Best Street Setup

I have a 87 gn that I drive anywhere and everwhere in the summer months, looking for the best street set up without taking away from how I use this car. I have already done cat back system, boxed control arms..kyb shocks...new cooling system.. trans cooler, plugs, wires, guages(oil pres, water temp, and boost. I have ready to go on the car siemens 60lb injectors, ecm with powerlogger and extreme g chip, ls1 maf, gen2 translator, red xp pump with hanger and hot wire kit, and alky kit and innovate lc1 wideband with guage....Turbo is stock and if it gets upgraded I would like to keep the heat shield in tack...I know I need to add a adjustable fuel pressure regulator...Hope im on the right track..Is this what Im looking for....is there anything else I need to get?? What kind of power range and times am I looking at with this set up...Keep in mind best street car low end is more important than top end. Do I throw a 2800 stall in or bigger throttle body maybe???? What else?? Thank you for any info, Mike

Last edited:
just how it is with the mods you have already (alky, chip, injectors, etc.) if you want a extremely fun driver, strap a ta-49 on it and put a 2800-3000 stall in it.

Similar combo here but with a bigger turbo. You're definitely on the right track. What about a 3" downpipe? I'd also recommend a metco safety loop. You should be able to run mid 12's with the stock turbo without much trouble, maybe better.

Similar combo here but with a bigger turbo. You're definitely on the right track. What about a 3" downpipe? I'd also recommend a metco safety loop. You should be able to run mid 12's with the stock turbo without much trouble, maybe better.
Would I need adjustable wastegate and boostcontrol on the downpipe?

I run an RJC 3" DP and run an adjustable HD wastegate actuator plumbed stock........works perfect with a TE60
Yes, you can install the factory heat shield on a TA49. If you run a 3" RJC/TH style DP, you'll have to trim the heat shield for clearance. Easy to do

I'd say you've got a nice driver already. Don't push it too far because once you do it ends up lime mine :(

A terry houston style downpipe will require you to cut your heat shield. I kept my original untouched and ordered a plain reproduction from gbody parts and painted it with cast coat aluminum and it looks better than the original. They trimmed it to clear the downpipe too. It should fit a ta49 no problem.

IMO If you want to keep it simple, install what you already have. Add an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and an adjustable wastegate actuator to the list. Get a test pipe if you don't already have one. Forget about changing the down pipe, and torque converter for now until you upgrade the turbo.

Im.pretty sure all.turbos fit under heat sheild. I had a te44 and that puppy would boogie.. def power plate and down pipe. You are ahead of the game so far. Some ppl might suggest valve springs. If you dont have a cold air intake get one,let her breathe easier..

49/44 turbo and a good converter and turn the boost up! With a good trans and tires of course.

I would do timing chain and valve springs as well. How many miles on the car?

X2 on the TE-44 or look at one of the smaller Billet Wheel turbos.....I would upgrade to a 2800 stall to get the best spool up....You got the tools you need to tune so get it dialed in and I bet you can see some low 12's....Are you running a stock tranny??