Are Cobra Mustangs Supposed To Be Fast?

Red Regal T

I GUESS SOME ARE. I HEAR TALK ABOUT THEM ON THE BOARD EVERY NOW AND THEN LIKE THEY'RE DIFFERENT FROM REGULAR MUSTANGS....I DON'T KNOW. I WAS OUT TONITE, DRIVING RESPONSIBLY OF COURSE, CATCHING UP TO THIS "COBRA" CONVERTIBLE.......TOP DOWN, BACKWARD BASEBALL CAP W/ GIRLFRIEND. NICE LOOKING CAR AND THEY SOUND REAL NICE I MUST ADMIT. (NOT LIKE MY TTYPE......CAN'T HEAR ME...NO DRONE) ANYWAY, I CAN'T CATCH HIM AT A LIGHT (WOULD HAVE BEEN GREAT FUN:D ) BUT HAVE A COUPLE OPPORTUNITYS TO PUNCH FROM 50 MPH AND I JUST WALKED HIM IN THIRD GEAR BOTH TIMES, NO PROBLEM WITH MY STOCK TURBO AND 22#s OF BOOST.:cool:

The Cobra is basically an Mustang w/ an Independent Rear Suspension and some performance mods. I don't think the previous gens are too much more powerful than a GT, but the newer ones are getting a Supercharger and will put out 390 hp.

In the global scheme of things Cobra Mustangs are pretty fast. The convertibles are VERY heavy. If it was a '94-'95 Cobra...well...they're pretty slow.

I have a friend with a '97 Cobra...Vortech SC...etc. He runs 12.20s and drives it every day. So some are fast.

I've owned several Mustangs over the years, including a '69 Mach1, a '67 XR7 GT Cougar w/390, and the latest was a '94 GT. None of them could touch my '87 GN.

A common thing among a lot of the younger 'stang guys is to put Cobra badges on a regular GT....I've even seen Cobra badges on a V6 Mustang believe it or not. We called 'em FOBRA's (Fake Cobras)

IF THIS HELPS, IT DIDN'T ONLY HAVE COBRA BADGES, IT SAID COBRA IN BIG LETTERS ON THE BUMPER. I WOULD AGREE IT WASN'T A 12.20 SC CAR, BUT AM PRETTY SURE IT WAS THE NEWEST BODY STYLE. MY CAR RUNS AROUND 13.0 IN STREET TRIM WITH PUMP GAS.

Well John...Torque RULES on the street. The GN makes gobs of torques....at will. The DOHC Cobra engines make around 300hp, but at 6000 rpm. If the guy had the cajones to shove it down to 2nd or 3rd (which I doubt) it might have been closer....maybe.

Don't you love Turbo Buicks!!!!

I put the hurt on a white Cobra here about a year ago. The kid thought he would show an old Monte Carlo (w/ and "old" guy driving) how to lay it down. He rolled down the window and asked if I wanted to go......Sure I said....I told him to leave when he wanted and I'd "catch" up. I was 8-10 car lengths ahead of him before I reached 85mph.

I slowed (to end the bloodshed), and he caught back up and passed me. I followed him back to town and he flagged me over to a local convenience store. "What the H*** kinda car is that mister" Well kid, you just got beat by a 15yr old car with a six cylinder. I popped the hood and the look on his face was priceless.

My wife teaches at the High School in town. She told me recently that most of the conversations she has with the male students involve my car. I'm a legend in my own mind!!!!

Later,
John

Originally posted by OKTurbo
Actually Konz....the biggest difference is the DOHC engine.

Can you tell I'm not really a Mustang guy :) I knew I was missing some (or many) things.

'93 Cobra-Fox body style-235 h.p factory 5.0L, IRS

'94-'95-SN95 body style, horizontal lines on the taillights, bumper on '94 said "MUSTANG", bumper on '95 said "COBRA". underrated 235 h.p 5.0L engine, IRS

'96-'98-SN95 body, vertical tail lights, bumper said "COBRA", not sure on the h.p rating, I think 265 (?), DOHC 4.6 Liter, LOVES to be blown..IRS

'99-2002, new body style 320 (I think) h.p DOHC 4.6 liter, also loves to be blown, mid 13 second car, I've seen a stock one hit 13.2, if that helps any....IRS

Next year, look out for 390 h.p, FINALLY ford did something right...

Basically, Cobras were more of a handling car than a straight line car... Still, great kill.....!!! Verts are a lot heavier, though, so a newer vert would prolly run around 13.8-14.2-ish, depending on driver. from a roll, you beat a 13.8 second car, I'd say.....

Red Regal T - Sounds like you had some fun 50 MPH pulls. :) Side note; caps man, gotta watch 'em otherwise people think your shouting.

70Nova355 - I thought IRS didn't show up until 99 with the new body style? I don't recall an IRS option in 1993 first gen.

Originally posted by OKTurbo
Well John...Torque RULES on the street

Really? Wow! You must have good tires then.

I have always been under the impresion that HP rules the street and Troque rules the drag strip. I can't seen to lauch good with anything thats not idle. Even then, I still blow them away.

I'm I missing something.

Well Turbojorge, why do you think the 87 GN was (and still is) so quick. It wasn't because of the (rated) 245hp....it was the (rated) 355 lb-ft of torque at 2000 rpms.

Yeah....I can roast the tires at will. You have to pedal it on the street. HP helps with the mph....there aren't too many times (never) I get going 100mph. Stop light to Stop light it's the torque that's accelerating you. It's the torque that sucks you back in the seat.

HP = Torque * RPM / 5,252

I used to have a 96' Cobra. The 96'-98' made 305horsies. In stock trim with a decent driver, they would pull around a 13.7 in the quarter mile.

The 99' Cobras had a recall because they weren't pulling anywhere near the horsepower they advertised.

Overall it was probably my favorite daily cruiser. It had some balls, handles pretty well, and was comfortable as hell. I still see it occasionally and one of these days I'll have to show it my Bricks taillights.:D

Originally posted by GN and Sho's

The 99' Cobras had a recall because they weren't pulling anywhere near the horsepower they advertised.

Yea they came from the factory with exhaust manifolds designed for the regular 4.6L and would not flow the numbers they were expecting, plus it had problems with the new IRS. They got that all worked out though.

Man you guys need to get your facts straight. All cobras up until 99 had a live axle. Cobras from 93-95 had the 302 in them, and it was changed in 96-now to a 4.6L DOHC higher revving angine, and these engines were aluminum.
Horsepower and torque:
93-> 235/285 underated
94-95-> 240/285 underated, but heavier car
96-01, none in 00-> 320/317 however problems in 99

What everyone has to realize is that the cobra is fast as hell, except they were very undergeared, especially the dual overhead cammed enignes. Just think of it this way GN/T-Types have 3:42's in them and the Cobra's have 3:27's :( An example of what one with a good driver can do with proper gears is what I accopmlished with my buddies 98 cobra. I pursuaded him to go with 4:56 gears, and as soon as the gear was set I would show him why. Stock, except for slicks he got the car to run 13.5's -6's. With the gears and slicks I got his car to run 12.8's!!! This just shows you how very undergeared these cars were from the factory.

P.S. MM&FF got a completely stock 93 Cobra to run 13.47 with just the 10 minute tune up :D

Sorry got caught up in the moment and gave bad info, the correct info is the hp/tq rating for the 96-98 cobras. It is supposed to be 305/300. Sorry bout that ;)

Not stock for stock. And if you are going to say the GNX then how about the 200 Cobra R, mustang still wins. I love the GN/T-Types but it's not like they are the best, and people have to recognize that they are not always the best. And if you want an even bigger mustang 2003 Cobra, quarter mile in 12.5 stock. By the way fast and quick are to different things, so Cobra's are fast because they can go faster then the TR stock.