You can type here any text you want

Astro hydroboost differences

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Blazer406

Mechanical Engineer
Sorry if this is in here somewhere..... I can't seem to find it.

What are the differences between the different years for the astro hydroboost setups?

Looks like one was made 90-93, then another for 94-95, and then another 96-02. I don't see in the online parts lookup at advance autoparts.... where one has abs... and the other doesn't....???

I see some on here... such as TinMan... that have used a 95 Astro setup sucessfully. I see someone else MIB? that used a 93 setup sucessfully.... evidentally both will work.... just not sure what is different.

Looking at everything I could google.... many conversions (on vehicles other than turbo Buicks....) also like using the 3/4 ton and 1 ton GM truck hydroboost setups. I see a few (replacement units for the 1 ton trucks) mention.....15000# GVW.....I assume they flow more (not necessarily more pressure... just higher volume)....due to the trucks with big GVW's require big calipers and wheel cylinders... that require more fluid......

GM has been installing them on trucks since 1973.....and misc other GM vehicles.... mostly diesel....

Looking at the autoparts stores online catalog..... the older truck hydroboost units are also cheaper... and the core charge is cheaper....

Are the design changes significant/worth it..... to step up to something like the Astro hydroboost in the mid 90's? .... as compared to the hydroboost units of the 70's and 80's?

From a numbers standpoint.... I would think replacement hydroboost units would be available for the trucks for a long timebecause they made so many of them.......just a thought....

Can someone help me make sense out of all this?

I don't know if the newer stuff is better or any different for that matter. I bought the 95 as it was available and the right price. It is all based on the same principle - hydraulics from the power steering pump. If the system you get comes with ABS you just wont have a connection from your wiring system. The system will start doing its thing as soon as you press the pedal and send the actuator in the right direction.

Go to this site and the "forum". There is quite a bit of info in regards to the different systems and it has a "search" feature. I believe they don't recommend the Ford system as it was designed to stop lighter weight vehicles?

Hydratech Braking Systems :: Hydroboost.com :: GM A/G Body

HTH

Back