Anybody run 9's with a factory heads?

.......... what do you meen by you cant kkep the heads on????? do you meen you keep blowing head gaskets???? and if so, why??? to much psi???? leaning out..(not enought fuel?...) in just asking , im getting ready to start building my motor, and i just want to know what to buy before i start building it..... can any one tell me how do you get a stage1 or stage 2 out of a 3.8 stock block????? sorry i know this has nothing to do with the question in hand.....:biggrin:

Nope no blowing HG's, the car is running 790 O2's, Around 1620 EGT's, No knock @ 28psi with a 70GTQ 85. housing .The Iron heads just don't conform to the block like Aluminum Heads would. :confused:

Nope no blowing HG's, the car is running 790 O2's, Around 1620 EGT's, No knock @ 28psi with a 70GTQ 85. housing .The Iron heads just don't conform to the block like Aluminum Heads would. :confused:
aaaahhhhhh, i see..... i guess i hve to invest some money in some aluminum heads......thanks:biggrin:

aaaahhhhhh, i see..... i guess i hve to invest some money in some aluminum heads......thanks:biggrin:

Some guy's like Walt Judy have mastered the Iron heads with 9.60 passes. ;) That is just awesome!

My goal was to try and run 9's with A/C, Irons, and an ECM in a full weight car. But I'm just sick of the constant HG issues. There's not enough tracks around here to test & tune. When we all go out to a track around here which is few and far between, you want to run the car and have fun like "NORDY RACER". Not run the car a couple of times only to find out you need a re torque and have to wait 2 months for another 1/4 track date. Thats why I'm going to Alum Heads.

I have been using the RJC's They only last 4 passes then they start too lift w/ Irons. I have never blown an RJC but they do let Exhaust gasses enter the cooling system after continuous use.

I tried the stockers and they sealed the best but once I saw 4 on the knock it was all over.

Going with Alum Heads now. I'm O-ringing, and receiver-grooving while using SCE Titans.

Dammm :eek: what are you running to tune it ???? chip?? Fast ?? maybe use some JBweld on them :p

I have been using the RJC's They only last 4 passes then they start too lift w/ Irons. I have never blown an RJC but they do let Exhaust gasses enter the cooling system after continuous use.
At what mph did you start lifting the heads with zero KR? You mentioned 4* earlier. If there is any at that power level the heads will lift. I have my car dialed in to 126mph at 3600lbs on a set of thin RJC's and have ran it through 3rd gear at WOT at least 200 times since i put it together in early August. It has 2500 miles since then also. I have not had any KR even on 93 and 24.5 psi boost where i leave it all the time. There has not been one instance of even little compression in the cooling system. Are your combustion chambers pinned on the intake and exhaust side? Mine arent but i think it is a worthwhile investment for 130mph plus.

Dammm :eek: what are you running to tune it ???? chip?? Fast ?? maybe use some JBweld on them :p

A Turbo Tweak and all of this. LOL :tongue:

DSC01545.jpg

Some guy's like Walt Judy have mastered the Iron heads with 9.60 passes. ;) That is just awesome!

My goal was to try and run 9's with A/C, Irons, and an ECM in a full weight car. But I'm just sick of the constant HG issues. There's not enough tracks around here to test & tune. When we all go out to a track around here which is few and far between, you want to run the car and have fun like "NORDY RACER". Not run the car a couple of times only to find out you need a re torque and have to wait 2 months for another 1/4 track date. Thats why I'm going to Alum Heads.

I have never had a issue keeping down my irons before, and I was pushing 30psi through them with a loose converter. I don't believe changing to Aluminums is going to solve your sealing issue. I am not a fan of lockwiring the heads. Alot of problems can start with the lockwire in the head not conforming to the gasket properly and seeping out cylinder pressure. And where the center cylinders are on both sides of the motor looking from underneath the car you will see carbon blowing out the side of the gasket. I have had that issue before in the past with aluminums doing it the same way you explained (with M&A heads) and under 22psi it was a missle. Anywhere above that would lift the head and blow out the side. So I went back to the irons and ran bottom 10's. Now I use heads studs, Cometic gaskets, aluminum heads torqued to 70ft and ran 25 psi on my 9sec pass. I have run 30psi on a return trip to the track looking to better my et, but ended up snapping a rocker in the process. But no more problems sealing aluminum heads with 30psi after 2 and a half years of hard beatens. Just make sure both block and heads surface are flat and you torque them down with a accurate torque wrench.

Yeah,

It is alot of rpm but that's what it liked. Like i said i broke the block and now building a stage off center motor. I kinda stick around local, i don't go out of town too often, and there isint too many Turbo Buick racers up here in nor cal to hang around with, most guy's just cruise or do dyno runs i'm a track guy myself.

You're not alone brudda. :wink:

At what mph did you start lifting the heads with zero KR? You mentioned 4* earlier.
134MPH @ 28psi "4" 1/4 runs and the heads lift. :frown:
During this elimination round against Chris the heads lifted also :mad:

When I got back home I tried setting the world on fire with a GTQ-72 w/ 85. and new stock head gaskets. :rolleyes: The 3,500 "O" stall I have hated it. When that failed I put the 70-GTQ back on, the car came to life. While tuning the GTQ-70 with my old parameters I got 4* KR. :frown: stock HG's blew. I now have the motor apart, reason A: all the graphite from the stock HG in the pick up & B: Might as well check the motor while its out. ;)

Are your combustion chambers pinned on the intake and exhaust side?

Nope, but that does sound like a great idea. ;) I'll do that while the motor is apart.

I have never had a issue keeping down my irons before, and I was pushing 30psi through them with a loose converter. I don't believe changing to Aluminums is going to solve your sealing issue. I am not a fan of lockwiring the heads. Alot of problems can start with the lockwire in the head not conforming to the gasket properly and seeping out cylinder pressure. And where the center cylinders are on both sides of the motor looking from underneath the car you will see carbon blowing out the side of the gasket. I have had that issue before in the past with aluminums doing it the same way you explained (with M&A heads) and under 22psi it was a missle. Anywhere above that would lift the head and blow out the side. So I went back to the irons and ran bottom 10's. Now I use heads studs, Cometic gaskets, aluminum heads torqued to 70ft and ran 25 psi on my 9sec pass. I have run 30psi on a return trip to the track looking to better my et, but ended up snapping a rocker in the process. But no more problems sealing aluminum heads with 30psi after 2 and a half years of hard beatens. Just make sure both block and heads surface are flat and you torque them down with a accurate torque wrench.

I have the block, and heads at the machine shop. My custom SCE Titan gaskets will be arriving on Fri. from that point the machining of receiver groove and O-ringing will be done to match the HG's. This is the set-up TSM Dick K is running.