Aluminum Grand National Rims

Great work with the aluminum GN rims, but I'm drooling over the possibility of 17 or 18" GNX wheels!! :D

Caps should be able to be used from what we talked about. The issue of lugs came up. Worst case scenario it will be a new round cap installed from the back to look factory.

We are going to do all 15x7 with 3" back spacing. Instead of the 3.5. This will allow us to modify them into 4" back spacing & get 15 x 8".

These are our 2 most popular sellers.
Normally we get all 7"
The 2nd most popular is 7" front & 8" rear.
3rd is 8" all the way around.
Next casting we do after these will be 15 x 8.5 & that will allow is to go to 9".

I doubt we will ever do a 10" We never sold a whole bunch of these because of the internet saying it can not be done.I think we sold a total of 60 of these over the years, me having 6 of them.

Sounds good Bri. Will 15X10 or 12 be available thru special order? Im sure they would be expensive but would they be available is someone wanted to spend the extra money?

I like the installation of the cap from the rear idea. Atleast they won't fall out.

X4! Sounds sweet

I was just speaking with a GNX owner who is ordering a set of rears to replace his factory rims. He already bought the fronts. He asked would we be doing 17' or 18". My response is it will depend on the tire market 2 years ago there were alot of 16" tire options. In a year or so there may be more 17 or 18" Tire options we're not sure.

I do think we will be doing 17 or 18 x 9.5" we will just have to cut down to 8.5" for the fronts.

I guess as long as the centers look correct and center caps are available one could always have them widened on their own. I had my GNX style Aluminum rims widned about 7 years ago.

I was just speaking with a GNX owner who is ordering a set of rears to replace his factory rims. He already bought the fronts. He asked would we be doing 17' or 18". My response is it will depend on the tire market 2 years ago there were alot of 16" tire options. In a year or so there may be more 17 or 18" Tire options we're not sure.

I do think we will be doing 17 or 18 x 9.5" we will just have to cut down to 8.5" for the fronts.

I'd say it's a safe bet that as time goes on it will be much easier to find 17" or 18" tires than 16".

17x9.5" sounds awesome!

I don't think you'll have any problem selling the GN wheels, besides to GN owners, I don't know how many El Caminos I have seen with GN wheels.

Oh.... is it too early to ask for T Type wheels in 17"?:wink: I never cared for them much until I got my T Type and then they grew on me.

Oh.... is it too early to ask for T Type wheels in 17"?:wink: I never cared for them much until I got my T Type and then they grew on me.

That would be kool I agree. T-Type aluminum wheels 15x10. That would be the ultimate sleeper look. They do kinda grow on ya when your lookin for that nostalgic look. I was going to entertain a set for for my Turbo-T before I sold it.

That would be kool I agree. T-Type aluminum wheels 15x10. That would be the ultimate sleeper look. They do kinda grow on ya when your lookin for that nostalgic look. I was going to entertain a set for for my Turbo-T before I sold it.

I have a set of 15 x 9.5 on one of my 86 wh-1's now. Looks pretty sweet. Used an old set of 8.5" Vector wheels & added an inch to the back of the rim.
You can see the weld in the back of the 1 rim. I have better pics installed This was just easier to find ;)

They are actually working on the GN wheels right now as far as what they will need for a center section. We sent them a complete wheel & just the center section cut out.

As far as the 18" GNX wheels the centers are being sent off. Building them in 17" then can modify with a 1/2" band to make them into 18". We have done a few 17" already with a 1/2" band around the 16". Just pretty costly & labor intensive. It adds about $100 to each 16" rim. Easier to make the center 1/2" bigger not so easy to cut it down 1/2".

Attachments

• 86 wh-1 005.jpg
    86 wh-1 005.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 2,281
If you made an 18" GNX wheel, hey would definately sell. It's not 1986 anymore, people like bigger wheels now a days. Thats a fact. 16's were cool 12 years ago. Plane and simple.

If you made an 18" GNX wheel, hey would definately sell. It's not 1986 anymore, people like bigger wheels now a days. Thats a fact. 16's were cool 12 years ago. Plane and simple.

As much as I would like to disagree with you I think your probably right about that. It seems that a lot of members are wanting the slightly larger rims these days. There not for me but I think the market for them is steadily growing and many members are requesting them.

I will admit that I really enjoy watching that show on the speed channel called "Lowriders" with Vida Guerra...;) The cars they build are just nutz. Not really my thing but I appreciate the work (And Vida of course:cool:).

It is certainly easier to find a good set of disc brakes with the larger wheels as well.

As much as I would like to disagree with you I think your probably right about that. It seems that a lot of members are wanting the slightly larger rims these days. There not for me but I think the market for them is steadily growing and many members are requesting them.

I will admit that I really enjoy watching that show on the speed channel called "Lowriders" with Vida Guerra...;) The cars they build are just nutz. Not really my thing but I appreciate the work (And Vida of course:cool:).

It is certainly easier to find a good set of disc brakes with the larger wheels as well.

Yep, I'm running 18's with 13" rotors. That low rider show is awesome! I would like to do a low rider GN clone after the Turbo LT1 clone is done. I plan to do black 13" spokes with AirRide.

Yep, I'm running 18's with 13" rotors. That low rider show is awesome! I would like to do a low rider GN clone after the Turbo LT1 clone is done. I plan to do black 13" spokes with AirRide.

Yea when I was looking for a set of good street brakes for my now sold car it would have been simple if I had 17's. And with all the newer DR's sizes coming out I would be more open to a set for my next car. Would still want a set of 15's but I could see having another set of 17's maybe.

Yea that show has some sick rides. Guys think they spend money on TB's? Those guys must dump $100k into many of those. Some of them are pretty mean to. I know they have a different name for a lowrider that has a big motor and is more for the street then show but I cant recall what they call them.

I cant wait for the show to begin. Ahhhh.... Vida. Dam she is sexy!

Hey Brett, the word your lookingfor is LOWROD. I'm hoping they start making some skinnies in 17-18". I have the unfortunate problem of not being able to run skinnies on the front because of my brakes. The front wheels I have are heavy too. Luckily I have a set 15's that match my 18's for the strip on the rear. I will be running the LS1 rear brakes and you just have to grin one side of the caliper a little to make it work.