You can type here any text you want

aluminum debris

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

three turbos

NUNLKME
So im in the middle of replaceing my rear main seal on my 110,000 tr as i pull the pan i found No sludge build up at all very clean.:D:D However i did see a few piece of aluminum shaveings if you will.:frown: Car runs great good oil pressure,main beraing looks good can see nothing wrong with the lower skirts of the pistons from what i can see. This motor has never had the heads or intake off I can tell the timeing chain is definitely loose. My question is could it it be slapping the timeing cover a bit and causing theses pieces or oil pump maybe?The car uses no oil at all and all my numbers per scan master are good,this is not comeing out for a rebuild til fall i will just have to baby it i guess just looking for some ideas from you guys. thanks ,Eric

Could be timing chain hitting (on initial install if it is a dbl. roller) the little cast in tab on the dist./cam sensor boss. I grind that boss down when installing a double roller chain. It could also be the residual aluminum from the original nylon/aluminum cam gear. Buy an aluminum magnet and install it in your oil pan drain plug. (if you can find one, let me know, as my local "Magnets-R-Us" has had the aluminum magnets on back order for the last year or so.);):biggrin:

Another possibility is if the engine had been bored and new pistons installed, if they didn't radius the lower edge of the bore, it can scrape aluminum off the piston on the up stroke like a knife blade. (common mistake made by alot of shops)

As for the double roller no,this is a bone stock motor as for the timeing gear I have never had one THESE motors apart before and your saying the gears are aluminum and fiber huh?Iknew the fiber but not the aluminum.

Aulimnum debris

I have been prolonging the cam change in fear it will start sucking oil. Was going to do both at the same time (cam and chain) but kinda hard to justify all that work for a 110,000 mile motor ya know. Was leaning for the entire thing ya know.

cam change

just curious why would a cam change make a engine start sucking oil ? been around the world three times two world fairs ans a hog calling contest and never heard that before.

aluminum shaveings

I was told that by an engine builder/machine shop not sure myself maybe the fact that the valves may be staying open longer than before I realy dont have a clear answere for you.:rolleyes: Wish I new for sure cause I may just do the cam and chain then and get some more life out it.Im sure by putting a roller in it and a fresh chain it would realy wake up.Anybody else able to shed any light on this? Also can someone tell me are the little slashes on the crank where the rear main would ride is this to help keep it lubed a type of oiling system and Im assuming this will not affect my new seal (neoprene) Im installing correct?

Check your thrust bearing on the trust surface. If its good then clean her up and run it until it gives you a problem...200k+ not an issue.:smile:

cam

Wasn't being a smart ass.It's just I'm been around cars,machine shops,engine building and that sort of stuff my whole life.and I've swapped cams on many used engines high and low mileage and never heard that,I have heard and experienced doing valve jobs on high mileage engine can cause more oil consummation.

Yeah me to on the whole life thing,maybe he was trying to drum up some businss!I could just wait til end of season do the chain and a cam and springs and do some further investigating while in the tear down. Anyone got any info. on them slash marks on the crank where the seal rides?

SLASH MARKS as you call them are know as a knurl and they act as a pump to pump back oil into oil pan so rear main will not leak...the seal needs some oil or it will burn our.do a search on google

Back