Beehive springs on Flat tappet?

Chris McDade

My comp 980 springs are junk. I have 75-80 seat pressure. my installed height is 1.800. I have my heads at a local shop talking about using a locator and a beehive spring (PAC series 1218, 1219, or 1215 or even the 1500 series which he says is the best). Have you ever heard of anyone running a beehive on a flat tappet? Is it nessacery? If, so what open pressure should a shoot for? Im going for 115 seat pressure. Im not sure on open.

If, I can't run beehive what should I go to. This will be a streetable 10.50 car.

Thanks,
Chris McDade

Chuck,
Im no professional here when it comes to all this........

How can you check it at 1.70? With shim? He used a gage and told me the installed height would be 1.80. It looks like the landing area where the spring sits has been machined in the past. Is that way the installed height is now 1.80 instead of 1.70?

Chuck,
Im no professional here when it comes to all this........

How can you check it at 1.70? With shim? He used a gage and told me the installed height would be 1.80. It looks like the landing area where the spring sits has been machined in the past. Is that way the installed height is now 1.80 instead of 1.70?

The springs should have had a spec w/ them, stating the seat pressure at a particular inst dimension.
It sounds as tho the installer used a "Hite Mic" to find what the actual dimension was. If the heads have had the spring seats cut, that would likely be why he got the 1.800. A .100 cut is a lot.
Or, it could have been a couple other parts that contributed to the added .100. A + .050 retainer, +.050 keepers, a .100 long valve.....
Kinda difficult to tell.
.100" shim pack is a lot.
You could get springs that would give you the desired seat/open pressure and be installed at 1.800.
I'd use care stacking a heavy spring on a flat tappet cam, tho.
Nothing wrong w/ a beehive spring, other than there's no "safety net", should 1 break.