Aluminum bumper supports

Super6

I searched this and couldn't come up with a precise answer so i was wondering if anyone knew the difference in weight from the steel to aluminum front and back. I have both front and back aluminum supports and i am taking off the steel ones. I took my back bumper off and seem like the whole car came up an inch or two in the back. :eek: thanks for the help guys.................Bob:)

Thanks BuickGn

Ok that's got the front bumper support. You save right at 17 lbs with the aluminum front support from the steel support. I agree with you. I am sure you save more in the rear with the aluminum support. Anyone weighed the back? thanks again Buickgn:)

Re: Thanks BuickGn

Originally posted by Super6
Ok that's got the front bumper support. You save right at 17 lbs with the aluminum front support from the steel support. I agree with you. I am sure you save more in the rear with the aluminum support. Anyone weighed the back? thanks again Buickgn:)

The rear support in steel weighs 30 pounds. the alum one is 10#'s.

I weighed my supports and they both came in at 12.5 lbs each. This was with a regular weight scale. HTH.

I found something even better:) I found out the GM had brackets that bolted the front bumper directly to the bumper shocks and you REMOVE the inner supports completely:) Im taking 27 lbs offa my front end..

Originally posted by FlyinGN
I found something even better:) I found out the GM had brackets that bolted the front bumper directly to the bumper shocks and you REMOVE the inner supports completely:) Im taking 27 lbs offa my front end..

The bumper bracket P/N's are:

$10.12 each on October 8, 1998 From Dal back when he worked for Lambert Buick, now with Vandevere Olds.

With these, you save about 6lbs over the aluminun supports/hardware, but you give up a little front end crash damage resistance (bad if your wife or daughter drives the car)

no, this is not what Im talking about.. Those are (I believe) what take the place of the shocks. With these brackets, the shocks are still in place but the inner renforcement is removed. This bracket is just a way to mount the shocks to the bumper without the heavy inner supports (renforcements)

Originally posted by UNGN

The bumper bracket P/N's are:

$10.12 each on October 8, 1998 From Dal back when he worked for Lambert Buick, now with Vandevere Olds.

With these, you save about 6lbs over the aluminun supports/hardware, but you give up a little front end crash damage resistance (bad if your wife or daughter drives the car)

Those are the brackets. I have them on my car and they work great. If you hit something with the bumper, though, the bumper buckles in the center (no support) even though the shocks are still in place. It doesn't really make the car less safe, but a minor accident will cause a lot more damage to the header panel/grill, due to the buckling front bumper.

ahhh I understand. Thanks.. I was under the impression they were discontinued tho.. Do u know?

I would say that is very likely they are discontinued, but probably still available through Partsvoice

UNGN

Does each part number include a set for the frt/back or you have to by 2 of each.

Front right and front left.

For the back, take a hacksaw to a factory steel support.

Originally posted by Steve Wood
Stacker2 would be better for you and the car!

If stacker2 could guarantee I'd lose 26lbs for only two sets of bench pressing the rear bumper and four sets of hacksaw rows, I'd go that route. This method is still way safer for you and your car than using Fiberglass bumpers on the street.

I haven't done the rear bumper yet (I have a factory Al support), but when I put in a roll bar, I'll be looking for all the weight reduction I can find, even the "good" weight behind the rear axle.

Originally posted by UNGN

If stacker2 could guarantee I'd lose 26lbs for only two sets of bench pressing the rear bumper and four sets of hacksaw rows, I'd go that route. This method is still way safer for you and your car than using Fiberglass bumpers on the street.

I haven't done the rear bumper yet (I have a factory Al support), but when I put in a roll bar, I'll be looking for all the weight reduction I can find, even the "good" weight behind the rear axle.

I agree...except that I would not dare do it on the street here....too hard to find new front end parts...when I move to the farm, maybe...

thanks

Thank all of you for answering my questions. those cut down brackets ya'll are talking about ,i have seen on ebay. Some guy has been sell the heck out of them:D Might want to check him out. I thought about them but i wanted the full bracket because i have some bad luck sometimes:eek: Well thanks again.........:)