Another 9 second Turbo Buick

Are you sure about that?I have seen multiple files by various tuners that are highly regarded in and out of the buick world and have seen that when a car is in tune it's in tune and can be done on multiple kind of systems.

Am I sure about what? I asked you if "you" had personal experience with tuning a XFI, and your talking about someone else's ability to tune a 9 second car using a stock ecu. No one questions that It can't be done, the question I'm asking you is to explain where the XFI lacks, to where the stock ecu is so much better in a 9 second Buick. Factual data please based on your own personal experience tuning with the XFI. If you have no personal experience, this isn't a true platform to discuss the values of each. Your basically saying "trust me" I have seen it, and I'm like..ok ......please explain the technical aspects to back your claim. This is nothing personal.

I will say that the chip cars seem to run more timing than what most tuners use in the xfi tunes. This is what I have seen.

. If you have no personal experience, t
I have a ton of personal experience tuning these cars and dont feel the need to give my resume but I've made 9 second power in the past with the stock ECU and know what it takes and i have also seen cars slow down/or run the same with aftermarket computer systems like an xfi and they feel powerless in making the car run and upset in making the purchase,then the hunt begins for a new supertuner.and I know it doesn't take long for guys that have an xfi to jump into a thread where there's a stock ecm 9 second combination and tell people how great an Xfi is.and yes I have played around with xfi and to be honest I feel there are better systems out there currently.

In your opinion, based on your experience, how much faster would it be with an aftermarket ecu?

There is no reason it wouldn't make 10% more power on a XFI ... again this Is if the guy is using the XFI to its potential and features ..
Remember .. the XFI is an enabler .. it can do things that a CHIP just cant .. the data acquisition ability alone will harness more gains .

when you start adding in all the costs of a chip setup .. the newer FAST units are just about the same .. and have far more ability for providing a path for more power gains and allowing
application of those gains in an efficient manner.

to answer your question .. in the hands of a good tuner with a XFI that car should go 138-139 all day with same boost.. then add in tuning refinements from data that can be acquired and you stretch the gap even more .. all while keeping system safety # 1

I have a ton of personal experience tuning these cars and dont feel the need to give my resume but I've made 9 second power in the past with the stock ECU and know what it takes and i have also seen cars slow down/or run the same with aftermarket computer systems like an xfi and they feel powerless in making the car run and upset in making the purchase,then the hunt begins for a new supertuner.and I know it doesn't take long for guys that have an xfi to jump into a thread where there's a stock ecm 9 second combination and tell people how great an Xfi is.and yes I have played around with xfi and to be honest I feel there are better systems out there currently.

Your too emotionally invested in this. I don't care to be right or wrong. I asked a simple question to see how you came to that conclusion, assuming you know the ins and outs of the XFI. Didn't ask for a resume. Maybe you see something I don't , hence the question. I don't post to be right or confrontational, don't have time for that.

There is no reason it wouldn't make 10% more power on a XFI ... again this Is if the guy is using the XFI to its potential and features ..
Remember .. the XFI is an enabler .. it can do things that a CHIP just cant .. the data acquisition ability alone will harness more gains .

when you start adding in all the costs of a chip setup .. the newer FAST units are just about the same .. and have far more ability for providing a path for more power gains and allowing
application of those gains in an efficient manner.

to answer your question .. in the hands of a good tuner with a XFI that car should go 138-139 all day with same boost.. then add in tuning refinements from data that can be acquired and you stretch the gap even more .. all while keeping system safety # 1

So you are saying he make about 60 - 70 more hp with the xfi?

Maybe it would run 8s:eek:

pushing there .. but I cant see why it couldn't clip 9.60's @ 138-139 on the same boost ..

and yes I agree .. there are systems WAY WAY superior to the XFI ..

I don't think anyone is bashing chips at all .. they work and for most cars it is adequate . but with the cost of new standalones .. you have to start asking .. ok why would I box myself in with a chip ? add up all the costs of a chip setup and new standalones .. kinda doesn't make sense anymore

Your too emotionally invested in this
No im not it's all good.there are just things I have seen that is more on the privileged side regarding tuning.there is a difference in power tunes and tunes given to others that just are basic tunes.

So you are saying he make about 60 - 70 more hp with the xfi?

that's what Im saying .. and before people go and just say NO WAY ... let me be clear .. THINK about what a XFI can do and what a CHIP can not do.

IF you tune AFR for 6 cyl based on AVERAGE .. how much are you leaving on the table ? .. how much variance do you have between cyl airflow ?
how more accurate can your tuning be from having vastly more data collection ability ? How much is freed up going SD ?

More important than just power.. its ABILITY to be closer to the actual operational variables of your ENTIRE setup ...

it ALLOWS the user to tailor HIS EXACT setup

No im not it's all good.there are just things I have seen that is more on the privileged side regarding tuning.there is a difference in power tunes and tunes given to others that just are basic tunes.

OF COURSE !!! the tuner will look at the guy that owns the car and evaluate just how much power and how far on the edge the tune can be .. if you know the guy is gonna beat it silly and just toss in 87 octane your gonna give him a tune he cant screw things up with ..
Is this right .. depends .. your protecting the guy from himself because he doesn't know any better .. more money than brains..

This is another area that XFI has more ability ... saving your tail :)

that's what Im saying .. and before people go and just say NO WAY ... let me be clear .. THINK about what a XFI can do and what a CHIP can not do.

IF you tune AFR for 6 cyl based on AVERAGE .. how much are you leaving on the table ? .. how much variance do you have between cyl airflow ?
how more accurate can your tuning be from having vastly more data collection ability ? How much is freed up going SD ?

More important than just power.. its ABILITY to be closer to the actual operational variables of your ENTIRE setup ...

it ALLOWS the user to tailor HIS EXACT setup
There are 8/9 sec chip cars that don't use individual cylinder correction and have a maf.i understand what's your saying but I will say it's not needed to make the power.its a nice feature to have if you know what your lean cylinders are and are monitoring more than just a wideband that looks at everything.you can make timing adjustments per cylinder but in the end you can only tune to your leanest one, pulling plugs is huge .inmo it's best to look to correct airflow through the motor,not just pull timing in certain cylinders.

Why are all the fastest TSO, TSM cars running stand alone systems like FAST, BIG STUFF etc and not chip with stock ECM. The main reason they can go anywhere dyno the car for the conditions and adjust the timing , fuel map etc and get very close to the A/F ratio they want. Chips work but most have to send it to someone to burn a chip and they are not in the same state and similar weather conditions. Stand alone systems give you more ability to tune your car it's just that simple.

The turbo buick is over 30 years old with their ECM, how far has computers come in 30 years? Do you really believe a 30 year old computer can have the speed and computing power of today's stand alone systems. There is no way the after market computers are better however the computer is only as smart as the person using it.