Ball Joint

85GNMIKE

I've called around local places on getting a ball joint pressed out and a new one pressed in, they all seem to want around $50 to $100. That's for one side. Are these people nuts or is that what it really costs?

well - bottom line is, they have the tool you don't.

You could always buy a press but, how often will you use it?

every market has their own prices...personally, i think that price is high but, what do you do....

Did you try any machine shops?

All or our local NAPA stores do stuff like that, and they're pretty reasonable. :cool:

Go to autozone a rent a balljoint press, I've done it many times. Get one of their tool rental handouts, they have all types of neat rental tools.

Originally posted by chris
Go to autozone a rent a balljoint press, I've done it many times. Get one of their tool rental handouts, they have all types of neat rental tools.

The balljoint press at my AutoZone was too small to do the G body lower ball joint.

My local friendly machine shop pressed out/pressed in new for $17.

I have used the balljoint press that they offer @ AZ. It was PERFECT. Basically, you BUY the tool ($99.99) and when you return it, you get your money back. Simple as that. It's their FREE loaner tool program.

The other day I was @ Harborfreight, and they had THE EXACT SAME TOOL there for about $40.00. If you plan on doing more than 4 sets of ball joint swaps in the next few years, BUY that one. It will save the hastle out of messing with the BUY & Return program they offer @ AZ.

Ryan

Originally posted by Spdrcer34

The other day I was @ Harborfreight, and they had THE EXACT SAME TOOL there for about $40.00.
Ryan

My Uncle bought the harbor freight balljoint press. And broke it before he finished 1 car.

Just an FYI.

Scott