Bates Nut Farm car show 7 June 2015

Tim,
I thought I drove past a pile of fluids, car parts and chicken feathers on the way home.:(
How bad is it? What were you trying to race? Did you win?

Sorry to hear of the carnage.

Had a great day....until I broke my transmission on Hwy 78 during the ride home.....
Grrrrrrrrrr.....

Thanks to all who made the show happen and to all the sponsor gifts that Ralph and his familia won. ;-)

Tim,

That sucks! Any idea of what broke?

Neal

Had a great day....until I broke my transmission on Hwy 78 during the ride home.....
Grrrrrrrrrr.....

Thanks to all who made the show happen and to all the sponsor gifts that Ralph and his familia won. ;-)

That's kinda funny, I also broke my transmission leaving Bates years ago. I busted the input shaft to be exact...rode the rest of the way home in a tow truck.

Disappointed we missed it the last few years, sick dad and crazy work schedule. Have only driven her about 200 miles in the last few years..we hope to be there next year..

Scott and sue

Bates 2015
This was my first time at this incredible show. There was a good representation of different GNs, GNXs, Ts, and Ltds..The TB vendor supported raffle was incredible. Thanks for putting on a great show. This was great place to meet other TB enthusiasts. Can't wait until next year.
Thanks
Skip

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1434258619924.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1434258619924.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 178
  • uploadfromtaptalk1434258674705.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1434258674705.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 176
  • uploadfromtaptalk1434258777514.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1434258777514.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 174
  • uploadfromtaptalk1434258898528.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1434258898528.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 178
  • uploadfromtaptalk1434258962183.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1434258962183.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 192
Last edited:
Fantastic time! definitely the best show yet!. I'm still kicking myself for not bringing my good camera. didn't even take one cell phone pic. I was just all wrapped up in the cars, people and conversations. so post pics if you have them.!
Andrew
p.s. wont forget the camera next time...

Tim,

That sucks! Any idea of what broke?

Neal
Niel Tims trans has all the good parts in it. These so called billet parts are about 20% stronger but these stroker motors are putting down about 550 to the wheels with as much torque no 200 trans is going to hold up to that for very long regardless of how or who builds it. Especially with the chickens right foot.

Tim,
I thought I drove past a pile of fluids, car parts and chicken feathers on the way home.:(
How bad is it? What were you trying to race? Did you win?

Sorry to hear of the carnage.

Was cruising along....SUV got between me and two other Grand Nationals I was tailing....SUV got out of the way....I nailed it from about 65mph to go around them and catch up with the two other GN's....after I went around them but before I let out or caught the other two GN's, the tranny gave out and completely neutralized so....I politely signaled and coasted to the right shoulder.
Zero engagement in any gear. Last time it did this it was the input drum.

Was cruising along....SUV got between me and two other Grand Nationals I was tailing....SUV got out of the way....I nailed it from about 65mph to go around them and catch up with the two other GN's....after I went around them but before I let out or caught the other two GN's, the tranny gave out and completely neutralized so....I politely signaled and coasted to the right shoulder.
Zero engagement in any gear. Last time it did this it was the input drum.

Sounds like the intermediate shaft on the forward clutch drum broke. I'd be interested to see what you find.

Neal

Hanging from my rear view mirror is my little reminder.........

"If you're going to romp on it at a highway speed, put the sumbitch in the slot that says "D"

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 192
I was trying to get Lonnie to answer this but maybe you guys can help, on a fully bullet stage 3 trans from Lonnie billet everything how much power can you put to it and keep it at wot for a 3/4 shift? Rather just keep it on OD. Probably won't hit the 4th gear shift but just encase

Neal, Tims trans has all the good parts in it. These so called billet parts are about 20% stronger but these stroker motors are putting down about 550 to the wheels with as much torque no 200 trans is going to hold up to that for very long regardless of how or who builds it. Especially with the chickens right foot.

Lou,

I know when Tim is involved there is an abuse factor that comes into play but when we were playing with 2004R's and seeing the same failure it was with the stock forward drum. When we went to the drum which Bruce Tolle was selling with the billet shaft we never broke another one. It makes me question the metallurgy of the billet drums that are on the market these days.

Neal

The billet drum that I'm familiar with that's in Tim's car is a stock drum with a billet center section welded in the center. There is also a billet input shaft & an overdrive drum these parts are stronger but still no guarantee not to break. What Lonnie or anyone else is using I'm willing to bet is more of the same. I don't build transmissions so I have to rely on the experts & work with what I can get. Whenever possible I try to avoid getting involved with that part of it. I have enough trouble trying to deal with all the rest of the issues that I can directly control. The 2004R is an instrument of the devil !

Lou,

You're right the drum is a stock piece where the intermediate shaft has been removed and upgraded with a billet piece then welded back together. I know that back in the day when Bruce was doing failure testing on his parts he determined that once the billet shaft was installed the weak point actually became the weld interface between the shaft and the drum. At some point you can only do so much to upgrade a transmission that was originally designed for 250 H.P and 250 ft lbs torque but these shafts shouldn't be breaking like they are. Personally, I miss my O.D. but a TH 400 is tough to beat for simplicity and reliability.

Neal

Lou,

You're right the drum is a stock piece where the intermediate shaft has been removed and upgraded with a billet piece then welded back together. I know that back in the day when Bruce was doing failure testing on his parts he determined that once the billet shaft was installed the weak point actually became the weld interface between the shaft and the drum. At some point you can only do so much to upgrade a transmission that was originally designed for 250 H.P and 250 ft lbs torque but these shafts shouldn't be breaking like they are. Personally, I miss my O.D. but a TH 400 is tough to beat for simplicity and reliability.

Neal
Yes Niel , the last billet part failure I had was the billet OD. drum where it was welded so my builder won't use them any longer.. The stock part would develop cracks in the spline area but I never seen one completely fail. Input shafts & third gear drum when they let loose will leave you by the side of the road quickly.

I dream of a time when a chicken could cross the road without having his motives questioned :wacky:

Last edited: