You can type here any text you want

Bad Lifter?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mtocrs1

Mtocrs1
Today I was inspecting my valvetrain in fear of a wiped cam lobe. Cylinder 4 pushrod does not start flowing oil until the car is almost warmed up. Can a wiped cam lobe cause this or do i just have a bad lifter?
What is the best way to checked for a wiped cam lobe aside from cam removal. Any help would be appreciated. Have the valve covers off and wanting to finish up in the morning.
Thanks.

If you...

pull out all the plugs to make manually rotating the crank assy. easier, assuming you verified the valve spring and rocker are not worn or broken, button is still in place. if you have a dial indicator, you can check the lift by rotating the crank assy. if in question, remove the rockers and pull out the push rod and inspect for blockage and straightness. If you have a tool to retrieve the lifter, it would be a good time to remove and inspect it for operation and any partial blockage or stuck plunger, etc. Pipe cleaners work well for cleaning out the p/rods. Take care in putting the lifter back in.
Might check the p/rod length at the same time. Hopefully it's just a collapsed lifter at worse case.:eek:
Hoope this helps.:cool:

Rocker arm lift seems real close with a dial indicator. dont think I have a wiped lobe. So could a faulty lifter cause the delayed oil flow. Chasing a tick tick sound. Oil pressure is good.

Any blockage ...

between the oil supply to the lifter bore and the rocker will hinder the flow of oil. Hopefully it won't be the bore itself that is worn, worse case scenerio.:eek: but I would vote for the lifter, it is not pumping up all the way.

Thanks

Shaddow2 thanks for the replies.
Yeah I also think it is a lifter. There is no blockage since once the oil does start flowing it is up to par. One thing I did notice are air bubbles in the oil coming out that pushrod. The air bubbles eventually go away. I dont think I will replace just one lifter as this is almost a sure fire way to wipe a lobe. I think I am just going to put it back together until I can afford a roller set-up. I will try and get a video so you guys can here the noise.

Many times, an exhaust manifold gasket leak or a small crack in the header will trick the ear into thinking it hears a ticking engine. Got a stethascope?

Mike Barnard

Many times, an exhaust manifold gasket leak or a small crack in the header will trick the ear into thinking it hears a ticking engine. Got a stethascope?

Mike Barnard

Yes I have a stethascope and cant really pinpoint the location of the noise with it. I thought it might be an exhaust leak as well. I have made up a device to pressurise the exhaust system from the downpipe forward using shop air. Have not got around to checking yet.
I will check it out and let you know.
The lack of oil flow still bothers me...
Thanks

I recently put together a new motor for my 67 Firebrid/LC2 hybrid and it had a noisey lifter almost from day one. This is the first motor I used Comp lifters in and it will be the last. I ended up pulling the intake and check everything and replacing the Comp lifters with a new set up Speed Pro's and I can hardly believe the difference. I had one lifter making a lot of noise but all of them were apparently pretty loud judging by much difference there was with the new lifters.

ttt

Well,

What was the problem?

Mike B.

Well,

What was the problem?

Mike B.

Well,
I have come to realize I have two problems.
1. The tick noise from my T.
2. Having a wife and kid that wont let me get into the garage. It seems like there is just not enough time in the day. I will keep you posted. Hopefully I will be able to get out to the garage this weekend.

Well I finally made it out to the garage and pressurized then exhaust sytem. I found that the downpipe to turbo connection is leaking. Will take care of this and recheck everything. Hopefully thats all it was!

Back