You can type here any text you want

An easy hood idea..looks great i think

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Dhos1

Self-tuning wanna-be
20160407_191630.jpg I got this idea from a member her Marygdad i think. Anyway, he removed his hood pad and it looked pretty damn good. I was hesitant at first due to thinking it would look like shit. It actually looked new under there. Makes a cleaner look I think. I am trying to find a good decal to put on the area in the middle...any ideas ..here are some pics

Attachments

• 20160407_191702.jpg
    20160407_191702.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 385
  • 20160407_191630.jpg
    20160407_191630.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 373
Stencil the Buick logo and lettering right on the underside. Hopefully TooFastForYou will chime in. Claude has a fiberglass hood that has it stenciled on it if my memory serves correct and it does look good. Course you are losing your underside heat protection and could damage the paint, especially above the turbo heat shield.

I may put some type of protection right above the turbo, but thats about it.

Let me know if the paint starts to bubble or peel. Im pretty sure the hood insulation deters a lot of the heat from underhood. I know my underhood temps get pretty hot. I know there was aftermarket hood insulator kit that bonded to the underhood frame and gave it a pretty cool look while protecting it from heat.

-aaron

Someone once told me that in case of an engine fire the plastic push pins will melt and the hood liner will fall, extinguishing the fire.

Someone once told me that in case of an engine fire the plastic push pins will melt and the hood liner will fall, extinguishing the fire.
Total bs.. mine burned like a sob

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

somewhere around here you can find someone that put a sheet of nicely prepared sheet metal as a hood insulator pad. My guess is since it's got some space between the hood skin and itself it will offer some type of heat protection to the hood skin. And it was a badass looking piece.

I have a glass hood and no insulator pad. Been that way for 15 years, no problem with heat damaging the paint.

I have a glass hood and no insulator pad. Been that way for 15 years, no problem with heat damaging the paint.
I don't think heat is an issue with glass hoods. Just metal.

I too, have had a glass hood for at least 19 years, and never a single blister from heat on any of my different turbo or engine configurations. Hot air set-up, 86-87 set-up, or twin turbo set-up.

It looks like there maybe room to slide some protection between hood and metal pad

Theres room to do alot. Im looking to fab up something, not sure what yet. Im also ginna go with a blanket as well

Back