You can type here any text you want

ATR Billet Roller Camshaft Setup Help

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mtocrs1

Mtocrs1
Hey guys, I need some help. I have a deal worked out on this camshaft setup. Can you take a look at the pick and verify everything is needed for proper
Camshaft.jpg
install? I have been doing some research and it sounds like the timing gear is machined specific for the camshaft? Can that be confirmed by anyone? This is not the original timing gear so I am a bit worried. Also, can the stock cam sensor gear be used?

I would discard that thrust setup and run one with a torington bearing. DLS has them. Even if that thrust setup is maintained It's up to the installer to verify the chain alignment and make any corrections by machining parts or adding shims if needed.

Thrust setup maintined? Can you elaborate, even if set up correctly there is maintenence? Do you know if the stock cam sensor gear can be used?

mtocrs1 said:
Thrust setup maintined? Can you elaborate, even if set up correctly there is maintenence? Do you know if the stock cam sensor gear can be used?

Maintained meaning you use it as is without altering the thrust assembly. If you were to do what I suggested it would require turning the flange down some also. There's no maintenance. The stock cam gear is used. The best thing to do is get a matched set of cam and cam sensor gears from DLS though

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Is there any machining required to the front cover if the current thrust setup is used? Does it look like everything is there to you bison?

The cam nose and flange are machined to fit the ATR retention parts, including the timing gear for the cam. When installed with the proper, compatible parts, we have found this method very reliable. :)

Other methods and types of retention may, or may not, fit or line up properly on the cam nose?

You MUST be sure upon final assembly that the cam and crank gears line up properly for proper chain alignment.

Also, I hope you are not pushing this engine hard, or have high valve spring pressures, as the cast cam gear is the weak link here. :eek:

Bison,Nick,
Thanks for taking some time to share some knowledge. So am I understanding this correctly? Everything appears to be there for proper installation. No machining will be required as long as timing chain alignment is correct? Keep in mind I am coming from flat tappet. The cam gear is weak leak but will work. Please correct me if I have misspoken.

Confused. It will probably all make sense with parts in hand.

So it looks like cam goes in, then the copper thrust bushing, cam gear and then aluminum collar followed by cam sensor gear and then the roller cam button.

Where can nice timing sets be purchased to fit cam if needed?
Thanks again guys.

Cam gear is bothering me. Any input? Were these special to the ATR Cams?Anyone know were an ATR cam gear can be purchased if needed?

Don't know if it's just the angle of the picture but the teeth on the cam gear look worn down.

Don't know if it's just the angle of the picture but the teeth on the cam gear look worn down.
Hmmm. Not sure, you would think the gear on sensor would wear first but...... I need a pic to compare to..

I use a set-up similiar to that. It was machined by a guy named Kip Asplund - this was many-many years ago.

I had no issues with mating the cam sensor gear, and setting camshaft end-play was the only real time consuming issue. After running this set-up, and dismantling my stuff, there was absolutely no wear on the inside contact surface of the front cover. It looks nice and clean.

Good Luck !!!

Attachments

• cam1.jpg
    cam1.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 228
  • cam2.jpg
    cam2.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 237
  • cam3.jpg
    cam3.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 243
  • cam4.jpg
    cam4.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 266
  • cam5.jpg
    cam5.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 238
I use a set-up similiar to that. It was machined by a guy named Kip Asplund - this was many-many years ago.

I had no issues with mating the cam sensor gear, and setting camshaft end-play was the only real time consuming issue. After running this set-up, and dismantling my stuff, there was absolutely no wear on the inside contact surface of the front cover. It looks nice and clean.

Good Luck !!!
Spooling, It looks like something is missing on the front of this setup.

It is possible, as I think there's a spacer used to drive a mechanical FP as the "Big Green Monster" (Dr. Frank) <-- :) alluded to earlier.

I will have to snap a pic when I get a chance - next time I am in the garage.

PS - the pics I posted were taken many years ago, probably back in ~ 1999 ---> 2001

make sure to check the roller wheels for side to side wear i had some they were not hardened right and the wheels were real bad in those lifters from that time frame. Didyou get a cam card with it?

No cam card. It is a 212/206. I still have an old ATR catalog that lists most of the specs.

ForumRunner_20121219_055034.png

Back