You can type here any text you want

Anyone Made Thier Own Headers (pics)

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

blackgn1

Set on TSM Boost
Anyone ever attempted to make thier own headers? Would like to see them.

There are several that have made their own headers on the board. Look in the fabrication section to see the ones DonWG made. I'm in the process of making a set now and will be posting them when I'm done. It's a total PITA if you don't have everything right and I would suggest that you do quite a bit of reading on it before attempting it. I did a ton of reading as well as asking a bunch of questions to those that have built them. I've even experimented with a few theories on the exhaust flow to see how well it would work.

Thanks Charlie. I'm too darn old to go back to school but I have decided to go back and take a certified welders class at night. Just because I always wanted too. I weld fairly good but I want to learn to be "real good". I thought this class would be a great opportunity to make my own set. I have two months to study before I even attempt to make the design. Thanks for the advice. I will for sure do alot of reading.

Your in TN aren't you? I'll trade you some header building lessons for some of those nice custom plug wires. :biggrin:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/fa...-stage-2-single-turbo-header-fabrication.html

In my opinion having the right tools makes building headers pretty easy. Stainless tube can be a bear to cut. I've used an abrasive chop saw in the past and I ended up with a lot of scrap tube. Now I have a metal cutting vertical bandsaw and a fine pitch carbon tooth blade I use to cut the tubing. Ask your teacher in the welding class to demonstrate or let you practice with a backpurge setup on tubing. That is shielding gas running through the inside of the tube while you weld. IMO this is a must for stainless. Some reccomend solarflux instead of backpurging, but I personally like backpurging.

Well I may be able to help you on the drivers side if you're interested. I've got a drivers side hooker that I was going to shorten which will make it more like a set of the older DS race headers. It give you a good base to make the crossover but you will need to do some mods. They are not stainless how ever. :(

the only suggestion I can offer is DO NOT think bigger is better!!!!!!
look at what everyone is using on street cars, NOT RACE CARS!,
primary tubes are either 1 1/2 or 1 5/8, you need velocity to spool up the turbo, and most are NOT spinning the motor beyond 6000-6500 rpm.
a large primary will make the car/ motor sluggish.

Thanks guys. I will take you all up on the offers. I saw the thread on using gas in the tubes. That's way past my skills at the present time. I have always welded just never been where I could take a class. There's just something about making your own parts that makes the car much more interesting. Thanks guys and any more information will be appreciated.

Be sure to bolt the header to an old head or a piece of channel iron when welding the tubes together where they merge, and when welding the collector on. I had the flange warp pretty bad on the first set of full length headers I ever built. It may not happen with the short primary tubes used on a Turbo V6, but I don't take that chance. Good luck with it.

You should start a thread in the how to section. I think it would be pretty cool to follow along as you do it.

Peter

Be sure to bolt the header to an old head or a piece of channel iron when welding the tubes together where they merge, and when welding the collector on. I had the flange warp pretty bad on the first set of full length headers I ever built. It may not happen with the short primary tubes used on a Turbo V6, but I don't take that chance. Good luck with it.

That is a very good point. They will warp if not bolted to a head and it is a pain to fix them again. :(

I guess my first attempt should be with steel instead of stainless. Cheaper for the novice. I could mock them up then if it is successful go to stainless. I can see from doing a little studing the crossover is where things get out of line. Should I attempt to get all the exhaust tubes the same lenght? Where's the best place to get the exhaust flange? I'm thinking 1 1/2" tubes.

RJC has them in stainless and carbon steel. Not very pricey either. if I remember right.

Back