Bad problems....New guy and white smoke-HELP

FirePWR

Well, I was having some problems with a new to me T-Type (see other post, Here , then I took it to drive for a bit to see if anything was clearing up. Drove lightly with one time standing on the breaks and building some boost. Car felt like it was building then just let go. I let off and rolled forward, then got on it WOT and it reall felt good, picked up harder than it had earlier though I was working with an open dump this time. Anyway, drove it about 15 seconds to my door, parked, and it was puffing a small amount of white smoke. Went inside, came back out 10 min later, turned her over and after idling for about 1 minute, started BILLOWING whiteish smoke. Let it sit, took her out agian jsut around the block and got more smoke, not as bad, but smoke, and a service engine light was coming on, then would go off, then would come on, etc. No scanmaster yet so ? Checked the inlent for the turbo, small amount of play but not bad at all, no oil leaking anywhere, no smoke under the hood at any point, no oil in uppipe/throttle body. Radiator coolant is bright green, oil looks good and cant taste any coolant in it. It was raining outside and I had an open dump, but thats all I really know. HELP ME PLEASE. Cal Hartline, Kevin King, I don't suppose either of you are online tonight??? Central Florida is getting worried over here

Is the car missing? Does it feel down on power from before?

Do a compression check first, and see if you've got a cylinder down. A leak-down would be better, but not as easy or readily available as the other.
Did you just check side-to-side play on the turbo? I had one fool me one time. It seemed to be okay in that regard, but when I took the turbo off the car and truly checked it, there was extreme front-to-back play on the impeller shaft. I was unable to detect it when just grabbing the shaft with my fingers, while on the car. That proved to be my huge "white smoke" cause.

Could possibly be valve guides too.
Check the above mentioned things first.

Well, started her up the next morning, no smoke at all after idling for a couple minutes. Later that day, started her up, warmed her, and drove around lightly for aobut 8 minutes. Then drove it to Orlando to KDK to get it in to them. No smoke (exhaust rusted off so I had to ride with an open dump....kinda loud) but then at a light, testosterone got the best of me as some guy in a Ferrari 575 (Bucs player) looked over and threw some kind of rev at me. Threw back, just one quick pop on the throttle, white smoke came back. Friend following me said he saw some black smoke too while I was driving after that. I took it to KDK but I was hoping someone might be able to tell me what it might be. Hope I didn't blow anything.....

So, did you beat the guy?? I mean heck.. I know how bad of a problem it is running into those pesky Bucs players in Ferrari's at every light. :)

Honestly, I don't have much more to add to this. I too had a turbo go up and it was leaking out the exhaust side (from what I could tell). After replacing the turbo all was good.

Do you think it would be a turbo? It only smokes at idle, wouldnt a turbo do it at speed too? I didnt even race, thats why I felt like a moron. I was in the turning lane. Just couldnt let it go though-atleast I was open dump and he was on my right. I won the battle of decibels haha. Oh well, hope its not the turbo but what can ya do? How much does it run to rebuild a TE60? Thanks alot - Preston

I drove all the way to Bowling Green and back on a bad turbo. It would smoke at idle, but not going down the road. If I stopped and sat for a min it would start fogging for mosquitoes. Only other time it would start doing that was when I would crack out of the throttle sometimes on the highway.. especially if I had got into the boost. I had a friend behind me in a white T. I told him if he keeps following me all the way to BG, his call will look like a dalmation. But at cruising... no white smoke.

Yeah,,,what he said...

I had the exact same symptoms with my bad turbo, and, it too was a TE-60. It had snapped a tiny (99 cent) retaining clip inside, that cost me the entire turbo. I would suggest taking it off the car, and thoroughly checking it. Take the compressor and exhaust housings off if need be. It's just too simple of a job, not to do it.
And, if it does turn out to be hurt, but the housings aren't chewed up, you can buy just a rebuilt center-section for anywhere from $300-$400. Expensive, but not as bad as buying a whole new unit.

But, before you think about the cost, take the time to check it out, and then see where it leads you.