You can type here any text you want

Alt only pics

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Otto J

I am tossing up the idea of losing my Power steering and am running a Meziere water pump, SO i need to install the alt only.
Can anyone shoot me some pics if they have this setup
Thanks

Im doing the same thing for my hybrid stage engine. electric pump and alt only. Im going to try and use the champions alt bracket and a really short belt to the crank.

Thanks Kendall, But with the electric water pump, i dont think the bracket would work,Not sure it would tension.
I got a pick from someone wiith the most simple idea that will work great.
THanks

I've mocked up the Champion alt only bracket with the Meziere pump and as it is with the shortest serp belt available it comes just short of tensioning. If you shorten up the adjuster it'll work.

I don't have any pictures (the car has been apart for the last 2 years) but I ran the electric water pump, the alt, belt tensioner and the AC delete pulley and no PS pump without any belt problems, it's seen 7grand. This is using the stock acc bracket.

9sec.

what crank pulley are you using with the electric water pump?

The one i got from you i believe.
Didnt we swap pulleys a few months back?

if you use solid mounts, you can hang the alternator using a long bolt and spacer in the bottom hole of the head and fabricate a bracket off the fram rail with a slot in it to adjust belt tension and just use a real short serpentine belt

Yes we did, forgot about that. :eek:

Stock AC bracket, stock tensioner, Stock crank pulley, AC delete pulley, 2 pieces of 1"X1/4" flat stock and a short belt will work on stock style heads or S2 heads with single turbo ATR headers.

Keep it simple (and cheap) whenever possible!

Dave

So your the one who sent the pics, THanks again, i am most likely doing it that way,Was just seeing if there was an easy (also cheap) way to lower it out of the way

Why couldnt you just run the champion alt only bracket and run the belt on the alt and crank only. That would be really clean. i thought about putting my alt on the flexplate or driveshaft to leave the entire front of the heads/engine clean. In the end it was too much BS to fab.

Mounting the alternator lower would definitely clean up the engine. When I have the time, I'd like to fab up a bracket and tensioner, But for quick and easy and cheap...the stock stuff works.

Dave

Dave i got my non p/s stuff coming
What belt did you use?
k060505? looks to be right
I am tossing up that champion has an alt only bracket
i see

I'll have to look to see which belt I got. I took the old belt, cut it , overlapped it, and vice gripped clamped it together as a mock up.
Adjust the belt length to give you enough travel in the tensioner and mark it. I then took the belt to my parts counter guy and he set me up with a perfect fit. I'll see if I kept the belt sleeve in my tool box.

Dave

Sorry, I went and looked......no luck. Maybe out in the trailer buried under snow.

DR

Dave i used a k060500 belt, it fits with a little force to get it on,But i felt that the k060505 would have stretched and been a bit short

The nice thing about my setup is that you can just vary the length of the alternator support by drilling another hole in the bracket to use a shorter or longer belt. Cheap is GOOD!

DR

I actually used all the factory alt brackets and the a/c one, Just cut off the extra leg,I still run champion heads,You couldnt do it with stage2 heads i believe,as the factory rear bracket wouldnt attach the the header anymore

Back