have been a full tank of C-16.:tongue:

I thought the 120s were hi z and didn't require a modded ECM, therefore you will be ahead another $200. In the black!

Dual fuel system...Total cost...Total labor time...:wink::eek:
E85 injector swap cost... fuel pump cost.... fuel line cost...install time...:wink::eek:

Now wait a minute, one thing that I'd like to make clear here to everyone.

IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO CHANGE YOUR FUEL LINES! Most people that are running alky kits also have a good pump in the tank that is capable to put a GN in the low 11's with stock lines on E85. Eric's (TurboTweak) website's even claiming that 60lb injectors will get to low 11's (or even faster)!!!

So with that said, some people may already have 60# injectors and a decent pump. So a simple chip change and their done!

So this statement could be redone as this:

Dual fuel system(ALKY)...Total cost...Total labor time...:wink::eek:
E85 ... chip...install time...:wink::eek: low 11's

Here we go again...

Alky simply works.

Yes it does, BUT...if it works so well, why doesn't the super fast guys (170mph) run 93 octane and alky? Razor already stated the best time was only in the lower 140's. I believe I've seen TR's run way faster than that on race fuel. Until someone goes faster than 143mph with 93 and alky it isn't the best fuel...now is it?

To Grumpy,

This thread is about the best type of fuel, not about how my car compares to your car. But, if you want to compare my car to your car...I was running mid 6's at 107mph in the 8th mile back in the late 90's...without ANYONE's help. I had no internet and I knew no one personally that I got my "go fast" information from...I done it all on my own. Can you say you've done the same thing with your car? If you can...then good for you.:smile: But you sure do post a lot about Russ doing this-n-that...which is fine. He probably does performance tuning for a living...I don't.:p

Yes it does, BUT...if it works so well, why doesn't the super fast guys (170mph) run 93 octane and alky? Razor already stated the best time was only in the lower 140's. I believe I've seen TR's run way faster than that on race fuel. Until someone goes faster than 143mph with 93 and alky it isn't the best fuel...now is it?

To Grumpy,

This thread is about the best type of fuel, not about how my car compares to your car. But, if you want to compare my car to your car...I was running mid 6's at 107mph in the 8th mile back in the late 90's...without ANYONE's help. I had no internet and I knew no one personally that I got my "go fast" information from...I done it all on my own. Can you say you've done the same thing with your car? If you can...then good for you.:smile: But you sure do post a lot about Russ doing this-n-that...which is fine. He probably does performance tuning for a living...I don't.:p

Intersting points.

How many 170/Super fast guys you see running on the street with E85 in the Buick world?

Intersting points.

How many 170/Super fast guys you see running on the street with E85 in the Buick world?

You obviously have an axe to grind but you question is not relevant to Turbo1dr because he runs C16--he stated that. He's not pro E85 or pro alky--he is pro race gas and his points are 100% valid--the fastest forced induction cars run race gas. There are plenty of fast cars on E85 but I am unsure of how many Fast Buicks but I am sure there will be more in time. It took years after alky came on the scene before there was a 9 second pass in a Buick and I am sure it will take some time before E85 catches up. I don't think it is a question of if it is possible it is more of a question of when someone will decide to do it and want to spend the money.

EDIT: I knew E85 had potential but I really had not researched it very far but since this discussion came up I took a few minutes and looked around on line and I saw this vid and I thought it was pretty impressive. Its a 2.0 liter EVO on E85 running high 8's with 45 PSI of boost! I am sure there are faster cars on E85 but I thought for a 2.0 this think is cooking!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuT3P5Sb2us&feature=related

To Grumpy,

Can you say you've done the same thing with your car? If you can...then good for you.:smile: But you sure do post a lot about Russ doing this-n-that...which is fine. He probably does performance tuning for a living...I don't.:p

ya I did my own stuff.. Been in Buicks since 86 .. worked Buicks as a JOB till the early 2000/2001:eek:.. Been around the block once or twice.:p Russ does NOT do "tuning" for a living !! I taught him some bad "attitudes" that he has probably learned to well :eek: Melissa, Russ and I just have her car and the RX7. All the other fleet of cars are gone. Makes life a lot easier .. Oh I am lazy and old so Russ does take up the slack.. If he doesn't Melissa will kick his ass :eek::biggrin:
Ok back on track.. I interpreted this thread as a street car thread . Thats why I like the pump gas and Alky.. KISS (keep it simple stupid) . Alky is very easy to use and does not really use that much Meth. I mean we can drive our car anywhere and everywhere without using any meth.. We don't practice goin down the highway @ 140 . :p I think on one hell day we may have gone threw a gallon..
E85 is new to me.. Only 1 place 20 miles from us that has it. BUT I do what the threads to see how guys are doin with it. :cool:

Geez... one does not have to be anti-alky in order to be pro-E85.
:cool:

Consider the octane...
E85 is about 105
Methanol is about 120
They seem to mix and play extremely well together, judging by the extreme ease of tuning the combo, compared to gas and alky.

Maybe a poll would have been a better idea. Pro's and con's for both. Thing is, if you plan to build it, you have to understand the pros and cons.

Maybe a poll would have been a better idea.

nah !! Its to hot to go out racing so we need entertainment to keep us inside with the AC :biggrin: I think the E85 is goin to appeal to the mid country guys that have stations everywhere. to me race gas is out of the question. Not goin to spend $50/$75 anyway every time we are goin to race .

Maybe a poll would have been a better idea. Pro's and con's for both. Thing is, if you plan to build it, you have to understand the pros and cons.

100% agree! This statement is the best thing posted in this thread. There are pro's and con's to each fuel. You have to understand them inside and out to know how to tune with them in your car.

That is why I want people to know the truth about E85 instead of myths about it.

Both fuels have ups and downs.

The one thing I want people to think about is that we need to be open to new fuels in todays society. Just as it was stated earlier, people had a problem with alky kits when they first came out and many other parts that have made our cars really really fast!

nah !! Its to hot to go out racing so we need entertainment to keep us inside with the AC :biggrin: I think the E85 is goin to appeal to the mid country guys that have stations everywhere. to me race gas is out of the question. Not goin to spend $50/$75 anyway every time we are goin to race .

How much is race gas per gallon anymore? I remember buying for my four wheeler as a teenager for $2.75 a gallon!:eek: